“Heaven on Earth”

Montage Deer Valley
Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We stayed at The Montage for our 20th anniversary. Since it is the off season for this ski resort hotel, the rates are very reasonable. The amenities are extraordinary. The spa is the most relaxing place I have ever been. We came for a couples get away, but want to bring the kids back since there is so much to do- complimentary to guests. Some of the fun includes: a bowling alley, pool tables, arcade (coins required here) and ping pong. There is a fun and cometely complimentary s'mores making activity every night with the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted. Free archery classes, frisbee golf, beautiful hikes. The staff is soooooo attentive and every detail is considered to keep things clean satisfying my OCD needs- fresh duvet covers on beds special towels that fit over the pool chairs which are changed between guests. This place is my new favorite place in the world to stay!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Washesherhands

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Montage is the BEST luxury family resort on the planet. It is the only place I have traveled with my family (3 young children) and felt like we have ALL been on vacation. Pampered without being pretentious, attention to details (eg. get well notes with care packages for altitude sickness; Red Sox game schedule waiting for us upon our arrival), greetings from Monty the adorable mascot are sure to make everyone feel welcome. But when it comes to getting ready to hit the slopes, Andy, the director of Compass, the on-property outdoor shop, is top of the hill! Matching skier ability with the right skis and terrain, Andy is brilliantly accurate. The entire staffs' focus on being ready to ease your transition from ready-to-ski to on the slopes and apres-ski is like being Dorothy in Oz. It's as if you just click your heels, and you are on your way. And being the Montage, I bet they would even dye your eyes to match your gown (or parka as the case may be)...! Which brings me to the spa. An experience I will never forget...ethereal and life altering. From pre-ski stretching to core-strengthening to a massage of a lifetime...I literally wept with joy.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We've been fortunate enough to stay several times at the Montage properties, this past weekend was our first visit to beautiful Deer Valley.

At first glance this hotel is simply stunning, set against a mountain surrounded by beautiful aspen trees.

We were warmly greated and promptly checked in by the hotel staff. We agreed to take a quick tour of the property which was very informative: We visited the spa, workout gym (state of the art), sports center, and pub.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the pub! It was truly a game players heaven...there's bowling, darts, foosball, pool and several retro arcade games that brought back some fond childhood memories.

The food was fantastic throughout the property, the sushi bar served up some of the finest rolls we've ever tasted. The main dining offered the quality and service you'd expect from a 5 star restaurant. We really enjoyed the bar and live music on the main floor as well, it was a perfect way to end the evening.

The outdoor activities are endless, we rented bikes the first day then moved on to archery the following day. The trail riding is amazing, you're literally only 50 yards from the lift!

Let me qualify this statement by saying this, I've stayed at some of the nicest hotels around the world and Montage Deer Valley is a little slice of heaven.

I'm looking forward to visiting again in the winter. Thanks Montage for a wonderful 3-day weekend!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Don S
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This hotel is absolutely over the top! Every detail is thought of and attended to. I cannot think of a more relaxing and beautiful place for a vacation. We have stayed for 5 nights and even if you just stay at the resort and don't venture in town, it is impossible to get bored. You can enjoy their beautiful outdoor Olympic sized pool where they cater to your every whim, have smores and hot chocolate out by their fire pit, get spa treatments, workout, play shuffleboard or vintage video games down in their pub, take an archery lesson, hike, bike or even enjoy the great music they bring in nightly and take in the original art around the hotel. It is the most luxurious place imaginable to relax and unwind. And the little added details like a new chocolate every night in your room at the turn down service and the most comfortable beds and showers I have ever experienced will make me a fan for life. Top notch!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Stayed one night. Wished I could have stayed longer. Very comfortable rooms - best bed. Spa and work out facilities are one of the best I have utilized. Valet services are outstanding including Trixie who was very helpful and sincere with friendliness. Only negative - no full length mirrors in the rooms ( was told by Front Desk that Suites have them). Front desk needs a little more training on gonig the extra mile for service - i.e. offering to have my car brought up during the check out procedure.
Love this hotel and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2012

The hotel is run by a bunch of incompetents. This is long review. But there were just so many screw-ups. I wanted people to realize this was not an isolated event. Lets start from when we came into the hotel and told the front desk, the bell hop and the person who greeted us, that we needed a cot in our room for our 8 year old daughter. Three hours later when the evening "turn down" staff came to our room we asked for a cot again! Meanwhile, we were going down to a concert on the lawn of Deer Valley. I called the concierge and asked for a blanket to use. 20 minutes later, we were called back and told there were NO BLANKETS available. I then went to the front desk and asked for a blanket and got the same answer. This seemed a little strange but I figured maybe they didn't HAVE ANY EXTRA BLANKETS in this 220 bed hotel. As we were leaving to the concert we mentioned this to Curtis at the Valet stand who in a matter of 1 minute got us a blanket. After the concert, he offered to exchange the blanket and get us a fresh one for another concert on the lawn later on that week. When we returned to our room, at 10:30 and guess what STILL no cot. I called again and was a little more forceful this time. 45 minutes later we got the cot and a bunch of excuses from the manager on duty. We were told the general manager would be notified of this event.

Hoping this was just some beginners errors and not the result of low oxygen traveling to the brains of the staff at 8300 ft above sea level, I went down to breakfast the next morning with a fresh attitude. Not to be undone by the concierge and the front desk, our breakfast was served without butter for bread, no salt and pepper for the eggs and it took 3 requests to get some ketchup for my eggs. Oh how can I forget, they double billed us as well!!

Now, we were traveling into town to the Park City street festival. We stopped into a local store and somehow got into a conversation about the above events. The women in the store said it was inexcusable for a "5 Star" resort to operate in that manner and called a family member who worked at the Montage and said that "the General Manger would be contacted" On the way back tot he hotel, we told the driver of the hotel van that we were going to another Deer Valley Lawn concert and asked where we could get a quick bite before hand. He said that we should call the concierge and that the food services would be able to put together a picnic basket for us. We called and we were told that food services needed 24 HOURS NOTICE to put together a picnic basket. The driver seemed embarrassed when we told him what happened. When we got back to the hotel, there was Curtis to save the day again. He said call Room service, put in an order for salad, wine and maybe some shrimp cocktail and he would get us a picnic basket with ice and utensils AND A NEW BLANKET!!!

You might think things would have improved from here. WRONG AGAIN. The next day we decided to go for a long road bike ride. I went to the Activities desk and asked if there was a place in town to rent a tandem bicycle for 2 people. After 4 phone calls, I was told NO STORES had tandem bicycles. By now, I was getting a little pessimistic. I decided to try for myself. I made 2 phone calls and sure enough found a place which had a tandem cycle. I guess you need to be from Florida to get things done at the Park City Montage.

The next few days were uneventful since we avoided the Montage concierge, staff and booked our own activities. But if you thought they still couldn't screw things up further, you were wrong. On the second to last day of our stay, my poached eggs were a little gritty, I didn't realize at The Montage, Poached Eggs come WITH SHELLS!!!! I mentioned this to the waiter who got the food and beverage Manager who apologized and said he would contact the General Manager who WOULD CALL US!!! Does anyone see a pattern here??? Well, we did get one phone call that day. It was from our daughter who needed a bathing suit for camp!! I am still waiting for the GM to call.

Well, checkout was also an adventure. Having been shocked about the incompetence of The Montage, I was sure that there were going to be Billing mistakes as well. I wasn't disappointed. We were on the American Express Platinum package which included breakfast and a spa voucher. 1/2 the breakfasts were credited and 1/2 were not. One of the breakfasts was actually charged as a dinner for the day which was pretty amazing since we didn't eat one dinner in the hotel and usually were out for the day by noon! The spa credit was not issued either.
Bottom line, this place is mismanaged, the general manager deserves to be fired and the only person who deserves any praise is Curtis who should be put in charge.

LET THE TRAVELLER BEWARE~!!~

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank DAVEBUCK
MontageDeerValley, General Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

DAVEBUCK,

Please accept our apologies for creating an experience which necessitated you writing such a review. Despite our attempts to contact you while at the resort, we were unfortunately not successful.

I would like the chance to speak with you regarding your stay, so please contact me at (435) 604-1320 when your schedule affords the opportunity.

Marcus Jackson

Reviewed 9 August 2012

The hotel is in a great location, only about 5 minutes past Park Cities. I wished they had full length mirrors in the room, but was told they were only in suites. Pool service was ok, but not attentive as I expected. Room and bathroom very large, very comfortable. Bathroom floor, could have been a little cleaner. Check out attendant not real friendly, but valet upon checkout made up for it, offering water upon departure. Overall, very nice, I recommend it highly

• Stayed: August 2012