We arrived on the Friday of President's Day weekend. We booked the Canyons Sundial due to the close proximity to the lifts and our first choice of the Waldorf Astoria was sold out. Here are the negatives (not in any particular order):
1. Amenities in the guestrooms need serious updating. There is a tube TV and VCR (not DVD). The TV did not have any type of interactive features. The reception was so poor that we were watching "snow" on the TV on local stations.
2. Safety: The door did not close on its own when walking out due to the carpet and pad not allowing the door to close freely. The carpet was tired also.
3. Water damage in the guestroom in between the bed and the desk.
4. Design flaw in the bathroom to guestroom- a window in the bathroom into the bedroom did not allow any privacy and also if your significant other uses the restroom in the middle of the night, the light in the guestroom lights up the entire room, waking up the other person.
5. Decor flaw: The window that overlooked the Umbrella bar and the slopes is shaped in a slanted fashion, yet the windown covering (faux wood blinds) covered only the portion that was straight... so any mid day naps was out of the question since you could never get darkness.
6. Check out: We left early on the Monday and called down to advise that we were checking out and to see if we have any balances on the folio. Was quickly advised that there was not a way to tell me if this was the case due to the evening audit... I understand that the audits take place, yet at 5:00 AM? That seems a little late. And I was not offered a folio via email or anything of the sort. I just had to "trust" that everything was okay. Out of all the things, this is what I was most upset about.
7. The bathroom door had major water damage on the bathroom side. The wood is peeling away.
8. No conditioner
9. The bathroom shower curtain did not cover from wall to wall.
10. The lighting in the bathroom was very poor- two can lights pointing at the mirror, and one in ceiling lamp, all on one switch.
11. Difficult to make reservations via phone- the button on the phone for the concierge kept on ringing and rining. We eventually hung up and called the desk, then got transfered to the same concierge number again and the cycle of rining ringing ringing with no answer started again.
The positive: the close proximity to the lifts, Alipine House for dinner and breakfast, the Westgate deli for a breakfast wrap or sandwich, check in execution was flawless, thanks to the agent from Bakersfield, CA., The Ski/Board Valet was very helpful and convenient. The shuttle service on a complimentray basis was nice (took it to the Waldorf Astoria to dine at Spruce). Free Wi-Fi. The snow conditions were amazing! That would be the highlight!
At the end of the day, I would not suggest this hotel to anyone. There needs to be serious updating to the facilities. Being in the hotel industry, I believe that I am very forgiving. I do understand that it was the busiest weekend out of the year and that would indicate the over priced accommodations... yet for that price, I would expect more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
Located at the base of Canyons Resort and just steps away from the Red Pine Gondola, the Sundial is a perfect blend of classic mountain lodge architecture and metropolitan style and sophistication. Choose from our many hotel rooms, studios, 1- and 2-bedroom suites, and even 2-bedroom suites with additional sleeping loft and extra bath. All rooms feature relaxing oversized jetted tubs, and all suites come with full kitchens, warm fireplaces, sofa sleepers, and private balconies to take in the mountain air and sweeping views.
This property also offers unparalleled convenience, being positioned directly above and around the stores, restaurants and ski shop of the picturesque Canyons' Resort Village. Guests also enjoy the heated outdoor pool, rooftop hot tub and plunge pool, complimentary underground parking, and much, much more. Additionally, our complimentary winter shuttle service transports guests within the Canyons Village area and to Historic Main Street, where the most popular boutiques, galleries, restaurants, and nightlife can be found.... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ctrip TA, TravelClick, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sundial Lodge at Canyons Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundial Lodge At The Canyons Hotel Park City
- Sundial Hotel Park City
- Sundial Hotel At The Canyons
- Sundial Lodge At Canyons Village Park City, Utah