“Location Isn't Everything!”

Edelweiss Haus
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Location Isn't Everything!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I recently stayed at Edelweiss Haus, EW113 from January 18-25, 2014. I experienced less than satisfactory accommodations, stay and promised services. The following is a list of what I encountered:

1. Upon arrival to Edelweiss Haus, it was understood and expected (we paid for it) that our group would receive portage service to our units and from our units upon arrival &departure. That did not occur.

2. I surveyed the kitchen to find it was ill-equipped for cooking. I had to once again call the front desk to request pots so that we could boil water for pasta & bowls for mixing and storage.

3. As I attempted to settle into my room I learned that the heat was not functioning properly in my bedroom and in the bathroom. I had to call the front desk to complain and finally received two space heaters which had to be run 24hrs to keep the room & bathroom warm!

4. I showered & washed my hair only to learn that none of the hairdryers in the condo worked!!!! Once again I called the front desk to request a working hairdryer.

5. After a long day of travel, I wanted to relax in my bedroom & watch tv. That wasn't possible because the cable box was missing! Once again, I called the front desk to have the matter addressed. I called everyday hoping to be able to sit in my room & watch tv. The missing cable box was never resolved. Instead, I was given a DVD player with no DVDs to watch! I learned that the previous guest took the cable box from the bedroom?!?!

As an experienced traveler, I have come to expect a certain standard of comfort where I stay. Unfortunately, that did not occur at Edelweiss Haus. I will say that the staff tried their best (all were quite friendly and tried to help) but they were ill-equipped to do their jobs because they were not prepared. If asked for a recommendation on where to stay in Park City, I can safely say at this point I would not be able to recommend Edelweiss Haus or Park City Lodging.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!!
4 Thank AndreaWski

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Clinton, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

The facility is very old (the second oldest property on the mountain). The property's owner units vary from unit to unit with no established standard. Some units are better than others. Stayed in unit 101 A & B and it was substandard. The unit had the following deficiencies: dirty area rugs in hallway and bathroom, dirty bedroom carpet, bathroom sink wouldn't drain, bathroom tub would not hold water and drained so slowly during showers that it rose to calf level, tile and grout on kitchen counters was not sealed, broken stove door, intolerable draft from sliding glass doors in living room and master bedroom, expired CO2 detector that activated sounded the alarm for 2 hours and last but not least thrift quality furniture (1980s). The only thing positive about this unit was its proximity to the mountain.

Room Tip: All units are not maintained or created equal and the pictures can be deceptive.
1 Thank Castpolymer1

Travellers are raving about these Park City hotels

Largo, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our ski club just returned from a ski trip to Park City and the Sundance Film Festival. The Edelweiss Haus while perfectly located to ski lift, is an old and poorly maintained property. These owner units are all over the board and some are just not kept in good conditions, very old furniture, dated appliances, old carpeting, etc. We were on an end unit and the bedroom wall was brink and the bathroom had no heating units, we had to get heaters. Overall the outside property is in poor condition also. It was not until a member was seriously injured that a 3-4 inch step was painted red in front of Building B so that walking in or out one could see there was a step. There are to many other nicer places to stay between Park City, Deer Valley and Canyons. Spend the extra money--don't stay in this dump!

Room Tip: Do not stay at this property!
3 Thank Shirley P
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

The building is literally across the street from the Park City mountain, so it is a dream for skiers and snowboarders. It is also only a couple minutes to Deer Valley and The Canyons, and under an hour to Alta. The ski closet is nice because it keeps your gear out of the rooms, but it is only open from 8AM to 9 (?)PM, so don't let your gear get stuck inside the day of your flight, and it may not work if you want to be one of the first people on the lift in the morning. The rooms are two bedroom but kind of small, ours slept a family of four with no problems, but we also had a sofa bed. Full kitchens. Sometimes when the building has low occupancy, then turn off all but one boiler, which makes the baseboard heaters all but useless. When we were there it took them two days to get another boiler on, so we were heating the room entirely by the gas fireplace - not very safe to run the fireplace 24/7 but better than the single digit weather that was slowly creeping in. The location is great, the rooms are as expected, but service could improve.

Room Tip: No elevators, so a 3rd floor room can be a difficult climb when you aren't acclimated to the alt...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Harrison B
Plano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

My family (hubby and 2 boys) stayed at Edelweiss #308 over Spring Break 2013.

The Pros:
Proximity to Park City ski resort was walking distance 2 parking lots away. I only took the rental car out twice to go to the grocery store.

The amenities of #308 EXCEEDED our expectations. The furniture was all retro-modern. The 2 bathrooms were a plus. Tons of cookware and dishes. Nice newish fridge, dishwasher, microwave and convection oven. We used the gas fireplace every day and felt spoilt having 3 flat screen tvs.They also had a collection of DVDs to watch, and a drawer full of board games.

The boys and my hubby really enjoyed the heated pool and hot tub. I got in only once during my stay as I was too tired to bother going down the other 4 days.

The place was gorgeous!

The cons:
The only thing about the condo that I did not like was the bed. Not sure what type mattress, but on 3rd night, I had to resort to sleeping on TOP of the duvet to give my body a buffer from the mattress. It was too hard. My husband thought it might have been a tempurepedic (sp?) mattress and it seemed to produce excess heat from beneath.

The building should invest in thicker windows. You could hear everything outside from people walking/talking, the city bus/shuttle (which runs until 2am), the tractors and/or snow grooming machines. These things I would count against location not necessarily against the Condo itself.

Would Definitely stay again though!

Room Tip: Interior rooms might be quieter. I think #308 is exterior end room and we heard noise nightly from t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jaci T
Palmerston North, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

Anybody looking to rent this apartmetn should know that it is very small, the furnishings are tired, there are multiple entrances that are not all weather proof so winter is drafty and there is very little natural light into the apartment. We were booked to stay 2 wees adn wanted to leave after a day.

Club Lespri that manages it were also not great to deal with. When we went to them with our concerns, they were no help and just passed the problem off to other parties.

The onyl redeeming part was the front reception at the Edelweiss Haus reception team. They were friendly and as helpful as they could be given they did not manage this unit.

Room Tip: If you can go through them great but would stay away from Units A - L as too old and too small.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank emil_smith_nz
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

Two-bedroom condo at Edelweisse Haus -- just across from Park City Mountain Resort -- was all we wanted it to be. Comfortable, convenient, clean. The staff at Park City Lodging were easy to work with, and all the arrangements (airport transport, ordered food in the fridge, ski rental) were just as requested and expected. Bus stop (free muni busses to Old Town Park City, Deer Valley, Canyons, etc) just outside the property -- convenient, but a little noisy since our unit was on the front. Heated pool and hot tub that we intended to use -- and others seemed to enjoy. Would definitely stay there again. Not luxurious, but certainly comfortable and much more affordable than staying across the street at the resort.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple