“Yama Sushi”

Ranked #3 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Visited the Montage for dinner at Yama Sushi with friends. We were visiting Deer Valley during the second weekend of Sundance and were in the mood for sushi but didn't feel like going to town. Yama is adjacent to the main lounge area. We stopped in on a Thursday and there was a wonderful singer playing in the main lounge. We decided to ask for Omakase, which means letting the chef decide what he wants to make; we did not order off the menu. It did not disappoint! We tried a variety of dishes including sashimi, sushi, and some special dishes that don't fit within a specific category. Wonderful use of shiso and yuzu flavors. Hats off to friendly chef Yu Yamamoto! Server Connor did a great job delivering and describing each dish, ensuring that we were able to eat/try everything (no allergies or aversions) with some help from Cale who was also very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Stumbalina23:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Yama Sushi with Trip Advisor members. We are grateful that you chose to dine with us during Sundance and I will be sure to share your outstanding comments with Chef Yu as well as with Conner and Cale. Your words mean so much to us, as we aspire to provide a superior culinary experience for our guests and Yama Sushi is a restaurant we are proud to present to guests during the winter season. We look forward to welcoming you back to Montage Deer Valley on your next visit to Park City!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

It is hard to describe what being treated like a millionaire must be like, but I'll try. First at the Porte Cochere, you never get a chance to touch your bags, they are whisked away to your room immediately. As the doorman asks your name it is privately whispered into a microphone so as you take the next ten steps into the lobby you are greeted by name and a greeter with an IPad walks you to your room. What no check in? That's right no check in desk! The greeter will walk you thru your suite, take your credit card for any charges, make any dinner reservations, spa appointments, ski rentals, whatever your heart desires. The food is incredible, the surroundings, both inside and out without comparison, and the service.... Well the service is nothing like you will ever have had in your life. The Montage makes spoiling you a science. Try it, you may never ski anywhere else again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rayh3

Dear Rayh3:

We are extremely gratified to read your enthusiastic comments about your recent stay with us and appreciate your taking the time to share your observations with Trip Advisor members. Our team is dedicated to guest service and reading your comments reassures us that we are on the right track. We look forward to welcoming you back to Park City and thank you again for staying with us at Montage Deer Valley!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Top Of the line Service anywhere you turn!
The hotel itself is beautiful, warm, cozy and you certainly feel the holiday spirit.~ The doorman remembered our names, asked questions about our day and made us feel very special.

We dined in (3) of the restaurants, bourbon and burgers was great as was the more casual option downstairs. We also ate in the Japanese restaurant which was also quit good, we had one dish that was not prepared properly but the staff quickly rectified the situation.

We had 2 spa services and I must say the spa is really outstanding. We were greeted and assisted each time by a women who we discovered later was the spa director, Shana Ominsky. We were surprised that the director was so hands on and helpful.

Yes, the hotel is superb, scenery unbeatable but it was the staff like the doorman greeting us by name and the spa director personally taking care of us that makes this place so special. High end and professional service but not stuffy or pretentious.

Just perfect!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear JRMC40:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Montage Deer Valley with Trip Advisor members. We are extremely gratified by your words and I will be sharing them with our team members at Burgers & Bourbon, Daly's Pub, Yama Sushi and at Spa Montage. I was also very happy to read your kind words about our terrific Guest Relations team members at the front door and I will let them know that they made a difference for you during your recent stay. We all look forward to welcoming you back to Park City!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Montage is a beautiful newish property. The facilities are gorgeous. We had a little bit of a tough start b/c we arrived at 11 00 and our room was not ready til 5 00. That meant we had to change to ski in the restroom near the ski shop, there isn't really a locker room near the ski shop so keep that in mind when packing. We had woken up to get to the airport at 4 45am so that was difficult, particularly in light of the fact that they said it was put on " priority" with housekeeping, giving us the impression that it would be ready at least by normal check in time. Once we got it they gave us a beautiful upgrade. And they did extend our check-out time by two hours at the end. Apex breakfasts were fine, we ate in town so did not try other meals there. The lobby Vista lounge was nice, with live piano vocalists every night. Staff tried to be accommodating though there were some glitches. The spa is huge and gorgeous, but they had a front desk person when I went and I had to wait a while for an attendant to get a locker. Also, once in i had to come out to ask where dryer etc was b/c they are not out and I could not find someone. I had a massage. Passable. Therapist talked a lot and when he was told the massage actually hurt, he kept saying it was good for me. Not what I look for in a therapist. The property has a really great little boutique. Transportation services were very good though we used a rental car in the day and then their car at night for restaurants in town. Concierges were excellent, very helpful. Staff are very nice at this hotel. Rooms are beautifully appointed and the bed was definitely unusually comfortable. We had a big issue when we left. WE had given our ski bag to the shop. When they readied hte skis they brought the bag to the back of the shop. Somehow in the rush to get out, someone cut the bag straps so they were no longer functional when we were ready to leave. They kept the bag to fix and are going to Fed Ex it when it's ready. At least they took responsibility but this was a stressful last minute hassle that should not have happened. Suggestion- stay with them when they take out your stuff. All in all, while there were some issues, this is one of the more luxurious ski properties we have stayed in and we would give it another shot.

Room Tip: Use Amex Platinum to try to get an upgrade
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tripindicular1

Dear tripindicular1:

Thank you for sharing your review with Trip Advisor members – we appreciate both your kind words and constructive feedback. We aspire to provide a superior ski holiday for our guests and frank comments give us the opportunity to address any shortcomings with our team. As you noted, we always want to take full responsibility for anything that wasn’t to a guest’s satisfaction and are extremely gratified that you would elect to stay with us again. We will be sharing your feedback with our team members at Spa Montage, Vista Lounge, Transportation, Concierge and Compass Sports. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can assist you with your next visit. Thank you again for staying with us in Park City!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

this was our fourth vacation at the Montage during ski season and all we can say is that it gets better every year. Upon arrival I had such a horrific migraine that Robert, the security guard who is trained in first aid, recommended they take me to the clinic in town for treatment. I couldn't even sit upright because of the pain, so he put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me all the way to the front entrance where a private car from the Montage was waiting for us. The clinic had been informed by the hotel and after successful treatment the car came to pick us up and Robert, this most wonderful person in the world, was waiting for us with the wheelchair at the entrance. The next day he called to make sure I felt better - honestly, if we didn't already love the Montage this experience would have convinced us that we're staying at the best resort in the world.

Despite several reality TV celebrities and their families staying at the resort during the week we were there, we saw no disturbances, paparazzi etc. Simply amazing and peaceful.

Since many of the staff at these resorts are seasonal workers, service could be spotty at times. However, everybody tried really hard to improve service, from a la carte breakfast being served much faster than in prior years to the caring and professional young employees working at the ski concierge. The young man from Argentina whose name I forget was there every morning to help our kids and his knowledge and patience were very much appreciated, nice job! Vast improvements and efforts were made on behalf of all staff and it showed, we were really impressed.

The new burgers and bourbon restaurant has the most amazing burgers, and when the kitchen forgot to bring out the fries on time, they took them off the bill right away without asking. Again, the service and attentiveness were just so impeccable compared to the hick ups we experienced in the winters prior.

We didn't do the breakfast buffet in the morning but rather had all food a la carte and we absolutely loved the quality - consistently great food.

Since we have one adult child and a teenager the Dalys pub is always a good option, food is alright, not as great as all the other food options at the resort though. The only issue every year during the "busy" ski season (if you have school-age kids that is your only option) is the seating. Half the pub is empty and yet the wait for a table (no reservations possible) is up to 45 mins or longer, only when we asked why that is, were we given the explanation that the tiny kitchen can only handle so many food orders......yes, that made sense to us and we can all understand the reason for the imbalance between the empty tables and the long wait now. There should be a way to inform waiting customers of this issue before they get impatient?

The concierges were super helpful in making dinner reservations in town and in pre-arranging everything from car service to business questions my husband had.

Overall, we love the resort, the staff, the secluded location etc. What's not to love at the Montage in Deer Valley?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Alexanniemommy:

Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of Montage Deer Valley with Trip Advisor members. Your words mean the world to us and we will be sharing your comments with Robert in security, with our team in Compass Sports, Daly’s Pub, Burgers & Bourbon and our concierge team. We are so gratified that you return to Montage Deer Valley over and over again and that you are enjoying our continuing efforts to make each visit the best ski holiday possible. We are in this business with the hope that we can make a difference for families like yours – and reading your review motivates us and reminds us that we are on the right track. Thank you again for your wonderful review.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

As an event industry professional, there are so many things to consider when recommending a hotel to your clients. This property had it all!! From the family friendly hotel in its entirety, to the multiple rustic elegant event spaces, the MDV is on the top of our list! I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone no matter what your looking for. From the moment we stepped foot inside the hotel, we were greeted by a warm and friendly staff. Next we had the pleasure of dining at one of the best restaurants I have ever experienced - APEX. The manager of Apex, Martin, was so accommodating and took such good care of us. Later the next day, I enjoyed a 90 minute massage with Brenna and I have to state that it was the best massage I have ever had. The last night, we had a lot of fun in downtown park city and thanks to our friendly guest services driver, Jordan, he kept us safe and warm down the mountain and back up (oh a shared a few laughs too!). Monte, the hotel's family dog, was such a trooper as we took a dozen pictures every time he made his presence in the lobby (during scheduled times throughout the day). We loved the fact that the resort had a resort photographer. Having a resort photographer take photographs of our experience, our journey, and our time spent at MDV (they even deliver the printed pictures to your room!) was such a reward for us. Robert, the Director of Sales for MDV, is incredibly accommodating and made sure we were well taken care of all weekend long. He is a pleasure to work with from start to finish and I look forward to referring clients to MDV. Our experience was truly unforgettable and I am counting down the days until I go back to MDV.

Room Tip: Must get a mountain view room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ShannonCW

Dear ShannonCW:

Thank you for your glowing words about Montage Deer Valley. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to share your impressions of our friendly team and of the hotel itself. Reading your review of APEX is especially rewarding – we appreciate your sharing with us that the restaurant met your every expectation and we will be sharing these comments with the culinary team who are passionate about providing these experiences for our guests. We will also share your comments with the wonderful Brenna, in Spa Montage, our photographer Ted and with Jordan who is part of our great team of drivers. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I just returned from Deer Valley and once again the Montage feels like home. This is probably our 4th time to stay here. If you are planning to ski, you can rent everything you need from Compass located on the bottom floor. There are two ski lifts right outside of the Montage that will take you to all levels of skiing. Empire will offer great black and Double blue runs, the Ruby lift will take you to other parts of the mountain to access easier runs. Deer Valley is a huge mountain that offers many options to all levels of skiers.
You will find many food options also available at the Montage. My favorite is the sushi place located next to the GREAT ROOM. Speaking of the great room, there is usually always a musician playing there, and so far, all have been very entertaining. The last time we were there with our kids, the musician allowed my daughter to sing while he played piano. TIPS are welcome. Other restaurants on site are Apex, Daly's and the Bar next to Apex (I can't remember the name) Apex offers a great buffet. Daly's is very kid friendly, with pool tables, a bowling alley, dart boards, video games, etc. The Shepards Pie at Daly's is a must.
This time we stayed in a standard room. There was plenty of room for just my husband and I, the bathroom was very large with his and her sinks, open tub and glass closed shower. This room also had a small foyer. Upon our arrival we were very thirsty and disappointed to find our mini bar empty, this was quickly taken care. The elevator to our room was closer to the main lobby, I prefer this elevator versus walking through the main great room to access elevators. If you have issues with walking, you may want to ask for the elevators closer to the lobby. And then ask for a room closer to the elevator. Our room had a humidifier in the closet, I suggest using it, since the air is so dry.
Richie Sambora was playing in the great room on our first night, I'm guessing this was for a Sundance party. I was lucky enough to have my picture made with him twice. The first time my husband forgot the flash. So I had to return.
The bartenders at the bar (the one I can't remember the name of) were exceptionally nice and my husband and I enjoyed the interaction. Very nice guys who take pride is cleaning the glassware until it shines. I'm not kidding! Definitely eat the Chicken Schnitzel at the bar. Fantastic.
Planning to return in 2015 for a family ski trip. This was an award trip presented by Acura.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie U:

Thank you for taking the time to share your Montage Deer Valley experience with TripAdvisor members – your comments and observations absolutely mean the world to us. Our hope is that guests feel at home when they are with us and reading your review expressing these sentiments reaffirms our commitment. I’m delighted you enjoyed YAMA SUSHI as well as DALY’S PUB and the popular chicken schnitzel at APEX. I’m also glad to read that you enjoyed the live music nightly in VISTA LOUNGE and the conviviality of our great bartenders. Reading how much you appreciated the comfort of our guest rooms is also great to hear and that you took full advantage of the true ski-in/ski-out access we provide to the slopes of Deer Valley Resort. We look forward to welcoming your family back in 2015!