Let me begin by saying that, had I followed my original itinerary, I would still be on my ski vacation in Park City, Utah right now.
These accommodations were so unacceptable that we ended our trip after only 48 hours in Utah and flew back to California. Black Bear Lodge is, by far, the worst place I have ever stayed in my entire life. The units are dirty and outdated, and the staff is rude and unobliging.
My father and I checked in to Black Bear Lodge (unit #204) at 6:30 pm on Tuesday night. Check-in time, as stated on the information packet we received, is 3:00 pm. When we walked in, the cleaning staff had just begun to clean the unit. They did not finish until 7:00 pm. There was no bellman or luggage cart so we carried our luggage up to the second floor on our own.
That evening, the guests in the unit directly upstairs began to run up and down their halls, screaming and making noise. This continued until midnight and started again at 5 am the following morning. When we complained about the noise, the front desk staff said that they would contact the guests upstairs and ask them to keep it quieter. The cleaning staff also woke us up that morning at 8:30 am by barging into the unit unannounced. Upon returning to the lodge after a full day of skiing, we returned to the unit. The noise upstairs continued, loud as ever. We went back to the front desk and complained again: the staff informed us that they had never contacted the guests upstairs, but that there were six children staying there with one babysitter.
The unit itself was filthy. There were chipped and broken glasses in the cupboards. There were stains on the carpets. There were candy wrappers underneath the bed in one of the bedrooms. The humidifiers had mold on the caps. When we opened the microwave on Wednesday morning to make tea, we found a plate of uncooked food left from the previous inhabitants. Unacceptable.
We spoke to the manager of the lodge in a phone conversation, in which we informed him that we would leave the following morning unless he was willing to accommodate us in a habitable, clean unit away from the noise. He informed us there were no other units available, and that we would have to "deal with it". We packed that night and were on a plane out of Salt Lake City on Thursday morning. He told us he would be by on Thursday morning at 8:30 am in the lobby to go over the paperwork with us and to speak to us personally: he never appeared. The children above us, incidentally, began running around with ski boots on at 5:30 am that morning.
Here's an additional piece of information we overheard just by standing in the lobby for a half hour: the cleaning service was complaining to the front desk because they didn't have enough supplies. They had no cleaning cloths, no cleaning liquids and no trash bags.
This property had the worst service, the worst accommodations and the worst attitude of any place I have ever been. This is my fifth trip to Deer Valley (my father's 8th trip); I enjoy the skiing and the atmosphere very much. We have friends with property in the area. However, this experience has soured my opinion of the resort to the point where I may never return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Its log exterior reminiscent of the grand old lodges of the American West, Black Bear Lodge is a favorite destination in Deer Valley Resort's Silver Lake Village. Located just across the street from the slopes, each unit features a fully equipped kitchen, living room with river rock gas fireplace, wireless internet access and private bathroom per bedroom. Many units also boast a private hot tub on the deck. Additional amenities include pool, common area hot tub, fitness room, business center, on-site front desk, daily housekeeping and local shuttle. Experience Wyndham Vacation Rental's outstanding customer service for yourself - from the time you make your reservation, to your arrival at the front desk, through your departure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Black Bear Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Black Bear Lodge Condos Hotel Park City
- Black Bear Hotel Condos
- Black Bear Lodge Park City, Utah