“Basic coffee shop”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Basic coffee shop, nothing special but nothing wrong with it either. We've eaten here a few times over the years and while passing thru last week it's the one we chose for breakfast based on experience. There's also a small gift shop attached. Oh, one out of the ordinary thing is they always have some corny humor books on the tables which are also for sale in the gift shop. A nice break from the usual look at the table until your order is ready.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stopped on our way back to Idaho after visiting family in Arizona. We had breakfast and were impressed with our server and her friendliness. The food arrived in a timely manner. My daughters (7 and 9 years old) ordered French toast. Since there was no kids' breakfast menu they got the regular portion. It was more than either could eat. The oldest daughter also wanted a cinnamon roll so we ordered "The Biggest Darn Roll You'll Ever See." It came as advertised. It was the size of a loaf of bread. Since it was so big, it had to bake to a very crispy crust. We had to use a knife to cut through it. Otherwise, it was very good. My wife ordered the ham and eggs while I had the sausage and eggs. The food was good with the typical diner preparation.

1  Thank gambted
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We chose the Flying M for breakfast as we were leaving town on a Saturday. We were running at a leisurely pace so we were later than the typical morning breakfast rush. We entered through the main entrance which takes you in through the gift shop. As the menu mentions, the Flying M was started by the Moore family in the 1940s and probably not much has changed on the menu or in the decor since.

I'm guessing that we had the same server that the others have described and while I wouldn't describe her as rude I would be comfortable with brusque. They did seem a bit behind on tables but I think that might be because of the young man that rolled in at about 11:00 indicating that he had overslept. My guess is that he is the busser. They did call their dishwasher out to clean tables but frankly she wasn't particularly efficient at it.

Breakfasts at the Flying M are very basic Americana with the Spanish Omlette being as close to the wild side as they get. The omelette was very nicely done with chili peppers, sour cream and onions as I recall. A bit of green Tabasco (lifted from the adjoining table as our bottle was empty) livened the flavor up a bit. The potatoes were somewhat bland and unseasoned but ketchup (also lifted from the adjoining table as our table had none) came to the rescue. My wife's ham was well done as requested and she agreed that the dish was basic.

We noticed that other patrons were being acknowledged that they needed their bill by the two servers who were busy cleaning tables and had a wait before they could pay and leave. We had the same delay. I think that if they were at full staff they would have been OK.

The decor of the Flying M is pretty much what you'd expect for a roadside diner in small town USA. Probably around hundred empty commemorative liquor containers line the shelves surrounding the dining area. They are mostly porcelean in the shape of people, poodles, soldiers and other dogs. I'd call it kitschy, some would call it cluttered. It's probably both. Same goes for the Flying M.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The quality of service likely has influenced my review. I ate a steak sandwich there. The meat had flavor but even the steak knife had trouble cutting it. My daughter ordered a meal with mashed potatoes and she got fries. She was supposed to get to go to the salad bar. There were no plates there and staff didn't seem to care. We had a very young server who needs to be taught the art of serving. We also talked to some other people at our campground and they had the same poor experience. I would likely avoid this restaurant if I were to visit the area again. Unfortunately first impressions are lasting.

1  Thank Servicecounts4me
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had breakfast here while passing through several months ago. It was OK. Then, we stayed in Panguitch and had dinner here last week. It was terrible. When we walked to the salad bar, we noticed almost full plates of food had been abandoned. We soon learned why when our entree came. I was starving, so I ate most of mine, but by wife ate about 10% of the meal before giving up. I felt sorry for the poor waitress who had to serve such bad food. She was sweet and we left a big tip. It wasn't her fault.

1  Thank David L