“Awesome Place!”
Review of The Prospector

The Prospector
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I loved staying here so much! The staff was amazing, they treated my friend and I so great and were extremely helpful. The location is also great and the rooms are really cool! I thought the staff was very efficient and answered all of our questions. I couldn't have asked for a better experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 March 2014

If your not into hotels like the Holiday Inn or something of that class than the Prospector is perfect for you for it is a step down. They have multi type rooms such as lofts, hotel rooms, and condos all of which are very basic. It is very centrally located to downtown Park City and to a few good restaurants which is a good thing. Would I go back? No. If you want a bed and no frills and old and need of new then this is the place.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn Express out at the junction
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank peterballantine
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed here for our 1 year anniversary. I would highly recommend spending the extra cash for a better hotel. The room only had one full bed. I assumed at the time of booking that the hotel standard was queen. There was hair left in the shower stall. The shower was also so small. The walls are paper thin. Our room was right next to the entrance and we were woken up by other guests who were coming and going all night long (the door slams every time it closes). Also we could hear kids running around all hours of the night upstairs. The electricity would also go in and out. The heater was extremely loud and would wake us up again every time it kicked on during the night. If we were planning to stay more than one night I would have checked us out and found a different hotel.

However, the front desk staff was very friendly. The only thing this place has going for it is the great location and the free shuttle stops right in front of here and takes you to main street.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ERE413
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is a "condo" hotel, meaning all the units are owned by pretty much absentee owners. And it shows. While they've just refurbished the lobby, the room we were in was at least 40 years old. The in-room heater made enough noise as a jet engine and had to be "restarted" by maintenance. Maid service was spotty to say the least. One day, the room wasn't even made up, the other days we got a potpourri of towels and washcloths. Sometimes two bath mats and no washcloths. No one ever answers the desk phone. There are no drawers to unpack your clothes and store them so we lived out of a suitcase. And we shared the "living" area with a full size refrigerator that, when combined with the noise from the heater provided a wonderful cacophony for sleepless nights. When we listed the problems with the hotel manager, she wrote them all down and said she'd call us back to resolve. NEVER heard from her. Avoid this "hotel" at all costs. You won't be happy.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank M10002014
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Main area being upgraded. This will be nice when it is done. In Jan 2014 it was incomplete. Pleasant surprise with the room. Nicely painted and furnished. Everything worked and was neat and clean. On the small side but we did not spend much time in the room. Good value for a ski weekend.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We rented 2 rooms across the hall from each other, both identical, rooms #408 & #409. The check in experience was easy & quick, and the front lobby has just been recently completely remodeled. Older reviews about an outdated lobby are no longer accurate. This lobby was amazing! The rooms we were given were beautiful. The views could have been a little better, but the rooms themselves were clean clean, modern, nicely upgraded. Granite, slate, and the stone fireplace. They felt luxurious even though we didn't pay much for them (booked through a vacation rental website for a bargain: vrbo 495987 & 430272). The individual hotel buildings have not been updated yet, but I understand they will be soon. I didn't mind walking down an older hallway to get to my comfortable, clean room. This was centrally located too...close to everything, but slightly off the beaten path so I didn't have to deal with traffic. Great, easy parking. And lots of restaurants in the area so I could eat out if I didn't want to cook in the full kitchen. We stayed in one room, friends across the hall. The only complaint I had was of some noise in the hallway, but I think you have a little noise in any hotel. I'd go back in a second, especially considering the price. I mean, who wouldn't want to save $100 per night or more when traveling...it paid for our lift tickets! Go go go!!

Room Tip: Check vrbo for cheap rooms. Specifically look for ground-floor rooms so you don't have to lug yo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank UtahSkiMom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The Prospector is a disgusting rattrap. I am a resident of Park City and stayed here for a couple of nights with my children during a move. What an embarrassment to our town. The entire property is run down and in desperate need of a renovation. The hallways reeked of mold and dope. Service, such as it was, was dreadful. No one seemed to know where anything was or how anything worked. In addition, note that as a condo hotel you will be sharing the property not just with visitors but with local residents as well. And let’s just say this is not the high rent district of Park City.

Now, there may not be a bad or dangerous neighborhood in our town but if anything qualifies, this place does. More sketchy people were hanging around this place at all hours than I ever see in town. I was worried to park my car in the lot over night and certainly didn’t let my kids out of my sight. The only redeeming factor in this place is that once inside the unit itself (at least the particular one we were assigned), everything did work, it was reasonably comfortable and with the kitchenette and 1.5 baths, reasonably practical. And, of course it was cheap. However, given you will be far from the “action,” will have no view and will be surrounded by people you’d probably rather not see at home let alone on your vacation, I’d say skip this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family