“Exceptional hotel”

Ranked #2 of 60 Hotels in Park City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Exceptional hotel”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic stay here. From start to finish staff were exceptional (in fact probably the best service I've had in years!). We stayed in a lovely suite which was very luxurious, and had everything you could need. The Apex restaurant provided a phenomenal meal again with excellent service. Grounds here are lovely and the amenities were great. Rooms were very quiet. Definitely a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear mindYays:

Thank you for taking the time to share your enthusiastic review with TripAdvisor members. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the resort's grounds, the guest rooms, APEX dining and, most of all, that the service of our associates met (and exceeded) your expectations. We want to provide memorable guest experiences and your 'exceptional' comments let us know that we are on the right track. It would be an honor to welcome you back to Park City.

Montage Deer Valley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had the most beautiful wedding one week ago at the Montage Deer Valley. We could not be happier with the entire staff and our overall experience. Their service and attention to detail are impeccable. Everything was absolutely perfect from the beginning planning stages through our wedding day. The Montage Deer Valley is a very special place for us as we have celebrated many special occasions there including our engagement and wedding day. We will continue our loyalty to the Montage Deer Valley and Montage hotels for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear K. Y:

It was a true honor for our associates to welcome you for your wedding and nothing means more to us than knowing we are making a difference in the lives of our guests. It is our sincere hope that we will see you often over the coming months and years and that you will always enjoy the 'impeccable' experience you deserve. If there is anything I can do to assist with your next visit, please don't hesitate to contact me or any of our Montage associates. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments with TripAdvisor members and congratulations on your nuptials!

Very best wishes,

Irvine, California
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our group of twenty-six had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Montage, our second annual get-away, and by far the most successful business trip this company has ever planned. To a person, everyone had nothing but fine comments about the hotel, Park City, the wealth of activities available, and the staff of the hotel.

For those that don’t know, Montage is a “young”, up and coming luxury chain of hotels. Until this year, this Montage was one of three properties (Laguna Beach, Beverly Hills, and Deer Valley), but the chain has recently expanded into South Carolina and Hawaii (Maui).

Though the group was booked there sight unseen, in truth I have stayed at the two properties in California, and I was aware of the quality of the property without having to see it.
The Montage Deer Valley is similar to other mountain ski properties, in that they lower their rates during the summer “down time”, yet maintain the same high level of service typical of excellent properties. As a result, we thought it would be bargain to host the event at this hotel, and it was exactly what we expected, and more.

Deer Valley is right outside Park City, Utah, the home of Robert Redford’s Sundance Film Festival, which is held each year in January. The town is charming, still maintains the old mining look of old days, and has an excellent assortment of excellent shops and restaurants. In fact, we hosted dinners at two different restaurants the first two nights of our event, and each went extremely well.

Park City has embraced the need to increase events during the summer months to enable the hotels in the area to book heavily during the summer months, and I believe they are succeeding. There is an excellent summer concert series (which we did not do), art festivals, and other events that will keep you and your guests occupied if they simply want to go into town and do some shopping or eating.

We happened to be there during the art festival, and though I am a resident of Laguna Beach, CA (which is art central for Southern CA), I was impressed by the high level of artists displaying their gifts.

The hotel is situated high up the mountain in Deer Valley, and is a ski on/off property, and a good five or ten minute drive above Park City. While you can certainly hike it, be prepared to be climbing a steep incline on the way back to the hotel. I prefer to call the hotel, which is happy to send a van to drop and pick you and your guests up.

The chair lift immediately beside the property will also bring you to the top of the mountain, where you can walk and either hike back down the resort (about forty minutes), or return by chair lift. Many of our guests did this, and all enjoyed the experience and the amazing scenery.

The Montage is a sprawling property built into the mountain, and the sixth floor lounge is a beautiful room packed with comfortable chairs and sofas, a huge fireplace, and a full bar. It was an ideal meeting place for our guests, and many of us spent a lot of time there.

The hotel also features S’mores each evening between 8 and 9 PM, and it is a wonderful touch to be out there on one of the large decks, overlooking the gorgeous scenery toasting marshmallows. Though we are all far too old to be considered kids, we all looked forward to our nightly treat.

The hotel also has a wonderful spa, and most of our guests enjoyed the services, and all had rave reviews for the facility. Again, having had the pleasure of staying at other Montage properties, I was not the slightest bit surprised that the hotel had a world-class spa.

Downstairs, the hotel had a surprise: a combination ice cream shop/bowling alley/video game parlor/game room, and once again, our group surprised ourselves by using that facility and reliving some of our youth.

I will admit that many guests of the hotel bring their children, and though we may have lucked out (or perhaps it’s the setting), but these were the best behaved youngsters I have ever seen, and I often found myself smiling as the family walked through the hotel as one would expect a family of ducklings, with mom and dad followed by the little ones. For those that are looking for a family friendly setting to host a business trip, this is IT.

The hotel’s restaurant serves excellent light fare for breakfast and lunch, and the staffing there is as good as any hotel facility I have ever enjoyed, and I travel about 300,000 miles a year.

The Montage (and the area), offers a wealth of summer activities, including fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking, golf, jogging, yoga, archery, and with such a wealth of things to do, our business group stayed happy and busy each day. Add this to the ongoing art show in town, and we had a lot of stories to exchange each night during our pre-planned dinners.

I was rather impressed by the coordination of the business office, which helped me during the planning for the event, and though they were ever-present during the weekend, they were never obtrusive. They were simply available whenever I had any questions or special (unplanned) needs.

The rooms were typically beautiful, nicely furnished, and full-sized, what one would expect to find at a superior resort, and each of our guests were delighted. The cleaning staff did their jobs quickly and quietly, and each time I returned to change clothing or retrieve something, it was clear that they had been there quickly and efficiently.

We hosted our final dinner at the resort, and the chef and staff did an outstanding job, and their selected menu was wonderful.

You know it’s been a successful business meeting when everyone spends a long time embracing and saying goodbye to one another, wondering where we’ll meet next year. I owe much of this to the hotel, who went over the top making certain we were happy.

Deer Valley is a forty-five minute to one hour drive from the Salt Lake City airport, so the most difficult part of the event planning is making certain everyone finds a way to get back and forth from the airport, but I can say from my experience that it’s well worth the trouble.

I cannot recommend this property enough to event planners. You will have the best staff helping you coordinate the meeting, a worth five-star property available at a discounted rate, and scenery that will take your breath away.

Room Tip: The hotel's Vista rooms have excellent views of the property and surrounding mountains.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank steve l
Dear steve I:

First of all, I want to thank you for staying with Montage in Southern California and for trusting our brand enough to give the resort in Deer Valley the opportunity to host your event. Secondly, I want to express my appreciation for the time you spent providing TripAdvisor members with such a comprehensive and enthusiastic summary of our resort offerings. If we could make a nomination for finest review of the year, it would be yours. The passion and detail in your comments will not be equaled on the TripAdvisor website and we are sincerely honored that these words were expressed on our behalf. I will be personally sharing the review with all of our teams on property so that they see the difference they make, from culinary to spa, front drive, recreation and our business center associates. I also want to thank you for pointing out how special Park City is in the summer - and, in particular, the wonderful Kimball Arts Festival. We hope to welcome you back to Montage Deer Valley and hope that you also will able to visit our newest sister properties Montage Kapalua Bay (Maui) and the Inn at Palmetto Bluff, a Montage resort in South Carolina. We look forward to welcoming you and your group back to Park City or any of our Montage Hotels & Resorts.

With sincere appreciation,

Memphis, TN
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We arrived at the airport to find that our transfers has not been arranged-quite a feat to overcome at the last minute with 7 people. We called the hotel and they were quick to arrange transfers, but we were off to a bad start. Our chosen room was really too small for our group, so we made arrangements to move, with the expected upgrade in price. Our bags took over an hour to arrive however. The staff was really friendly, and seemed to care about their guests. However, there were problems.
It would have been nice to know that the shuttle only arrived every 30 minutes or so. We ended up renting a car from town.
I had a child with me, and most received a stuffed animal upon check in-mine did not.
They were supposed to bring their "canine ambassadors" down twice a day. We went one morning at 11:10 am, and were told they had to leave because they needed to potty. What did they do the other 23 1/2 hours of the day?
The 4th of July celebration was a big let down. On the main lawn of the property, there was a private celebration for the owners of the residences. There were balloon makers, games, a huge buffet, etc. However, even though we were renting a residence, we were not invited. There were no activities for the rest of the guests-not even music by the pool. There were no chairs to be had there, and had a 2 hour waiting list to sit down. There were several boys fighting over the one pool toy that was made available-really? Several guests sent their kids over to the party anyway, so I went to ask at the front desk-it was confirmed we were not allowed at the any of the events.
The worst was when an owner form another state arrived and was immediately seated. The manager showed up, and began gushing over them, offering specialty drinks, snacks, etc. We were chopped liver, apparently. I asked someone and they said yes, owners from all over received special treatment. I guess the $14,000 I spent with them that week was not enough...

Housekeeping did not refill products regularly

The spa was very nice and was a good experience

Meals were expensive for what you got but the staff was nice.

We had an atv tour scheduled, and we had a car. The concierge gave us the wrong directions, and our GPS was not working due to poor service in the area. We were 30 min late and only enjoyed part of our 2 hour tour.
Lastly, I went to speak to a manager about these experiences. She listened very closely, and seemed to appreciate the feedback-she was very kind. She told me to definitely expect a follow up from the GM when I returned home, which never happened.
The pizza restaurant was often closed, leaving only one choice in-house.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank melissamce
Dear melissamce:

I want to sincerely apologize that the resort did not meet with your expectations and want to give you my personal pledge that we will see to a flawless stay, should you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Park City. We have made a number of attempts to contact you following your stay to follow up, and I hope that we will be able to connect. We appreciate your comments about the 'good' experiences you did have at the resort and would very much look forward to taking your experience from 'good' to 'great.' Thank you again for joining us during the 4th of July Weekend and we hope we will have the honor and pleasure of your family's company in the future. Thank you for reaching out to me if and when you would ever like to speak about a future visit.

Yours sincerely,

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had our Industry Board Meetings at the Montage and couldn't have had a better experience. The staff was thoughtful and helpful. The facility is clean, new and gorgeous. Park City provides unlimited options for dining and nightlife. The mountains very accessible from the hotel for biking and hiking. The pool area was very relaxing. We had many board members who had never been to Utah and they loved the experience as did the many return visitors. The fire pits were a warm gathering spot and we spent more than one evening enjoying each other's company around them. A few of our Board Members told me (unsolicited) that it was the best meeting ever! Appreciate the Montage making us look good! Also love the pet friendly service!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear DandLYoung:

Thank you for joining us at Montage Deer Valley and for taking the time to share your impressions of the resort with TripAdvisor members! As you noted with your meeting attendees, so many of our guests have never been to Utah before staying with us and it is a joy to get such enthusiastic feedback about the beauty of Park City, especially in the summer (as we are best known for our Olympic ski scene and January's Sundance Film Festival). Knowing that your guests felt it was the 'best meeting ever' is the most rewarding comment we could hope to hear. We especially appreciate your enthusiastic words about our resort facilities, pool area, pet friendly services and, most of all, the team members who strive to create great experiences for our guests. Your review lets us know we are on the right track and it means the world to us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the months and years ahead.

Southern California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Where do I start??? Amazing Service... Greeted at the door by name and escorted to room to check in. Friendly , knowledgable , and fun! Room beautiful! They have my favorite bath products Lemon Verbena. Fireplace turned on easily by switch. A sweater blanket on the couch that is heaven to curl up in. Resort. Kid's Favorite... The s'mores outside at the fire pit. Raspberry Marshmallows Yum. Teenager's favorite the library. Adult favorite. Fireplace & mulled wine. Family favorite. Big fluffy robes down to the hot tubs at -3 degrees! Easy shuttle service to Park City Mountain for day of Snowboarding. Overall amazing long weekend. Warning: prices are not for the faint of heart.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Mommy2mygirlies
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Mommy2mygirlies:

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our resort with TripAdvisor members. We are delighted to read that so many aspects of the resort were 'favorites' for so many different members of your family. We are here to help multi-generational families create lifelong memories and reading your comments lets us know that we are on the right track! Thank you for your enthusiastic words about our signature check in service, fireplaces and room amenities (including signature Lemon Verbena & Cedar bath products and scents), s'mores tradition, fluffy robes and the mulled wine we serve in Vista Lounge during our Winter ski season. Also, thank you for pointing out that we are just five minutes from Park City Mountain Resort which is a haven for snowboarders. We are pleased to provide complimentary transportation for our guests to enjoy that great Park City attraction adjacent to Deer Valley. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in a future season!

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I had an opportunity to experience the Montage at Deer Valley as we attended a mid-summer business meeting for approximately 40 people. The scenery is spectacular…The facility is wonderfully designed to maximize the entire mountain experience…And most importantly, the staff is elite class…From the bell stand through registration, housekeeping, restaurants, lounges, pools and spa, every personnel encounter was a positive experience…including one totally over the top happening…While being escorted to our room by Guest Reception Agent, Petric Vaslie, we mentioned that we were arriving right on the heels of our daughter’s wedding in Maine and would soon be traveling to Delhi, India for a second half of the event. Over the next few days, our first night escort dropped off a fun gift to share with the new bride as well as an extensive paper file describing the best things to do in Delhi…We travel frequently and I cannot imagine ever enjoying a staff experience more than the past week.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
MontageDeerValley, Manager at Montage Deer Valley, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Meeting P:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our resort with TripAdvisor members. It was a great privilege to host your meeting in Deer Valley and we are pleased to read that you were impressed with the resort facilities, location and scenery. Of course, the most important aspect of any hotel stay is the service experience and I will be sharing your enthusiastic feedback with our teams in bell/valet, housekeeping, restaurants, pool and spa. It is especially satisfying to know that Petric provided you with the kind of personalized and memorable experience that is the hallmark of Montage Hotels & Resorts. We strive to make a difference in the lives of our guests and trust that you had a wonderful stay in Delhi. We hope to have the honor of your return visit in Park City or any of our Montage locations in the coming months and years. Thank you again for letting us share in your family's joy.