“Absolutely Awful”
Review of The Prospector

The Prospector
Reviewed 24 January 2006

Please save your money and DO NOT stay at this hotel. Our room was never cleaned, we never had towel service, the phone did not work and the front desk was very unhelpful to say the least. The room was very outdated and looked like it had never been cleaned a day.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank Rezets
Management response:Responded 10 February 2006

The lodging units at Prospector Square are each individually owned, therefore each owner has a choice of several management companies. These companies each have their own quality and service standards. There is only one management company which operates on-site, and staffs an on-site front desk, as well as on-site housekeeping and maintenance services.Our aim is to provide a quality service to all of our guests.
The negative Traveler Reviews can be directly traced to companies, which operate off-site, and do not truly reflect the quality and service of the majority of the units managed by the on-site company.Our company has many positive reviews. We are sorry you had a bad experience, and suggest you lodge with the on-site company on your next visit.
Thank you.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 January 2006

I just stayed at the Prospector last week for a ski tournament I was working at Deer Valley and I must say the staff at the Prospector went above and beyone to insure that I was happy with my room and I was really happy to have such a nice room that I could cook in. That saved me a lot of money on my visit to be able to cook breakfast every morning and pack a lunch before I hit the slopes.
I highly recommend this facility to anyone who wants to experience that true charm of Park City.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 22 January 2006

Thank you for staying at Prospector Square Lodge and Conference Center, managed by Prospector Square Management Company. It was a pleasure to host many participants for the recent FIS World Cup Freestyle Championship. Our staff takes great pride in providing a quality experience for our guest.

Seattle, WA
Reviewed 27 October 2005

My wife and I were a little scared after reading several reviews from the internet about the Prospector Square Lodge. There are apparently several management companies that you can book with for Prospector Square. We stayed with All Seasons Resorts and they were awesome! The staff was very accomadating and gave us very helpful information about the area and restaurants. The rooms were wonderful for the price we paid. (ask about the gold rooms!) One of the best places we have stayed for the price. We loved our stay.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
az.
Reviewed 20 August 2005

I stayed at Prospector with my kids. The front desk was very helpful. Our message on the phone wasn't working and they took care of it and fixed it right away. The kids had areas to run around outside. The room was VERY clean. I learned to book with Prospector square directly because they can address any problems with the unit. Other managment co. are off sight therefor don't give the attention to the problems. The onsight management cannot help with those units.
This is the third time I have stayed at Prospector and after I learned this bit of info, I have had a very pleasant stay and will continue to use them.
You can't beat the price.

• Stayed: August 2005
Management response:Responded 17 October 2005

Prospector Square Management Co. recently upgrade the entire phone system, and it is operating much better. The lodging units at Prospector Square are each individually owned, therefor each owner has their choice of several management companies. These companies each have their own quality and service standards. Their is only one management company which operates on-site. The negative Traveler Reviews can be directly traced to companies, which operate off-site, and do not truly reflect the quality and service of the majority of the units managed by the on-site company. Thank you!

Reviewed 13 May 2005

We thought we would save money by booking this hotel. The price was great but the room smelled terrible. There were air freshners placed all over the room when we checked in. The bathroom was outdated and terrible. We were supposed to stay five nights but checked out after two nights. It really was that bad. The dishes and utensils were dirty and the carpet was from the 70's. I would rather sleep outside then visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2005
1  Thank CJMick
Scottsdale
Reviewed 23 March 2005

Conglomeration of several disjointed, unattended, unstaffed and poorly serviced buildings around Prospector Square. We were booked into an already occupied room. After pointing this out to the young and unconcerned desk staff in the central office, it was suggested that we just move the other lodgers belongings out and move ours in! Since there were no staff to clean the room or provide clean bedding, the managers handed us sheets and pillow cases suggesting self service. After much complaining were moved to a smaller unoccupied room at the same rate. The phone in our room didn't work, so we had to rely on cell phones with associated roaming charges even to call the front desk. We had to do this the next day, of course, when we found our room had not been cleaned or serviced. Suggest you continue prospecting for other lodging...

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 March 2005

I stayed 8 nights from 26th February to 5 March and I might have been more fortunate since it was my second stay and I am not masochist. It was not that terrible. There are plus and minuses but I think globally more plusses and would return.
pro:
- it may be very cheap ( I paid around 1100 $ for a package including a long plane trip)
- I got an upgrade : nice room with mountainviews, balcony, sun, 4 could sleep with a fully equipped kitchen as I had just booked for a standard room.
- pretty well located : the free bus system at Park City is fantastic and you don't need a car....let's do some ecology.
- I found the tenants very friendly and problem solving
- A great steak house and a huge wealth center are very close
cons:
- House keeping is very limited and not of good quality: my appartment has been cleaned just once in a week, towels are replaced daily but that is all and no aditional toilet paper.... To get additional cleaning you have to pay.... Ok you make savings on tips but it is not very serious.
Laundry is a real problem: a unique washing mashine at Carraige house 2 blocks aways....
furniture was just ok: the sofa was awful.... but bed ok.
Globally I was satisfied and I would just recommend to have a look on the price : when it is that cheap ( about 80$ per night ) don't expect to have a premium service...and read the description: it is NOT an hotel.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member