“Not a Typical Waldorf Service...”

Waldorf Astoria Park City
Ranked #10 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Not a Typical Waldorf Service...”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights this month for a family ski trip (4 adults total-no kids this time). We had a large room with full living room and full kitchen and 2 full baths. The view was spectacular. The room however was quite run down. Scrapes on most of the furniture and doors and the walls needed a serious paint job. The maid service was not accommodating...my sister often travels with her dogs and we had to make special plans to remove them from the room (as we always do-no big deal), however, we had to call to arrange cleaning TWICE and it was not done! The third time we called, they finally came, were very apologetic, but it was done half-a. They did compensate us with a free massage, so nice customer service there, but I really would have expected much more from a Waldorf. As a side note, we don't usually have people come and clean our room daily, typically every two to three days-so I don't consider us "high maintenance " world travelers. Some positives- the two fireplaces were heavenly. The restaurant served wonderful dishes-best trout I have ever had! Slower service, but nice people. Great drinks. Beautiful spa with the fanciest shower I have ever seen (the one on the end - lights, music, 16 jets-sorry California-I contributed to your drought just a little). I had a massage also, definitely not worth the $230, I am a bit of a massage snob. But my sister raves about Dani. She has had Dani a few times. I will definitely schedule with HER if we visit again. The warming stone chairs are also wonderful. The fireplaces by the hot tubs outside are also a lovely touch. Doormen were awesome and the ski room is an excellent touch for convenience and ease for your gear- love that they have their own gondola for canyons too. Still a four star from me-but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Divinity22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
florida
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We have a wonderful dinner for 8 people . The food was wonderful and well as the service . I ordered the ravioli and was pleasantly surprised by the nice sized portion and wonderful flavor . We ordered the chocolate fondue and everyone loved it !

• Stayed March 2014
houston, tx
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Hotel was beautiful, well kept, very friendly staff. Waldorf went above and beyond my expectations, they made sure our stay was pleasant and enjoyable. Will definitely return to this hotel in the future. It was clean, safe, great staff!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank jauj
Sarasota, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2014

While we love the Waldorf, this trip was our 5th time at this hotel. We seemed to have a constant issue that wasn't resolved even after reported. The showers are terrible. No pressure and the shower head doesn't help. As someone with long hair, it took forever just to rinse the shampoo out of it. You can wash your arm and stick it under the shower and it doesn't rinse the soap, so as you can imagine - taking a shower is a long process. There is no pressure to these shower heads at all. We were given a room on the main lobby floor, 3 rooms from the elevator. Not where you want to be. Loud noise all throughout the night, people walking down hallways, definitely not value for the price paid. The people above us sounded like they were doing aerobics all night, in ski boots. I seriously don't know how or why people walk so much in their room, this late at night but it sounded like we were right below ski valet until about 2 am every night. This definitely was not a restful trip, If you need REST and a GOOD SHOWER, stay elsewhere. The front desk, concierge, room service and food in restaurants were all top notch, but the other issues were main problems and concerns, we got NO rest. Isn't that why we go on vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Tricia B
klh0320, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Park City, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. While you felt our Front Office and Restaurant service was accommodating, we are sorry to hear about the ongoing noise problems and that your trip was not as restful as you would have liked. We hope we can welcome you back again in the future for a better experience.

Very Best,
Kerry Hing
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2014

During a recent work trip to Park City, a group of co-workers selected the Powder Room for a relaxing dinner. I had my eyes set on the NY Strip Steak, and because I didn’t want to spoil my meal, I decided not to order an appetizer. (Had I known what was about to happen, I would have ordered an appetizer and/or a salad so I would not have gone without a meal.)

After placing our order, we enjoyed a few glasses of wine and good conversation. When the main course was brought out, my co-worker’s steak had come out medium (he had requested medium rare), and my steak had come out medium (I had requested medium well.) When the waiter returned, I told him about my steak (my co-worker decided to eat his steak even though it was cooked more than he had requested, but mine was too pink for me to enjoy) and he said they would take care of it. About 5 minutes later, no one had taken my steak away to “finish it off” so I caught the eye of a manager, and he said they were preparing a fresh steak for me.

Well, about 20 minutes passed, and there was still no sign of my second, properly cooked steak. I caught the eye of our waiter, and he asked if he could take my plate away (recall that I still had the first steak still sitting at my place setting and most of my co-workers were done or close to being done with their main course.) I told him that I was waiting for a new steak, and he said they would be happy to prepare another one. (This led me to believe they had forgotten 20 minutes ago and that’s why no steak had yet been brought to me to replace the first one.)

So, I continued to wait patiently, watching all of my colleagues finish their meals while I was still waiting for my steak. Finally, my steak was brought out by the manager, but he did not linger to make sure it was cooked properly. Wouldn’t you know it? It was rarer than the first one! So, I finally caught someone’s attention and let them know this was not acceptable. (I was quite polite about it.)

The manager returned and said that (a) the chef wanted to buy us all dessert and (b) he would pack up the steak so I could take it home with me (and thereby not waste a second steak) where I could finish cooking it (even though I was staying at another hotel with only a microwave.) I thought it was nice that the chef wanted to buy us all dessert. I immediately placed my dessert order, as it had been nearly two hours since we arrived and I was quite hungry. I asked the manager to rush my dessert (I only requested ice cream – figuring it would be quick to “prepare”) since I was so hungry. And wouldn’t you know it? They brought out my dessert once everyone else’s was ready!!! I know common courtesy dictates that you bring out everyone’s dessert at the same time, but given the fact that I still had not eaten, and that I had specifically requested that my dessert be brought out first so I could finally eat, you would have thought the staff would have “finally gotten it right.”

I give the staff credit for trying to make things up to me, but things just got worse and worse. I’m glad my co-workers enjoyed their salmon, salads, pork chop, and vegetarian dish, but I would not recommend ordering a steak at this restaurant. And I really am disappointed with how my meal was handled, especially at the very end when I was kept waiting even more. Our waiter was great and apologetic, but it’s not his fault his manager did not follow through on several accounts.

Unless the management does something really impressive to “wow” me, I would be hard pressed to return here for a meal.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Naperville, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had a fantastic experience at this hotel that has it all. Most notable is the extremely warm and helpful staff willing to go the extra mile to ensure our trip went smoothly. This made a huge difference in terms of helping us relax. Loved the lounge with massive fireplace and wall street journals laid out every morning. Very comfortable, not crowded. You can feel how the hotel team cares about delivering a distinguished level of service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Brian L. S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Staying at this hotel was a dream. Every part of the stay exceeded my expectations. So posh! The location is beautiful and my favorite part was the amazing outdoor area with the pool and fire pits. I honestly don't have one complaint, it was a beautiful hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple