Black Bear Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Chateaux Deer Valley(Park City)
  • Breakfast included
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley(Park City)
  • Breakfast included
Stag Lodge(Park City)
  • Pool
Imperial Hotel(Park City)
  • Pool
All reviewssilver lakeblack beansmid mountaindeer valleythe private hot tubthe living dining areahour coffeefront deskcorner unitdirectly across the streetwalking distanceworked greatthese condosminute walkrestaurants and shopsliving roomclose proximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2007

This was the second time that we stayed at this property. Black Bear is well located within the Silver Lake area of Deer Valley. We prefer this to the base area, known as Snow Park. The best skiing at Deer Valley, in my opinion, is above Silver Lake (Sterling and Wasatch lifts) or in the Empire Pass area, not the base at Snow Park. This is just a matter of preference, as the entire mountain is first class. Empire Pass is mostly blue and black runs. Some green. It is very easy to ski down from Silver Lake area down to the bottom at Snow Park. Nice blue cruisers. However, if you have young kids that are going to ski school, you may want to stay at Snow Park because that is where the ski school is located and young novice children may not be able to handle the rather long run from Silver lake down to the bottom. There are green runs to take to Snow Park, if need be.

This is not a ski in/ski out property. You need to walk about 200 yards to get to the slopes; however, you can store your skis (free) and rent a locker at Silver Lake Lodge (excellent facility with great food) which is where you access the mid-mountain lifts and also purchase lift tickets. Black Bear is also located directly across the street from the Stein Eriksen Lodge, which is five star and has great food. There are also great on mountain restaurants and shops at Silver Lake. All are no more than a five minute walk from Black Bear.

The accommodations at Black Bear are nice, but a bit dated. Appliances were also dated but functional. It is patterned after a log cabin. Our room had a hot tub but faced the street. This didn't bother me as this area does not see much traffic late in the day or at night. No plasmas in my room. The Units look to be 15 to 20 years old and look it. However, the furniture was very comfortable as were the beds. The private hot tub was a great amenity. I noted that there were public hot tubs but they seemed to be nothing special. We just used the one on the balcony and it worked great. Room was very clean. Staff was also very nice and friendly. Underground heated parking is a nice feature as well. It is also very easy to get to Main Street in Park City (main area for shopping and bars/restaurants) from Silver lake area. Thus, Black Bear has a great location.

Overall, we very much enjoyed the stay. It is not a five star resort. There is no food or beverage on site, but you can easily walk to Silver Lake plaza or go to Stein's (where we had a great but expensive meal). You are obviously going to go grocery shopping and the kitchen has a dishwasher and full appliances. The fireplace was also nice. There were tv's in both bedrooms and in the family room. Our unit had dining seating for six, a leather couch and two very comfortable leather chairs.

One important note to those that may want to stay in the summer: I do not believe that this property has any air conditioning, just heat. I have stayed in Deer Valley in the summer. Some of the days are rather warm and I would not stay there. We were in the Black Bear area in July (stayed at Steins) and Black Bear was basically uninhabited. I don't know if there are others that want A/C or it just doesn't rent well that time of year. I did note that one Black Bear unit was occupied (during our July visit to the area) and the back door was left open for circulation. Some of the days approached 90 degrees, although the evenings were very pleasant. You make the call.

Overall, we would recommend this as a winter resort, but not a summer resort (because there is no air conditioning, just heat).

If you have more money, I would recommend considering staying in one of the new properties in Empire Pass. All are basically ski in/ski out but they will cost more. I would check prices of Arrowleaf or Grand Lodge. Both are new and are very upscale with high end finishes. They are more expensive, however. Further, Empire Pass has no restaurants, unlike Silver Lake. Thus, you might prefer staying at Black Bear and being in Silver Lake. I hope that this is helpful.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
34  Thank Arrowleaf
Reviewed 20 September 2007

I coordinate conferences for one of the largest restaurant operations
in the state and we stay at Black Bear Lodge as often as we can. The staff at both Resorts West and the Black Bear Lodge is terrific! They
accommodate even our most random request and they are always a pleasure to work with. Black Bear Lodge is beautiful and the rooms always amaze my guests. I can't wait to be able to stay at Black Bear Lodge for my own personal vacation.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank vmoore15
Reviewed 18 September 2007

While visiting friends in Salt Lake City my girlfriend and I took the opportunity to take in a weekend for ourselves in Park City. We stayed at the Black Bear Lodge at Deer Valley Resort. The spacious, cozy suite was a welcoming retreat offering an ambiance perfect for the romantic get away (The hot tub and jacuzzi bath certainly helped with this). The elevation of the lodge made for some amazing views along with absolute perfect summer weather. With a plethera of activities to experience our only regret was that we were unable to stay longer and take full advantage of all the Lodge had to offer.

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank smithworks
Reviewed 10 September 2007

My husband and I spent three months this summer, at the Black Bear Lodge, in unit #109. We booked through VRBO.com. The owners were most accomodating and this unit was well equiped with staple food/spice items, cookware/serving ware, utensils, games, technology, etc.
We became familiar with the Black Bear Lodge through our son. He provided us with a weeks stay (in a defferent unit) last fall. We loved it! The accomodations are private, somewhat upscale, and most comfortable.
The staff at the Lodge was always helpful. In the "off season" there is much to do. Mountain biking, hiking, walking throughout the differing communities that lie at the base of Silver Lake Lodge - to name a few. Park City is always fun and there is much to see and do there. Restraunts are abundant and dining experience is almost always wonderful.
During our stay we met people from different areas of the US and exchanged addresses. We look forward to spending time with them during the upcoming ski season.
Our son was married at the Silver Lake Lodge in July.. It was a wonderful event. We held a brunch for over 100 people (over a 5 hour period) in our condo the day after the wedding. Unit #109 is a ground level unit and we had access to the outside areas.
Most units have hot tubs, and we thoroughly enjoyed ours each night. The sky was almost always clear and the stars were abundant.
We read the reviews of this property and felt several were overly critical - but everyone has an opinion...
We look forward to returning to the BBL again.
Jeannie and Jack

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank jeannieandjack
Reviewed 26 June 2007

I stayed at Black Bear in late March and must say I was extremely pleased. First thing I noticed when I arrived was how friendly and inviting the front desk staff was when I checked it. There was a little bit of a line, but they worked quick and even offered me a cup of hot chocolate while I waited!

When I got to my room, I was impressed. I stayed in a two bedroom on the 2nd floor. It was as my travel agent had described: Large with a rustic feel. I use the term “rustic” only because of the look the room had, the antler lights, chairs made of rawhide, and unfinished wood. The way a mountain lodge should be! Although, the feel was rustic the amenities were far from it. Private hot tub, Jacuzzi bath tubs, in-room washer/dryer, DVD player, free wifi and even surround sound!

Maid service was excellence, and my special demands were met with enthusiasm and speed. I asked for a blender for the kitchen and it was there within ten minutes. Also, when I asked about where to go grocery shopping the front desk asked for my list and had it taken care of. It was great to be able to go skiing and come back to a fully stocked fridge of cold beer.

My only complain would be the lack of an on-site restaurant, but the staff was willing to provide me with the menus of several local restaurants, place the order for me and deliver it to my room. So it really wasn’t that big of a deal. Other than that, it can get a little loud in the morning as folks walk on the wooden decks outside in their ski boots, but honestly it wasn’t anything more than any other place I’ve stayed during ski season. It just comes with the territory.

All in all, Black Bear was awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone considering Deer Valley for a vacation, did I mention the slopes are only 100 feet away! First Class!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank Skiandbeachbum