“Great location, reasonable price and terrific service to boot”
Review of Black Bear Lodge

Black Bear Lodge
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location, reasonable price and terrific service to boot”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We recently spent 6 days at the Black Bear Lodge Condos during the Presidents' holiday week and had a terrific time. First off, the nightly price for the spacious condo in the Deer Valley Silver Lake mid-mountain resort area were extremely reasonable comparing to other resorts/hotel in the same area. Our condo is a two bedroom condo with a very spacious living room with a pull out sofa bed that we did not used. There were plenty of room for my family of four. The kitchen is very convenient as well and is stocked with pots, pans, dishes, glasses, utensils and other useful kitchen items. On occasions, we find it more economical and stress free to eat in. The resort has a shuttle van that will take you anywhere in the surrounding Park City areas as long as you let them know about 30 minutes in advance. On busy days, like the holiday weekends, its best to reserve it further in advance. Everyone we came in contact with were friendly and accommodating. There is a small heated outdoor pool and hot tub which we did not used. Our condo also has a personal hot tub out on the balcony. The two bedrooms are spacious with two queen beds. There are two full bath also. The location of the lodge cannot be beat. Centrally located within walking distance to the lifts and ski rental shops nearby. There are also several top rated restaurants nearby within walking distance. I have two children in ski school which starts their lesson in the snow park area. To get there in the morning you can take the shuttle down, ski down, or take the chair lift down. There is no restaurant at the lodge so you need to make arrangement to eat out or cook and eat in. The shuttle van took us to a local market nearby for our food supply, to dinner and back, and for a night out strolling along Main Street in Park City. We only had one complaints which is noise level especially if you have a large family staying above. We can head loud walking noises from the people above but thank goodness they retired to bed early like we do and didn't keep us up all night. Overall, we had a terrific time here at the Black Bear Lodge and Condo for their value, location, price, service and convenience. We will certainly come here again should our skiing vacation planning in the future brings us back to this lovely ski resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors for less noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank bluescrubs
Alicia S, Marketing Coordinator at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We love to hear feedback, especially in such detail! I'm glad that you got a great value out of our free shuttle service and were able to experience Deer Valley and Park City to the fullest. We are always grateful for our wonderful guests and I thank you for your business. We couldn't do it without you! We hope to see you again next season!

Kind regards,

Wyndham Vacation Rentals

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Greenville SC
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I love it when a plan come together. I booked the unit through a VRBO link. The reviews I read were great, and the facility lived up to its billing. We have visited Deer Valley several times and were familiar the area. Because of the reasonable price I was skeptical of what we would find. Our 3rd floor one BR unit was clean, spacious well maintained. The staff was there if you need them but not in your face. I am planning on renting again. And Again.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors offer "views". It is possible to hear "ski boots" walking fr...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! I'm glad to hear you got a good value with your stay and you got to experience the wonderful views of Deer Valley. We're looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit. Thank you so much for choosing us for your stay. We truly appreciate your business.

Thank you!

Chicago
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We are just returning from the perfect ski weekend at Deer Valley. We stayed in a charming two-bedroom ski condo at Black Bear Lodge and were perfectly delighted with the place. It was spacious, comfortable, and clean. We loved the hot tub on the deck and the cozy self-lighting fireplace in the living room. The kitchen was spotless and well-appointed with very nice appliances and everything we needed to have breakfast in the morning. And the location is extremely convenient. We stepped out the door and walked right into Silver Lake Village about a block away. After we enjoyed après at the Stein Erikson, we walked right back to our condo across the street. We also found the staff to be wonderful! Especially the concierge Jennifer, who went out of her way to recommend restaurants to us and help is get oriented to Park City. We are already hoping to book the same unit again next year. Thanks for a lovely getaway!

Room Tip: We had a corner unit and it was beautiful.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachel G
Rachel,
Thank you so much for your kind review! I'm glad to hear you had a great ski vacation in Park City. Jen really knows her stuff when it comes to dining and activities in the area I'm glad she was able to assist you. Thank you so much for staying with us and letting us be part of your memorable ski trip! I hope we will see you again next season, or maybe in the summer! Come see the other side of Park City!

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We just finished our second stay at Black Bear Lodge and have only good things to say:
- The location is fantastic. While not technically ski in and ski out, it is about a 2 minute walk to the Silver Lake ski valet - so you can go back and forth from the mountain any time you want.
- Both of our units (101 and 107) had been recently renovated with very nice kitchens, bathrooms and other furnishings.
- The free shuttle service is super useful for going anywhere you want to go. We used it for dinner most nights and to ski Park City one day. Last year we rented a car and never used it - this year we just got transfers from the airport.
- The staff is very friendly overall. Jennifer Ringquist (concierge) and Molly at the front desk (both Wyndham employees) were super.
- We had the community hot tub and pool practically to ourselves and really enjoyed it throughout the week.
- Our particular unit this year (107) is right next to the front entrance and the hot tub is smaller than most so we never used it (just went right outside the unit to the community tub) and it was a non-factor in our enjoyment.

Overall a tremendous value in Deer Valley.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank virginiamike
I would first like to thank you for your wonderful feedback. We love to hear good reviews from guests! I will be sure to pass on your praises to Molly and Jen, as they will surely appreciate it. I also want to thank you for choosing us for your stay in Park City and I hope we will see you again next season!

Warm Regards,

Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A wonderful property with well equipped condos. Our 2 bedroom unit was on the 2nd floor and was very clean and welcoming. It was extremely spacious with plenty of room for everyone to relax. The full kitchen and washer/dryer were a huge bonus for our family as well. Our family enjoyed the private hot tub on the balcony and the ideal location with close proximity to some really great restaurants and shops. When we came back, we were always greeted with a smile from the on-site staff and appreciated the free coffee and snacks in the lobby area. It was nice to sleep with the windows open at night to enjoy the cool mountain air. This was our first trip to the Black Bear Lodge and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Island_Gil
Jason S, General Manager at Black Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest,

First, I'm very happy you had a great stay at Black Bear Lodge. I appreciate your kind words regarding the property, and your experience. I agree that the rooms are spacious, and the property's location is ideal. I'm also very pleased that your interactions with our on-site staff were positive. They do a fantastic job, and we are lucky to have them! I'm glad to hear that we will be seeing you again at Black Bear and look forward to your next visit!

Best regards,

Jason Schnaitter
jason.schnaitter@wynvr.com
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We just wanted to express our disappointment in the Black Bear Lodge. We have stayed at a lot of other upscale hotels in park city and deer valley and not once have we left early. This was the first time. It actually felt great to leave. My wife and I booked what we thought would be a relaxing getaway for this weekend only to be thoroughly disappointed in our choice. The cons of this weekend greatly outweighed the pros. Our rooms were about 80 degrees even though it was 50 degrees outside at night. Very uncomfortable. We even opened the windows thinking that it would help but it didn't. Our cable went out and we were only able to view 15 local channels which was very frustrating. We also purchased the room solely because it was advertised that there would be a private hot tub. We got there and the hot tub was empty and had parts inside it. I called and asked about it and was told that during the summer there is an extra charge for the hot tub for them to prep it. We weren't informed regarding that whole situation. Very frustrating. We then decided to go use the shared hot tub outside which we found to be pretty much disgusting. I actually cleaned it myself because even after I told the front desk about it, the day after it was still very dirty. When you are paying hundreds of dollars a night you expect to enjoy your stay and have things cleaned and taken care of. The list continues with the maid walking into our rooms while we were sleeping because nobody notified her that we were staying for the weekend. Good thing she didn't walk in on us dressing or anything else. Also we weren't provided a parking pass. The front desk called us on our second day to notify us that they forgot to include it with our check in packet, which leads me to another complaint. I have never had a more difficult time checking into a place than I had with Black Bear Lodge. We got there after work around 6 after the front desk had closed. When we looked at the map on the front door it said to go around the other way to enter after hours. That was locked too. We then went back to the front and had to call several numbers to finally figure out how to get in. Why don't people let you know how to check in if you are getting there late? Come on people. We actually had invited another couple to come stay with us for the weekend because we reserved the two bedroom lodge but they weren't able to make it. In retrospect I'm very glad that they didn't drive all the way up there for an experience like that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Daniel1609
Dear Guest,

First let me apologize that you were disappointed with your stay. We want each of our guests to have a relaxing time at Black Bear and I’m sorry that you did not feel this way following your trip. In researching your stay, there were many things presented in your review that conflict with information that we have regarding your stay. I will attempt to address each of your issues individually. First, I do apologize that your unit was warm upon your arrival. The end of June can be very warm in Park City. As we communicated to you when you made your reservation, this unit was not equipped with air conditioning. We do however provide multiple fans in each unit for our guests comfort, and delivered additional fans during your stay. Typically, our guests are able to position the fans to bring in some of the cooler night air that you mentioned to make things more pleasant. In addition, we did offer to move you to a unit on a lower floor during your stay which typically provides for a cooler experience. You declined this offer. I do apologize that you had an issue with your cable during your stay. When we inspected your unit prior to your arrival it was receiving the full Comcast Digital Starter menu of 80+ channels. You did not mention this problem during your stay for us to attempt to resolve. Regarding the hot tubs mentioned in your review - we communicated to you during the booking process that the private hot tubs at Black Bear are available during our summer rentals for a fee. You declined at the time of booking to add this service. A customer service representative again reached out to you 4 days prior to your arrival to again inquire if you had changed your mind and would like the spa filled for your arrival. You again declined this service. I’m sorry that you found the common area spa water not to your satisfaction. We take this concern very seriously. Immediately following your visit to the front desk we did communicate with the Homeowners Association who maintains the spa and requested a service. They checked both the water and the cleanliness of the spa. Their inspection of the spa found it to be clean, and balanced. In addition, we had many other guest’s and owners at Black Bear that weekend who utilized the common area spa and pool. We did not receive any similar feedback from any other traveler regarding the common area spa. Concerning the housekeeper that you mentioned entered your unit. If a member of our staff entered your unit without a knock on the door or announcing themselves as they entered I sincerely apologize. I also apologize that there was not a parking pass in your check-in packet, and that you had difficulty checking in after our front desk was closed. We did provide you directions regarding this process with your reservation contract. In addition, there are directions on the front door at Black Bear to assist our guests that arrive after hours. Also, we do have a phone inside of the door next to the lock box that connects guests with a customer service representative to assist them if they are having trouble. You mentioned that you utilized this service. However our records indicate we did not have any calls from this line documented on the evening of your check-in. Regardless, we apologize for the inconvenience. You do mention in the beginning of your review that your disappointment led to you to leave the property early. I’m sorry that you felt this way. Typically when a guest makes this decision they notify us and sometimes request compensation back for the remaining time. We did not receive this request from you, but are happy to accommodate you for a return night at Black Bear at our expense.

Best Regards,

Jason Schnaitter
jason.schnaitter@wynvr.com
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Beautiful property within walking distance of Deer Valley Ski Resort. We had two families and rented two adjoining condos, the single entry door allowed us to leave the doors open yet still have two separate spaces.

Room Tip: The only problem we encountered was using the kitchen "non-stick" pans, they should be rep...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family