“A good history lesson”

Silver Reef Museum
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Leeds
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Silver Reef was a mining boom town in the late 1800's with the discovery of silver in sandstone- a geological rarity. The area is now a Wild West Ghost Town located in a stunning geological setting. Start your visit at the Wells Fargo Express Stop Building and take a guided tour of the historic Museum, which is registered on the National and Utah State Registers of Historic Buildings. You will find numerous spectacular areas to visit within walking distance of the museum. Silver Reef is located 18 miles North of St. George, Utah, off I-15 at the 'Leeds' exit. NEW!!! Our FREE APP download is now available in the Itunes or Google Playstore. It is called "Silver Reef" and it will guide you on the walking tour of our Ghost Town. We hope it will engage you and give you an appreciate the way life once was in Silver Reef back in the late 1800's. Please enjoy it as a preview of our museum, or if you should visit when we are closed.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Cleveland, TN
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“A good history lesson”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Admittedly, I chose to visit this place because it was referenced In a Louis LaMour novel so I came with some perspective. But I found the information available quite interesting. As a visual, the remains of the town does not offer much, but it is a beautiful setting at the edge of the Dixie National Forest and the seen of some newly developed luxury homes. Views down the valley are beautiful and there is a great deal of information about the silver mining operations of the late 1800's. One might miss a tour of the Catholic and the Protestant cemeteries at the base of the hill which offer some interesting epitaphs. The museum was actually closed (Tuesday and Wednesdays we are told) but one of the trustees happened by and opened a supplemental building which had a great model of the town and an audio presentation of its history. Worth a stop.

Visited October 2013

Salt Lake City, Utah
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Hardly a "Ghost Town".”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

I was in town and had some time, thought I would stop by and see some interesting old buildings. What I was met with were some old walls in the backyards of some expensive looking homes. I realize that ghost town means town of the past, so I don't expect a full on house, but I also don't expect it to be in the backyard of some large homes. The museum wasn't open on the day I visited, so maybe that would add to the fun of the place. My general thought was "really?" That's it. I wouldn't go out of your way to see the place.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank LiveWithHope
SilverReef, General Manager at Silver Reef Museum, responded to this review, 17 March 2016
Thank you for visiting Silver Reef, I can understand your disappointment, since you were unable to visit the museum.
Silver Reef Museum/Ghost town is under new management, and is run by a new 501c3 , the Silver Reef Foundation, Inc.
We are open on Mon., Thurs., Fri., Sat. from 10am-5pm. (Closed Sun. Tues., Wed.)
We have a new APP, located in ITunes or Google Playstore called "Silver Reef" and it is a FREE download. It will take you on a virtual tour of our museum and grounds.
Next time you are nearby, please come back to visit, you will be glad you did!
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Beautiful area 15 minutes north of St. George”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Assuming you love the desert and majestic craggy cliffs and colorful rocks most of southern Utah is more amazing that 90%+ of the amazing places I have visited around the world. Think Lawrence of Arabia country.

Visited March 2012
Springville, Utah
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Published hours not honored”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Today was the second time I've attempted to visit the Silver Reef Ghost Town, and the Wells Fargo Museum. The first time I arrived just after 5pm and missed the opportunity. On a return trip one year later I made sure I arrived more promptly...the sign on the door indicated that they had limited hours this week--Thurs, Friday, Saturday, from 10-5, and the recording for the museum confirmed those were the hours for this week (Oct 18-20). it was a little before 4pm and they were closed.

I understand limited funding for extended hours. However, since I went out of my way a second time to visit, I am quite disappointed that they didn't at least honor their posted hours.

The handful of old buildings and items outside the museum are of some interest, but not worth the trip off the freeway without getting in.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Peg I
SilverReef, General Manager at Silver Reef Museum, responded to this review, 18 March 2016
Next time you are nearby, please come back to visit, you will be glad you did!