“Gourmet Delight”
Review of Zucca Trattoria - MOVED

Zucca Trattoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harrison Boulevard
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I had dinner last night at Zucca with my daughter and son-in-law. My daughter had a perfectly prepared lobster risotto which was loaded with large chunks of lobster. My son-in-law had a rib eye steak. His only problem was when first delivered it was a bit rare. A problem which was quickly solved. My choice was one of the specials three perfectly prepared lamb chops, served over a smashed pea and mashed potato mixture infused with mint! Delicious. There were also some roasted baby carrots and haricot vert. Everything was delicious. We followed our meal with my daughter and son-in-law having servings of gelato and I had an absolutely perfect panne cotta! I have never had better panne cotta or lamb chops. This place deserves five stars and I will definitely return soon!

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Service was awesome and you have to try one of their brick oven baked pizzas! They are also able to accomodate our huge group of 20 with no problems or delays.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Over three years ago, I wrote a 5 star review for Zucca. I visit the restaurant often as I can walk to it from my house. The best thing about Zucca currently is the deli. It has awesome carry-out sandwiches and a variety of meats, cheeses, and other unique products. The service at the deli is amazing and the guy who makes the sandwiches is a real sandwich artist. Put the olive salad on everything - it is amazing.

In the past few years, the restaurant section of Zucca has been through some changes. The head chef left to work in Salt Lake City and the menu was significantly reduced. The food has been a bit less consistent. For example, on a recent visit, my gnocchi needed seasoning badly (and there was no salt on the table). However, what has really gone downhill is the service.

Twice this winter, we have walked to the restaurant at about 7:45-8:00pm. Both times, the restaurant was not busy, and both times, we received horrible service. Most recently, we sat for 15 minutes until someone came to even take a drink order. At that point, it was a server from a different section who claimed he had no idea where our server went. After that, service was okay.

The previous visit, we had very slow service for the first two courses (apps and salads with drinks). We do not mind slow service; in fact, we actually like it if we are hanging out with friends and chatting. However, when it came time for dessert, we were told that they were about to close and they couldn't make several of the desserts because it was too late. We were then given a consolation tiramisu that was of very low quality. The reason why we were trying to order dessert so late was because of the slow service/food output. Again, we didn't care, but we should not have been treated rudely because of it.

We are a pretty easy going group when eating out as long as the food is good. Slow service is fine, but being ignored or treated like second class citizens because we arrive later in the night or are seated in a certain section is just inexcusable. If anything, a restaurant should be excited to have a four-top show up after the first round of dinners have been served and turned.

Unfortunately, we are at the point where we are done with Zucca. There are two excellent servers at Zucca, but we never seem to get them anymore. The others have seem to have lost the will to care. We love Zucca because we can walk there, but we will now probably take guests to The Sonora Grill or Slackwater when we go out to eat. On the up side, we will still visit the deli frequently for sandwiches that cannot be beat.

4  Thank 50daysboarding
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Before going to the airport to leave Ogden our friends took us here. Great time, great lunch and fantastic server. (Forgot her name). We all had different foods - soup, salad, pizza, sandwiches. Everyone was pleased. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had a table of 12 on 4 Dec for dinner. It was only after everyone was seated that we were informed that there would be no pizza and no bread available due to a non-functioning oven. Unhappily we decided to stay and order. 2 hours later we were finally served our meals. I had the calamari which was so burnt that you could barely bite through it. The caprese salad was not much better. Others who ordered the "valore" menu commented that both quality and portion size was wanting. The service was worse than the food. This restaurant is nowhere near what it once was. Oh and to top it off they charged us corkage fees for the wine we brought in you would think an Italian restaurant with no oven would have cut us a break. Never again.