“Good overnight spot if you have dogs”

Holiday Inn Express Ogden
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Very pet friendly and great grass area surrounds the hotel for easy walking of the dogs. Room was very nice, breakfast has good selection of food. Our room faced the highway and we thought the noise would be a problem but they have double windows which really helps. My only complaint is I wished that had doubled the walls between the rooms. Our neighbor had his TV blaring all night and I could hear every word of his telephone conversations. Try and get a room away from other people and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 April 2008

The weekend of April 18-20, 2008 my two children & I took a weekend trip to Ogden. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express off 21st street. I’m writing to notify you of the most horrific, disturbing experience I have ever experienced in a public location, in my entire life! On the morning of Sunday, April 20, 2008 at aprox. 8:15A.M., we were eating breakfast at the hotel. I was simply looking for cream cheese for a bagel. I asked the breakfast attendant, “excuse me, do you have any cream cheese?” To which she barked, “BEND OVER!” Completely caught off guard by her response, I stared at the butter/ jam spread trying to figure out what she was talking about. Again she barked at me “BEND OVER!!” Still, trying to understand, thinking that was a new brand of cream cheese of some sorts, I feel an abrupt jerk to my head (she had grabbed my neck) & I was forced down to where my head was at the level of my hips & I hear her yell, “THERE!!” as she precedes to point to the back of a lower tray & in the back of it was cream cheese. At this point I’m dazed & dumbfounded that all this is really happening. I try to stand up, but she is still holding me down! I physically have to push her off of me in order to stand erect. All I could hear was the employee laughing as if that were a joke.

I look out for my children at our table, when I see every hotel guest in there staring at me, all wide eyed & jaw’s dropped. When I focus on my children have the look of fear in them & obvious deep concern for their mother. I have never been so publicly humiliated in all of my life, and in front of my 2 young girls.

When checking out I ask for the manager, only the desk clerk was available. I tell her my story & she at least briefly apologized, but didn’t even offer any ramifications to such an outrage. Holiday Inn Corporate said I shouldget a call with in 21 days!

I’m at a loss of words for this experience. I thought you’d be interested in the travel experience I, my children, & every hotel guest in the breakfast room experienced, during our visit to Ogden.

CONCLUSION:
GM said she would comp our 2 night stay (I can't validate that was done yet) but refused to offer any compensation or future stays for the "inconvenience" I encountered as I could not prove such a story against the employees word, whom they are trying to work with since she's been there for 7yrs... The assulting employee only got sent back to training, not fired.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank attacked
Reviewed 19 September 2007

The hotel is a typical HI Express.....clean, comfortable, predictable.
HOWEVER!!!!!! This particular HI Express is located less than 20 yards from a busy interstate off ramp. Even under normal conditions, this makes for a sometimes noisy environment. During my stay......and probably for the past several months (at least), and into the near future (at least).....there was a major road construction project going on at this off ramp and junction.
Most of the time the noise was short lived and tolerable. But, on the last evening of my recent four night stay, the noise level got INSANELY bad!!
Beginning about 11:30pm, the construction workers began breaking up the pavement on the ramp......20 yards outside my window!! The machine being used literally crushed the pavement by pounding it to death....and in the process, shook and rattled the hotel. For hours and hours, the entire building vibrated, the pipes in the walls shook, the TV in my room hopped across the shelf it sat on....to the point I thought it would fall to the floor.
Needless to say, there was NO sleeping with this going on. About 1:30am, I got dressed and went down to the front desk (who wouldnt answer their phone!) to ask what was going on, and how long it would last.
The front desk clerk told me it would go on until 5:30am (she saw a sign on the ramp that told her that..), and rather flippantly said she didnt have any "Excedrin" to help my head with the pounding.

While I realize the road construction was out of the hotel's control, I was very disappointed in their reaction (or NON reaction) to the incredible disturbance going on (literally) right outside the property! As far as I know, no effort was made to compensate guests for the horrible night we all spent there, no effort was made to stop the construction teams from hammering the pavement all night long, and not even an apology was offered.
At the very least, it would have been nice to get a warning earlier in the evening that this road destruction was going to occur.

While I really like the HI Express brand for their value, I will NEVER stay at the HI Express in Ogden, Utah again....and I travel to the Ogden area regularly on business. I will also make sure to advise all of my colleagues to avoid HIE Ogden at all costs. Overall, I was VERY disappointed with my stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank krphantom
Reviewed 15 August 2007

WATCH OUT! This hotel will not guarantee your reservation, even if you have a printed confirmation and secure it with a credit card.

I made reservations online weeks in advance and secured them with my credit card. However when I arrived shortly after 8:00 PM my reservation had been cancelled and room given away. No apologies. No help finding another hotel. Nothing. My printed confirmation and printout of the email confirmation were as meaningless as the "Book With Confidence" guarantee on the hotel's website. Thanks Holiday Inn Express for leaving me and my family out in the cold! DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK SLEEPING IN THE PARKING LOT!

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank elbarth
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We arrived earlier than expected and we had a room at noon. Front Desk was helpful with directions and ideas for places to lunch.
Our King N/S room was comfortable and A/C was on.
Bed was triple sheeted with high tread count sheets and had both soft and medium pillows on the bed (6 total).
Room was clean with plenty of soap, shampoo and lotion.

The only complaints that I have was that you could smell the chlorine from the pool on the third floor. And it took two days to get trash next to elevator emptied. Pretty putrid, and husband complained twice to get it done.

Fresh hot cookies in the lobby in the evening. And the CB was traditional fare.

Restaurant across the parking lot, Cactus Reds was nothing to brag about. Service was fine, after the hustle of being seated. Wait staff was courteous and attentive. But the food lacked flavor, spice(except massive amounts of chili powder), and was overcooked. Million Dollar potatoes were pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2007

The parking lot at the Holiday Inn Express offers little shade on hot summer days. The lot is adjacent to the Comfort Inn and Cactus Reds. Upon our arrival to the Inn, the staff was pleasant described the guest reception and hotel amenities. The guest reception was held at the Comfort Inn but we opted to skip it. We wanted to visit the Dinosaur Park before it closed.

The check-in was efficient and we quickly reached our room. The room was wonderfully cool on a hot day. The air-conditioning worked perfectly. The two beds were made with clean white sheeting and we slept very comfortably. The bathroom was utilitarian but clean and bright. The bathroom products had a pleasant cinnamon smell. It seems all the chains need their own scent these days.

As we had a young traveler in the car most of the day, we looked forward to the pool. The small indoor pool and hot tub area offered little in the way of ambiance. The area reeked of chlorine and the grey concrete gave the area an institutional feel. Nonetheless, the young traveler enjoyed the pool until 3 unsupervised teens overran the area. The pool is not deep enough for safe diving but posted warning are clearly ignored. The pool is small enough even one person can disrupt the pool. The spa was relatively large compared to the pool. Following our dip we dried off with the miniature towels available poolside. Some of the towels and debris left behind by others were still present the following morning.

The fitness area comprised treadmills, an old weight machine and an older stationary bike. The room itself had water and towels but the equipment could use an upgrade.

The continental breakfast was the standard assortment of breakfast cereals, bread products and overly sweet pastries. They did have hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and bananas but every thing was fairly generic. The local specialty was a biscuit with gravy. This was one of the more interesting options. Really, these options were just fine for travelers passing through not expecting a gourmet meal. In our child’s case these options were great!

It wasn’t the Ritz but it was a pleasant stay and if we were passing through the area again we would probably stay here again. Certainly, it was a good value for our money.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We stayed here one night with our 4 kids before flying home out of Salt Lake City. The room was excellent. The pool was very good as this is one of the few Holiday Inn Expresses I have stayed at where the water was warm. The breakfast was excellent (great cinnnamon rolls) and all items were replenished quickly. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family