“The only thing not to love about Monument Valley is the food at the View Hotel”
Review of The View Hotel

The View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Monument Valley
Reviewed 20 October 2009

The rooms and halls at the View are nothing to write home about. They remind me of budget hotel/motel interiors. They could greatly benefit by getting rid of the "white" walls. The only thing going for the rooms is the view from each rooms balcony. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant on site. We were very disappointed in dinner. They desperately need to get someone who can cook in the kitchen. I have to admit, breakfast was an improvement and the staff was more cheerful and attentive. But, they have a long way to go to make this a real wow. Paint and a cook would be a step in the right direction. I would recommend the View Hotel only because the rooms look out on the wonderful rock formations and because it is so accessible. You don't have to travel outside the Park for lodging.

1  Thank tumblentumbleweeds58
Write a ReviewReviews (5,895)

Reviewed 20 October 2009

It was a long ride from our home in Tempe, AZ but well worth it. The hotel was easy to find with a large sign at the highway turn-off. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The hotel is well-named with each room having a fantastic view of the valley. It is not really a valley by the way. I drove my 4 Runner so we could drive the 17 mile tour ourselves. The tours that are available are very expensive. I would not drive this road without a high clearance and 4WD vehicle. The rooms are very nice with microwave,TV and fridge. The only complaint I have about the hotel is the dinner we had the first night. I got the sirloin steak and the knife could hardly cut it. Very tough meat and lots of grissle.

2  Thank alzwel
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Our stay here was very nice. The room modern and clean. Most of the staff were also nice, just a few exceptions. They were not rude, just indifferent. We stayed on the third floor which really doesn't afford any better view than the other rooms and may not be worth the extra cost. The only advantage is you won't hear people above you, as noise does seem to be a problem. We were five doors down from the ice machine and it sounded as if it was in our room when anyone got ice. I felt bad for the people in the room right by it. There was a fridge/micro in the room but no place to plug it in. All in all it is worth at least one night as the sunrise/sunsets are amazing.

2  Thank hikes
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Thank goodness I was lucky enough to get the 25% discount advertised online. I paid $161 per night for a "Stargazer Room, " rather than the rack rate of $215. Even though, I think I paid too much for the value I received.

The view was absolutely incredible, as everyone else has stated. However, despite the view, it was like staying in a very low-budget motel chain. The room with 2 queen beds was barely large enough to squeeze in the beds. And the balcony was so small that it really was not a comfortable place to sit for very long. I did enjoy the sunrise and sunset each day, however. And I was able to snap some incredible photos directly from my balcony.

There was a nice 37 inch flat-screen LCD TV in the room, but none of the channels were in high def. And to watch TV, you had to lie on your bed. There was no sitting area of any kind to speak of in the room. Perhaps a small sofa and or a couple of comfy chairs would have been a nice addition to the room.

The bathroom was tiny, and having the towels rack directly above the seatless toilet seemed quite unsanitary. The towels, however, were nice and big and fluffy.

There are not many lodging choices in the Monument Valley area. But I suppose this is indeed the #1 place to stay, due to its fantastic location. I just do not understand why the designers of the hotel could not have made the rooms a bit more spacious. That certainly would have increased the comfort factor.

Regardless, I highly suggest a 2-night stay at this hotel. That will give you a full day to explore the 17-mile valley loop drive on your own, which is what I did. I saw the crowded and very dusty tour vehicles rushing through the park. I think I made the right decision to not take a "guided" tour. Why pay 50 to 75 bucks for someone to drive you around an area which you can easily navigate in your own rental car? The tour companies tell you that they take you to places which other vehicles can not go. But you do not see any more of the valley than you do from your own vehicle. Plus, I was able to enjoy a leisurely pace on my schedule, rather than be hurried through the sights like a bunch of cattle packed in the rear of a pickup.

The food and the service in the restaurant was OK. Again, what other choices do you have? Maybe one day it will dawn upon the management to perhaps offer room service. On the other hand, there really is not enough room to eat in your room. Might as well head on down to "The View Restaurant," which seems more designed to handle the numerous tour buses which stop here every day, rather than catering to the guests of the hotel. Warning: you can not charge your meal at the restuarant to your room. That is kind of strange.

Enough talk. Have a look at my photos.

3  Thank SC_Hawaii_Traveler66
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We had booked and fully paid in advance for a special "moonlight" room (where the ceiling is half glass) so that our 6 year old daughter has a WOW experience in her first trip to the US. We were driving from quite far, so we reached late at the hotel, only to be told that our room had been given away as an upgrade to someone else. We were furious - given that we had fully paid for it in advance, and having nowhere to go with a young sleeping child. The hotel manager was rash enough to say "You can go somewhere else". There were no hotels nearby and we finally settled for a "normal" lower priced room. As expected we hardly enjoyed the stay. The next morning they said that they would refund the extra money that we had paid in advance for the special room compared to a normal room. To which we replied that we had not travelled all the way from London to the US to be penny pinching, and what we cared about was the "special" experience, not the few dollars more that it had cost us for the special room. And of course, the hotel did not live up to its promise. The person at the front desk (not the manager - he refused to speak to us) thought about it and then decided to refund our full payment. We appreciated the effort to make amends, but unfortunately it still left a bad taste. The positive aspects of this hotel, I would say are the fantastic location, good decor, and the lovely native Navajo handicrafts store. I would recommend this hotel to a friend, but also advise to cross check a few times before arrival that the room booked is available.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2009

What a perfect name for this hotel! We only spent one night there (9/25/09) and it was more beautiful than we imagined. The rooms are spacious, each with a balcony facing the monuments. Sunrise and sunset were awesome ...breathtaking ... everyone watching in silence from their own balcony. To be immersed in Native American culture was a treat. The food was great, as was the service. The staff was attentive. The lobby and public areas (inside and out) were filled with authentic arts and crafts. This is an area my husband and I wanted to visit for years, and it did not disappoint. To enhance your stay, we recommend a guided tour to take you into the valley where you cannot go on your own. We were very happy with Sacred Monument Tours.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maryannm
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Wonderful, wonderful. I'll not belabour the view bit too much as you've heard it all before. Sunset is even better than sunrise. Make sure you do the loop road at least, if not a guided tour.
The room was lovely, the beds were divine, and the balcony great for supping wine at sunset.
Restaurant not quite so good - and no alcohol served so make sure you've got some in your fridge - I had chicken quesadilla which tasted just like a cheese and onion toastie (I'm English and love them, but not when they are called chicken quesadilla!). Husband had mutton stew which he said was ok but a bit watery and no seasoning. However it was cheap (surprisingly!) and the staff were efficient and smiling.
Would I stay there again? Would I! It was our most expensive hotel during our 2 week trip but well worth it. The view is unique and magnificent.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Monument Valley
#2 of 4 in Kayenta
The View Campground
The View Campground
#1 of 3 in Monument Valley

Been to The View Hotel? Share your experiences!