“A fabulous tour of a fascinating place.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 20 Tours in Monument Valley
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fabulous tour of a fascinating place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

We were very lucky to be the only 2 people doing this tour, other operators had full vehicles, so we had a private tour. We had a very personal tour with our guide also showing us the Mystery Valley. The tour was listed as 2 1/2 hours, but we spent at least 3 hours among the outstanding scenery. Patrick happily told us about Navajo life and showed us the best places to take our photos while explaining the names and history of the numerous features. We thoroughly enjoyed our tour and would recommend it to anyone who wants to see this fascinating place.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Jack_A_11719

Nottingham UK
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A brilliant way to spend a morning!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We opted for a tour of Mystery Valley and were not really sure what we were going to see. We met our guide, Patrick, in the hotel car park and were the only four people on the tour. Patrick was extremely knowledgable and friendly and took us out in a modified pick-up truck with about 12 seats and an overhead shade. It was a good 3 hour tour with a plentiful supply of cold water.

After a short trip down the road, we went off onto a sandy trail to view areas of the valley off limits unless you have a guide. We saw ancient ruins and paintings, wonderful rock formations and were able to climb up through rock arches. Patrick answered all our questions and provided us with lots of information but never once made us feel rushed.

Visited August 2011
4 Thank MATTNottinghamUK
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent 3 Hour Sunrise Tour - Thank You!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

Our tour of Monument Valley in the morning was absolutely marvelous!
We booked a private sunrise tour the evening before May 21, 2011 for May 22, 2011 @ 5:00 a.m. with Blackwater Tours. It was kind of pricey at $176.80, but it was worth every penny. In the morning, our guide Patrick was there at 5:00 a.m. waiting for us at the Monument Valley Visitor Center parking area. There were some other companies and people there, but when we started the tour it seemed like the whole valley was reserved for us, there was not a soul around. While on tour, our guide Patrick was very informative and knowledgable about the local area, culture, and geology. Around the middle of the tour we reached an area of many arches. After a few arches, we stopped at a place called "The Hogan Arch", there Patrick sang a beautiful native song that touched my heart, I will always remember it.

I greatly recommend Blackwater Tours and an open vehicle if you visit Monument Valley.

There was another article here that bothered me. We were there at 5:00 a.m. there were two Blackwater Tours guides, how did that person not meet his tour guide?

Visited May 2011
2 Thank tracy g
UK
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“Overcharged/payment issues but good guide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

We did not book our tour until the day we arrived in Monument Valley. I had looked on trip before I went and decided to go with Navajo Spirit tours but I could not contact them. The only tour company I managed to get through to on the phone and they had same day availability were Blackwater.

Now I was told on the phone that the three hour tour would be $60 each, when we were picked up we were told 65$ each. Then the guys credit card machine would not work so we were forced to use the limited cash we had left on us or be charged to us the ATM machine. However, I did not have change and handed over $140 and couldn't get change so it cost us $70 each!!!

We were the only two on the tour so in effect it was a private one which was great. Frank our guide was lovely and it was a good trip. Unfortunately, we only had $10 left on us for a tip and the 'boss' had taken all our cash which is a real shame but we did explain this to him.

Finally, when I called I asked if there was anything we needed to bring with us e.g water, I was assured this would be provided so no need, however, this was not the case luckily I decided to take water anyway otherwise it would have been a long and thristy three hours!

All in all I would not use them again or recommend them before of the hassle and over charging.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank NichaUk
Canberra
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Something missing from this tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Our tour guide was a nice guy but didn't give as much information about Monument Valley & Mystery Valley - in particular about local history, culture and customs. We choose Blackwater Tours because of the positive reviews on Trip Advisor but would not recommend if you'd like local info as well as the transport this company offers.

Visited May 2011