“Really looking forward to this, and it was a big let down!”

The Homestead Crater
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Midway
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We heard about this on some travel shows, we actually live just a little more than an hour away, so we were excited to give it a try. It was very crowded, there was not much space or relaxing. I think it could have been nice had there not been at least 3 dozen scuba divers, taking up the space. I feel like it was a waste of time, and money, and was very disappointed. I wish they would tell you when you call to sign up how crowded it is really going to be. They should also let you swim around for a few moments without the bulky life jacket so you could truly relax, and the only thing to see snorkeling is the divers bubbles. It is to bad the place has potential.

4  Thank Erin C

Reviewed 30 June 2014

the warm waters and friendly staff created a feeling of safety that added to the experience of completing my open water scuba certification

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was interesting to see. I definitely wouldn't pay to get in it. We walked around, had a look and asked a few questions. Always fun to see what nature has in store for us. Wouldn't travel far to see it, though!! We stayed just a few blocks away so worth stopping by for sure.

1  Thank Melissa D
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a blast visiting the crater. From looking at the entrance of the crater, the inside is so unexpected. It was a nice cold day outside, so a soak in the geothermal crater was a wonderful way to relax in the afternoon. The snorkeling gear isn't necessary, but might be fun for the kids as you can watch the bubbles from the scuba divers coming up and it's fun to float over the bubbles. I did get a few bug bites while I was there (I'm prone to getting bit, my husband didn't get any bites), but overall my skin felt amazing after visiting the crater.

My husband and I bought a groupon so we decided to visit the crater. The groupon saved us the fee for the snorkeling gear, so don't feel you need a groupon to be able to afford it. The activity center offers more than the crater, so you could definitely make a day of it.

1  Thank samjanetrip
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Crater, a natural mineral hot spring, is an excellent place (get ready to spend a little extra) for fun either as an individual, couple, or family. They offer scuba diving (whether you're licensed or not and offer gear if you need it) swimming, and snorkelling. The water is very deep and very clear. not for people who have claustrophobia (fear of tight or enclosed spaces). Also located at the activity center is billiards, ping-pong, shuffle-board, tennis, horseshoes, boardgames, and more.