“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Ogden
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

My family and I stayed here on our way to Arizona. It was a gorgeous hotel with a giant fireplace in the lobby. The room on the 2nd floor had beautiful views of the mountains. The only negative comment I would have to say is the desk clerk who checked us in seemed rather lazy and couldn't care less if we stayed there or not. He didn't go out of his way at all and when I asked him a question about the local grocery store, he seemed annoyed that I would have to stop him from what he was doing. When we asked where we could buy souveneirs, he pointed to a room off to the side and when we stood there waiting for help...he didn't come, nor did anyone else! (but he could see us in there) Apart from front desk service, the rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. The next time we pass through we would love to stay there....we just hope the same guy isn't working.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

This hotel is lovely inside, has super comfy beds, and provides excellent free wifi. Behind my room was a lovely short trail around a man-made waterfall and maintained garden/lawn. My only gripes are no free breakfast (though a restaurant is nearby with great ratings), horrible train noise throughout the evening (kept waking me up), and an ill-conceived bathroom layout. The bathroom is a crammed space with a toilet and bathtub/shower. The sink is in the main room with plenty of space. I did not take advantage of the spa or pool. Also, the front desk could not provide me with a bottle opener.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Glendale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

After checking reviews on TA and other sites, everything about the hotel sounded fine. The fact it has the BW endorsement was also a key.

Since I was attending a 4-day business conference, I made my reservations two months prior to my stay. When doing so, I specifically asked about the wi-fi because I had to do some work that requires online access a couple hours per day. In other words, it was an IMPORTANT consideration for selecting this property.

Soooooooo...we arrive in Ogden, check in to the hotel and get a room we all the things I requested -- ground floor, smoking, two beds. etc. The room was clean and just fine.

About an hour after unpacking, I hooked up my computer and attempted to connect to the hotel's server. Bang -- low or no connectivity message pops up. After several attempts to correct it, I decided it was fruitless and headed to the office, which was clear across the parking lot.

I asked why I couldn't get connected, and the gal behind the desk said the wi-fi was kaput to that section of the hotel but I could bring my laptop to the office where it worked. Of course, the last thing I wanted to do was spend two hours sitting in the hotel lobby every day.

Naturally I asked why she didn't tell me that when we checked in. If she had, i would have looked at other options. She said they had supposedly contacted the company the week prior, and someone was supposed to be there on Mon. We checked in on the following Weds. We eventually cut our trip a day short, checking out on Sat. rather than Sun. so I could return home to finish the work I need to do by Mon. afternoon. In short, the wi-fi was down for a minimum of a week and was never repaired. That's not a good way to run a business.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tonyaz10
bwhci, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Country Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
First of all let me apologize for the inconvenience of our wi-fi system not working in your room. The device that managed about six of the wi-fi antennas for our facility went down the week before your stay. We got that repaired and everything was running great, or so we thought. When I saw your post on trip advisor, I had my technician back out and we discovered that the antenna directing signal to the four rooms around where you stayed was not functioning. I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this caused you. I hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the future.

Brandon Peterson
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

Easy to locate, front desk helpful, rate was middle of the road, very clean room, nice tv and wireless internet. Only down mark,,,,no continental breakfast.

Hotel was full the nite of our stay. Pool was open and water was sparkling clean.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Gresham, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

My rant : Pool closed, check in desk did not inform. No cont breakfest- coffee & tea. Restaurant across parking lot. Hot tub smell and very noisy. Can park larger truck in back.
This is not what a Bestwestern Plus is about. Recommend you try the Cotton Wood Best Western, they have value for your money.
DO NOT make the mistake I made by staying here!

Room Tip: Go to another Best Western Hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MauiEagleRay
bwhci, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS High Country Inn, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
We had someone enter our property and steal the safety hand rail from our pool. The health department ordered us to shut it down until we could replace it. We had a sign on the pool gate and I asked my front desk staff to inform each guest of this. I apologize that you were not made aware of this closure. We got the new hand rail in, and the pool is back open.

We do operate our own full service restaurant on the premises. The ownership of this property has elected not to offer a free continental breakfast. I apologize for the inconvenience that this caused for your trip.

Brandon Peterson
Marysville, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

Rooms are clean, and recently updated with pillowtop mattresses, micro and refer. They have recently redone the decor and it is very lovely. Downside -- no breakfast and pool was gross -- my kids wouldn't swim in it even with the heat! Nice location. We did ask for a "non-pet" room based on other reviews and they were more than willing to accommodate us.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cariboukb
Bend, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

While traveling through Utah on a recent trip my partner and I spent 1 night at this Best Western. As is usually the case with Best Western properties the Inn was clean and the room furnishings in good condition. That said, there was nothing that really stood out. Nothing great, but nothing that was a problem either. The Inn has a nice walking path in the rear of the property and there is a pretty nice restaurant next door. But that's about it. It's adjacent to I-15 which made it convenient for our purposes and although the road in front of the hotel is fairly busy, road noise didn't seem to be a problem. We did not use the pool as it was still closed for the season. So, if you want a clean and easy to access night's stay this Best Western will do the trick. But don't expect many bells or whistles.

Room Tip: Back side of the property might be quieter.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple