“Way more than expected”

TownePlace Suites Salt Lake City Layton
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Layton
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I've had plenty of decent and even excellent stays at various hotels. This one stands out in a unique way. The campus is fine, if not understated from the outside. The proximity to lagoon was my primary concern, and it was an easy 10 minutes. The areas that this establishment shine are not listed on any of their websites. The people are the reason that I will always loon to this hotel when I visit Utah, which is somewhat often. The staff for every position, on every shift, share the same attitude. They all strive to make the guests feel as close to being actual guests as possible. Every person I encountered reached out in a genuine way to make sure that I was not only satisfied, but comforted beyond the average, acceptable standard of care. We were exhausted and missed breakfast. Without asking, the housekeeping woman stopped what she was doing and immediately sprang into action to make sure that we had something for everyone in my family. It reminded me of staying with loved ones. The night shift manager from Germany and I had nightly chats about everything under the sun, and he gave advice for all manner of ways to enjoy our stay. The general manager, Brandi, feels like she could be a close friend of the family. There wasn't a single interaction where she wasn't asking to learn more about my family, creatively trying to come up with ways to help improve our stay and our vacation as a whole, going so far as to go purchase float toys for my six year old because she saw how much he loves the pool. The overall sense I have is that this entire staff holds their own Independant ownership of and responsibility for the happiness of the guests. They each behave authentically, and bring their own brand of care to their job. Every hospitality or service oriented company should strive for this type of atmosphere. I would choose this hotel again over any higher caliber establishment because of how I felt in staying here. The suite was also perfect for my family. The size, comfort, and lay out were better than expected. Do yourself the favor of staying here.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Ryan G

Reviewed 21 July 2014

this place is so awesome! I was shocked that I was so happy with it! I don't think I have ever has this experience at a hotel before. The staff is outstanding, the design and cute kitchen were perfect. The bed amazing just like home! Stay here!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

This was the perfect place to rejuvenate after a day of driving. The hotel was exceptionally clean, staff was super nice, and our room was quiet and well laid out. We had a mini kitchen that was stocked with everything you would need to cook a nice simple meal. We were really impressed with the amount of electrical outlets in the room, a feature way too many hotels overlook these days. The hotel is also close to Antelope Island, making it a good base of operations if you are exploring the park.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank legendsofthedesert
Reviewed 19 May 2014

First of all, the staff of the hotel could not be more friendly and helpfu. That includes everyone from the front desk, to the cleaning staff, to the folks that take care of the breakfast bar. That being said, the standard rooms are not "suites" by most people's expectations. There is a kitchen area carved out an ordinary-sized room that has a stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink, and good-sized refirgerator. However, this is all part of one room. Think, small-sized Fairfield Inn room with a kitchen area.

So on the good side: as with all Marriott properties, it was kept spotless. The hotel exercise room is small and basic, but next door is a Courtyard and guests of this hotel can use the somewhat larger workout room there.

Not so much: my bed was on the soft side and others in my group said the same about their rooms so the beds may be showing their age. Breakfast was basic and may get old for some if they stay more then a few days. There is not much food within a short walking distance so a car is essential, but then in the US that is true pretty much everwhere.

I would recommend this place to those looking to save by doing their own cooking and value is a primary consideration.

Room Tip: Bottom floor rooms are easy to access if one has a lot of stuff.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
TownePlace Layt... G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments and your feedback! It is essential for us to know your thoughts to ensure we are always improving. We do take pride in our friendliness and cleanliness, so I'm pleased that you experienced this to be true.
I am happy to let you know that our mattresses are currently being replaced and so far we have received great feedback from guests about the comfort of them. Also, we have recently incorporated new breakfast items, we have added a waffle maker, individual packed hard boiled eggs and more bread options.
I really hope you get the chance to come back and visit us! I believe you'll be pleased with the changes thus far.
Thank you again!
Brandy Adams

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been traveling quite a bit lately and I found this property to be adequate. They were remodeling around the lobby and it seemed hard to find where to go around the construction. The room was OK but a little worn and outdated. It served its purpose. I found the complimentary continental breakfast to be less than most of the competition.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
TownePlace Layt... G, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Salt Lake City Layton, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill out a review for us! I do however wish that you had a better than average stay! You mentioned that some of your concern with your stay was the renovations. I completely understand! it's never fun to check into a hotel expecting to have a problem free, relaxing stay and getting there to find out it's under construction and a bit of a maze to find your way.
I am happy to share with you that the renovations are nearing an end and the rooms are beautiful! I really hope that you will consider coming back to try us out again for a future stay. If you happen to make it back to the area, please feel free to reach out to me so I can ensure you are taken care of.
Thanks again for letting us know about your stay!
Brandy Adams

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Prior to arriving to the hotel I did not have much expectation after reading all the somewhat negative reviews. However, I think this hotel is not that bad and I would definitely return.
The good
- direct TV with DVR in room, TV is nice
- free internet, and I did not have to reconnect to it everyday.
- room is clean and the AC is not loud
- the sound proofing in the room is pretty good. I only hear the person next door when he coughs, I cannot hear anyone staying above me, and I did not hear any water running or water pipe noise when someone nearby is showering or flushing the toilet.
- very friendly staff, newly renovated breakfast area
- nice location, walking distances to super target and some restaurants
the bad
- like other has said, breakfast as of now don't have much options. But it was enough for me, fruits, yogurts, oatmeal, cereal, hard boil eggs and please don't take the hard boil eggs away even when you guys eventually have hot breakfast.
- I couldn't find the entrance to the lobby when I first arrived, and I still didn't know where the elevator is after 1-week stay (not big deal though)
- pillow needs updating, it's probably old and lose most of the structure. I couldn't sleep well on them

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We arrived on Nov 30. 2012 and stayed for almost a month as we had just moved to Utah and we were waiting to close on our house.

The best thing about the TownePlace Suites is without a doubt the staff. Very friendly and helpful. Kathy the manager, was fantastic as were all the other staff we encountered including the housekeeping staff.

The reason we chose this property was because of the kitchenette. Had we not needed it we would have likely stayed elsewhere.

The room we were originally in was a one bedroom with a pull out sofa for our two girls. The pull out was in terrible condition. I slept on it a couple of nights myself and it was the worst sleep I've ever had. The actual bed in the room was very comfy but if you are thinking that the pull out sofa will be good for kids or if you are a bigger party-It isn't. You'd be better off getting two rooms or requesting a 2 bedroom suite.

The décor is definitely dated and the property would benefit from an update.

For the last week we were moved to a 2 bedroom and that was infinitely better as the girls had their own comfy bed.

The complimentary morning breakfast was neat but after a month, very tired. Since this tends to be an extended stay sort of place they might benefit from providing an actual hot breakfast to guests. Just a thought.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family