“Outstanding resort”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St Michaels
“Outstanding resort”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We just came back from our first stay at the Montage Deer Valley, and with the exception of a few kinks that need to be worked out, it was an exceptional experience. Prior to check in the limo driver called the hotel, so we were greeted in the lobby by name and escorted to our room, no standing in line at a desk. The room was beautiful, well appointed with a fireplace, extra robes and slippers, and multiple bottles of water for our use. The property itself is first class, with a gorgeous spa, spacious gym with helpful and knowledgeable staff, and beautiful and cozy sitting areas. There was live music every afternoon and free smores with homemade marshmellows out on the deck.

The ski valets were the nicest part of the trip. We were fitted professionally for our gear, and in the morning a valet put our boots on, and in the afternoon took them off. Who knew we would learn to love being so spoiled? While tipping was expected, it was never pushed, and you felt more than grateful for the first class service.

Breakfast was excellent, although $29 for a buffet breakfast is excessive in anyone's book.

The only disorganized part of the hotel was getting a van into town at dinner time. The vans are free and very clean, driven by exceptionally pleasant drivers, but there did not seem to be any organized process in place for getting on the van, and people got quite upset waiting to be taken to town. Some sort of formal sign up will solve a lot of those problems.

When we left we were handed bottles of water and free Montage hats, a nice touch from a staff that genuinely seemed interested in our pleasure. Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the bottom floor if there has been heavy snow, as you will have snow over your window
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Dallas
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This is our second time to stay here. The first was when it opened and it wasn't ready. Service was slow in all depts. Now it's been training staff properly and it shows. Apex restaurant is great, the Great Room has lots of seating options (unlike the Ritz Bachelor Gulch version), and the ski valets have finally been trained and properly staffed. Now all that's left is the details. We needed doorstops for our room. 3 calls and 2 hours later we got them. Daily paper included- never arrives. Made dinner res thru concierge- never heard back. Details, yes, but they matter.
They have the facility to be a 5 star, but they still haven't perfected the training. That's why they're stuck at 4 stars. Maybe next year!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank MikeMerriman
Mankato, MN
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We had a party of seven people and our lunch was terrific. Try the Pretzel Fondue a great way to start off your lunch. Next I had a the Hearts of Romaine salad which was fresh , cold and crisp and I also enjoyed my sandwhich.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 December 2011

OVERALL - I had a great experience for my first visit to Montage Deer Valley. My review is based upon staying overnight as a guest with family.

SERVICE - The service was great from the moment we pulled up in our vehicle until the time we checked out. The staff was friendly and helpful.

OUR ROOM - Incredible room. I thought the rooms and bathrooms were very nice. Our room was on on the 600 level, poolside. I thought our room was well-located in relation to the outdoor pool and the hot tubs. In addition, we were a very short walk to what I call the "Smore Station" - an area setup to make smores each day at 5pm.

The PAINTBOX - it is a child recreation place where kids go to participate in a variety of activities while their parents attend adult functions. I had the opportunity to stay and play with my nephews for a few hours. Fun place with friendly staff who did a great job keeping the kiddos busy with dinner and a variety of activities including: arts and crafts, computer activities, and a movie. My nephews got to take home what they made and/or decorated. I would recommend this place to anyone bringing their kids with them to Montage.

VALUE - I'm a believer in the adage - you get what you pay for and sometimes more. Getting more was true in this case since I was a guest. I'm sure staying and paying would not change my view of Montage Deer Valley as long as my experience was similar to this one.

I would stay here again. Great place, great staff and beautiful scenery.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I stayed here for opening weekend for the ski season at Deer Valley. It was an amazing resort! The service was prompt and friendly. Two things went amiss during my stay and both were handled quickly and professionally. The gym, pool and spa were amazing. I took one of the included yoga classes and ended up the only person in the class so I had the fortunate experience of a private yoga class with an extremely knowledgeable and intuitive teacher.

The room was spacious and beautiful! The remote for the tv controls everything in the room-the fireplace, the lights and of course the tv.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Is there any other hotel in Park City. From the minute you drive up, this property will take your breath away. It is at the top of the mountain just past Stein Erickson (last update has to have been in the 70's), there is a new Sheriff in town!!

There is a reason why you will spend a nice amount and walk away smiling. The place is simply beautiful! My favorite aspects of the hotel is the spa, my massage was wonderful and the women's lounge was extremely nice. (Some resort spas try to skimp on space and the little details, as this Spa spared none) You can actually do laps in the indoor pool, it is not standard hotel "kiddie" size. The rooms are very nice as well, heated bathrooms and great decor.

I dined at Apex for lunch, which was nice but it is very conservative similar to a club lounge. I preferred to drive 10 minutes or so into the heart of Park City to dine and shop, more modern and trendy options.

Overall the service I received was impeccable. Unlike a previous reveiw I did recieve a "tour" of the room and amenities. Everyone is extremely attentive!!!

Room Tip: I went in the off season but I hear you should watch out for the lower level rooms during ski season...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Excellent rooms, massive bath and luxurious amenities. Service on par with the best we've experienced anywhere in the world. Fantastic spa experience - only minor negative was the 20% gratuity that is forced on you. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family