“A great place for the summer too!!”

Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village
Ranked #18 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We had a fantastic stay at the Sundial Lodge even though it was for only 1 night. We were traveling with another couple on a tour and were staying an extra night in the Salt Lake City area and decided that this would be the perfect place to stay and we were not disappointed.

The staff we encountered were all VERY friendly. The type of rooms we had was a 2 bedroom lock-out. Our friends had a living room/kitchen, large bathroom with heated tiled floors and a queen bed. We had the room right next door, with a king bed, microwave, coffee maker, dorm type fridge, couch, chair and desk and a smaller bathroom with heated tile floors. It was perfect for all of us. We kept the doors opened between the 2 rooms until it was time for bed, seeing there was also 1 locked door between the 2 rooms with a small hallway and the washer and dryer in it. We thought the rooms were nicely furnished and very clean.

The resort itself was beautiful and it was easy access to everything at the resort from the restaurants, to the mini golf to the Gondola up the mountain. We took the Gondola up, then there is a ski/chair lift to another part of the mountain….there is a place to eat/relax mid-mountain. We walked one of the trails and found a couple of moose in the woods. It started to thunder and they closed the Gondolas for the ride back so we had to wait in the “lodge” mid-mountain for them to open up the Gondola’s….luckily it was only about a 30 min. wait. There is also a zip-line and other activities at the resort that we did not have time to check out.

We did not eat at The Canyons but we did go about 2 miles from there and ate at the McDonald’s for lunch. There is also a Wal-Mart, and other places to eat in that area, along with a liquor store. We picked up some groceries at the Wal-Mart to make dinner at our resort and we bought wine at the liquor store across the street, seeing they do not sell wine or beer in their Wal-Mart. The resort had grills where you can grill out, but it was not like it was right at your back door, but definitely doable if you wanted to grill. The pool looked nice too.

We also went to Historic Park City on Main Street which was only about 2 or 3 miles from the resort. It was a nice quaint little resort town with plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars and a few Souvenir shops.

We also went to Olympic Park which is also only about 2 miles from the resort. It is free if you just want to look around the area and go in the museum but they had several activities to do for a charge. We really enjoyed walking around and watching some of the activities.

We really enjoyed our stay at Sundial Lodge and are glad we stayed an extra day after our tour. It is only about 30-35 minutes to the airport. I highly recommend this place to stay and would not hesitate to stay there again in the future!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank elsplace

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I've stayed in Park City many times, but I finally stayed for the first time at the Sundial. Being in the shadow of the mountains makes for an incredible atmosphere, and with the huge outdoor hot tub inviting you to linger and take it in, I loved being part of the real *nature* side of Park City. The staff were courteous and respectful, the room was done in a classic Western rustic-chic feel. No complaints, and I'd happily return here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I was traveling with my 3 young children, my mother & 96 year old grandmother.

- I booked a 2 bedroom unit so that we would have enough beds for our family. Upon arrival I was informed that the type of room that had been booked by reservations was not offered at the Sundial location.

- In the room, we discovered that there was only 1 sleeper sofa when I had been told at check-in that there would be 2 sleeper sofas for my children. I called the front desk and the clerk was unable/unwilling to change my room... asking "Do you really need two sleeper sofas, anyway?"

- That night I discovered the sleeper sofa had no bed sheets and it took more than 30mins for housekeeping to come up. The staff who delivered the sheets did not even offer to help make-up the bed.

- The next day it took more than 1hr., 2 phones calls to the front desk and 3 visits from housekeeping to obtain a replacement the broken coffee pot.

- The following evening, we discovered the iron was broken (leaking water on our clothes as we tried to iron them). Again it took far too long (more than 30mins) for my request for a replacement iron to be sent to our room.

- When I inquired at the front desk about a recommendation for someplace for my family (1adult + 3 children) to eat, the staff suggested The Farm (a 4-5 star restaurant). We were dressed in pool clothes and I was looking for someplace casual that my 5 year old would enjoy. Never once did the front desk clerk mention any other restaurants at the property, with the exception of one other restaurant also owned by the same hotel management company. Imagine my surprise when I walked outside and discovered the Westgate Grill and food service at the Umbrella Bar. We ended up having food at the Umbrella Bar while enjoying the outdoor concert & sitting at the fire pit.

- When I inquired at the front desk for directions to the small grocery located on the property, I was told that I must be confusing the grocery with the gas station located at the entrance of The Canyons. I explained to the front desk clerk that I had clearly seen a green awning with “Grocery” labeled on the front when we first arrived at The Canyons. The staff told me there was not a Grocery, but that there was a general store (which happened to be located inside of the other hotel, also owned by the same hotel management company). I walked over to the general store only to find a very limited selection of grocery items. The next morning I had to press a different front desk clerk several times before he would admit that there was a grocery located on the property and he finally gave me directions. When I finally found the grocery, it was just perfect…. It had a nice selection of items. It turns out, after talking to the grocery clerk, that this kind of thing happens all the time, as the grocery is owned by a different management company…. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed to find that the staff at the Sundial kept referring me only to places at the resort that were owned by their own company, instead of truly attempting to help me find the best restaurant or grocery or store that provided the services that would make my stay at the hotel enjoyable for our family.

The end result, I will never recommend the Sundial or it’s related properties to anyone. The quality of service provided during our stay would be equivalent to the service provided by a 2-star hotel not that of a resort found in Park City.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank KirstenLadera
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Right outside the resort are shops, restaurants, equipment rentals and gondolas. Easy access to everything your heart desires. The room we had was fantastic! Clean, spacious with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was big and spotless as well.

You can snowboard/ski all the way down to the plateau where the resort is at. You can then grab a bite or a beer before jumping into the hottub to unwind. It's pretty awesome.

Can't wait to return this year for more fun in the snow and the great ambience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed again at the Sundial lodge, for the first time during the summer. During our flight, I wondered whether the beautiful snow-covered mountains in winter would yield recreation during the summer months for our family. Well, the Canyons have outdone themselves: they have magnificant mountain bike trails (even specially constructed challenges), terrific hiking trails for all levels of hikers, a white-knuckle zip-line that rushes you through a deep canyon, and operating gondola and chair lifts for access. The zip-line is top-notch and run by well-trained crew. Restaurants operate on mountain tops and at base level so you are never out of reach of nourishment. They also organize a full camp program for children. The swimming pool at the Sundial Lodge was immaculate and a welcome respite at the end of each day (and night-time) for relaxing and swimming. Two lovely BBQ grills in the swimming area await your steaks/fish bought at Whole Foods about 5 miles from the Lodge, and lovely shaded tables and chairs are ready for the freshly grilled food. Some essentials: insect repellant (the insects are annoying and aggressive for people emitting the right pheromones), gallons of water, sun block and good hiking shoes. A few miles from Sundial and the Canyons, we also scrutinized the Winter Olympic site and Park City. If you enjoy watching extreme skiers practice on steep slides and break their falls in a bubbling swimming pool, fully dressed, this is a sight to behold, as is the museum. But don't waste time on other, inferior facilities for recreation (e.g. zip-line). Park City resort has terrific activities to thrill children and rapidly deplete your wallet. The coaster (essentially a roller-coaster on land that winds through a forest) was a unique experience, as were downhill rides (a vast mountain slide, zip lines, etc). All in all, the mountains of Utah are not well known for summer activities as are the slopes in winter. This was a lovely experience for our families, which ranged in age from 6 - 71 years. The magnificant and unique national parks in Utah (Bryce, Zion, Canyons, Arches) are 4-5 hour drives, but these desert regions are torrid in July. The mountains are 10-20 degrees cooler, and at these temperatures, robust physical activity is possible.

Room Tip: always ask for a mountain view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank lilacroller
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at Sundial Lodge for 4 nights in early March of this year. The rooms were spacious and clean. The parking was ample and the access to the slopes could not have been better.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Shaun C
Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you want to stay slopeside without paying hefty slopeside rates then Sundial is for you. If you are seeking a luxury or "hotel like" experience then you will do better elsewhere, such as at the nearby Grand Summit Hotel. Sundial charges less than you would expect, and the staff make an effort to provide the most possible within that budget. Hot drinks in the lobby apres-ski, valet parking and a fair ratio of staff make up for what is otherwise a spartan lodge.

Our room and the decor were simple, nice touches included the small in-room kitchen and porch. The lobby and public areas are small and the elevator wait time can be long at peak times.

Overall Sundial is a decent alternative for the budget minded who want to stay slopeside - the location is ideal, just a few feet away from Canyons ticket office and the gondola and in the center of Canyons base village.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family