Our trip began with an inquiry through VRBO, through which we were connected to Park City Vacations Properties. The unit we selected is managed by Resort Quest. We paid for the condo in full, in advance. Through Park City Vacation Properties, Resort Quest was notified that our flight was arriving very late. In order to avoid owner issues with a late arrival, we had selected the Sundial so we would have access to our key through the front desk. When were dropped off at the Sundial, expecting to pick up our key from the front desk or a nearby lockbox, we were told that the Resort Quest lock box was ten minutes away. We called Resort Quest and told them that we did not have a car and asked for the code. They refused for about 45 minutes, telling us that we should take a cab ($40 round trip) to go to the lock box and get the code. After several calls, we were finally given the code. We had been given the address of Resort Quest, but not being familiar with the area, we went directly to our unit expecting that Resort Quest would be nearby. We did not need to physically pick up a key, because room access is through a code that was very easy to give over the phone.
What was so frustrating is our request could have been, and actually was, solved easily, but instead, we were forced to argue with them over providing a room code for our pre-paid room. We would have happily showed ID. Resort Quest handled this situation very poorly. First, they should have services ON LOCATION to allow late check in guests to gain access to their unit and second, when a problem could be solved so easily, they should have thought of the customer service (or lack thereof) they were providing.
Once we arrived in the unit, we felt a little better. Although Resort Quest was supposed to have provided a cot or blow-up bed, what we found was a deflated blow-up bed (apparently a hole). In addition, the tub and rug had stains, the fireplace didn't work and the microwave had a piece that fell off. Once we settled down, we did feel perfectly comfortable in the unit. It was clean and comfortable. Had we not been so frustrated with Resort Quest, we may not have noticed the negatives in the unit.
The Canyons itself is a nice set up although the laws generally are very restrictive and overall, we didn't get the gracious hospitality we usually receive at resorts all over the world. The tram service from the Sundial is very limited only running from 4:00-10:00 on the hour, you have to make reservations, and they only drop off in one location. We made 6:30 reservations for dinner, booked the 6:00 tram and the tram was ten minutes late. We ended up taking a cab home from Park City ($20) because we didn't want to wait 45 minutes for the tram. We had dinner at 350 Main and loved it - the service was wonderful.
The shining stars for our Park City visit were the valets at the Sundial who could not have been kinder or more gracious and the cab company we used several times,
Powder Pipeline Transportation who had lower rates and were very prompt and friendly.
There is a lift called the Cabriolet (a standing lift for skiers heading to the parking lot and for non-skiers) which takes you down to the free (!!!) bus service around the Park City area. We took that bus into Park City to shop at Fresh Market, which worked out great. At the bottom of the lift there is a 7-11, which is really the ONLY store in the Canyons area other than a very small necessities only store in one of the hotels. The Cabriolet lift closes at 7:00 though, so free public transportation is not available after that point if you are staying at the Canyons.
There is no room service at the Sundial and at one restaurant refused to provide takeout of a cheese platter because they were "busy" even though it was 3:30 in the afternoon and were empty except for staff. It's just this constant feeling of lack of service at every turn. There are many restrictive alcohol laws in Utah as well.
As a last impression, we asked for a late check out from the Sundial because our flight did not leave until early evening. We had mentioned this to Park City Vacation Rentals when we booked the unit. We called Park City Vacation Properties 24 hours in advance and then emailed. The morning of our departure, we had not heard from Park City Vacation Properties, so I called the local office of Resort Quest. Resort Quest only said “who told you that you could have a late check out” and said that we had to be out by 10:00am and not a moment later. So we complied and left the unit by 10:00am and I waited in the lobby for three hours. At 11:30am we received a call and email from Park City Vacation Properties indicating that they had secured a late check out for us as we requested and we were permitted to stay in the unit until 1:00pm. By this point, we had already been out of the unit an hour and a half.
I'm not sure who is at fault but time and time again, Resort Quest was rude and unaccommodating. Park City Vacation Rentals was not able to make anything better. I would not stay at the Sundial again because of this situation. No one wants stress on vacation. In addition, the lack of shuttle, the lack of a responsive front desk (due to Resort Quest relationship) and the lack of room service made our experience at the Sundial stressful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the base of Canyons Resort and just steps away from the Red Pine Gondola, the Sundial is a perfect blend of classic mountain lodge architecture and metropolitan style and sophistication. Choose from our many hotel rooms, studios, 1- and 2-bedroom suites, and even 2-bedroom suites with additional sleeping loft and extra bath. All rooms feature relaxing oversized jetted tubs, and all suites come with full kitchens, warm fireplaces, sofa sleepers, and private balconies to take in the mountain air and sweeping views. This property also offers unparalleled convenience, being positioned directly above and around the stores, restaurants and ski shop of the picturesque Canyons' Resort Village. Guests also enjoy the heated outdoor pool, rooftop hot tub and plunge pool, complimentary underground parking, and much, much more. Additionally, our complimentary winter shuttle service transports guests within the Canyons Village area and to Historic Main Street, where the most popular boutiques, galleries, restaurants, and nightlife can be found. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundial Lodge At The Canyons Hotel Park City
- Sundial Hotel Park City
- Sundial Hotel At The Canyons
- Sundial Lodge At Canyons Village Park City, Utah