“Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Horseheads, New York
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was fortunate enough to win a "12 Days of Stein" prize. The horse drawn sleigh and the dinner were fabulous. The treatment my daughter and I received in the restaurant was beyond anything we have ever experienced. The best food, hands down, of any food we've ever eaten and the quality of the service was amazing. I was able to visit during prime ski season and the lodge was beautiful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

After a recent long weekend at Steins, I am not sure how I could stay/ski anywhere else. The mid-mountain location places you at the center of Deer Valley. The resort's amenities, staff, and facilities are on par with the finest hotel brands in the world. Treat yourself to Steins, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed February 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

After hearing for years about the luxury and elegance of Stein Eriksen , we were SO looking forward to our week of skiing here at the beginning of March. The location on the hill did not disappoint, but everything else did. The infrastructure and design of the place were a constant source of annoyance and complaint. Why have a fireplace in the central lobby that is never lit (except in the morning hours when everyone is heading out to ski?). The decor is tired and trapped in some Norwegian time warp of what luxury looked like in 1986.
Everything from spa to restaurant is a trek, since rooms are spread out laterally as the resort has grown over the years without any logic.
The service is wonderful, valet service to remove and store your boots, but the new Montage with all it's bells and whistles is clearly the new number one place in Deer Valley.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Grammycoco
Dan F, VP & Managing Director at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Stein Eriksen Lodge. I was disappointed to read that the layout of our property and our traditional European design scheme was not what you expected and that it created a negative perception on your behalf. I sincerely appreciate your kind words relative to our service levels and will make a point of personally sharing your feedback with our ski valet team.

Dan Flick
VP & Managing Director
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at the Stein 2 weeks ago and everyday since then I have woken up wishing I was still there. The Stein's customer service from the slopes, to restaurants, to the bellboys, to the housekeeping service was top notch. We arrived and I felt like I was in a winter wonderland. Our plane landed in Salt Lake City and we were at the Stein 45 minutes later. As soon as we arrived our bags were scooped up and we were taken on a tour of the grounds. After walking around and seeing the outdoor pool and hottub located on the mountain and our beautiful clean room we decided to get a a beer and in the lobby bar. We sat down and were waited on immediately. We ordered belgian beers and a delicious hot pretzel. As a live band is playing covers of songs we knew, we noticed the picturesque view of the mountain with the snow coming down. A few minutes later two giant clysdesdale horses walked by on the main deck area. My friends and I started laughing. We felt like we were in a magical movie. We hadn't even had a day out on the mountain yet (which was awesome by the way) but the rest is history! This place was magical and everyone that worked there was so kind and helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I just had the pleasure of staying at Stein about a week ago for 5 days. This lodge is world class from start to finish. The staff is incredibly friendly and engaging. The lodge is everything that you would want your stay in Park City Deer Valley to be. It is beautiful, rustic, warm and inviting as well as stunning. The service at Stein was amongst the best I have ever received from the staff at breakfast to the equipment rental the people were amazing.I would recommend Stein to anyone looking for a relaxing and luxurious ski or summer vacation that enjoys the finer things but also appreciates a more low key atmosphere. A++

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bucks County
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just wrapped up a stay at Stein Eriksen Lodge, there with my spouse for a meeting and some fun. Have to say world class hospitality. From the front desk staff, to the bell caps, to the spa and dinning room staff they were all incredible well trained. Attentive without pushing and just plain friendly. The location is AMAZING, right at Silver Lake mid-way on the mountain making everything very accesible. We got luck and had a hot tub on our deck which really helped after a long day of skiing.

My only complaint was that I didn't get to stay longer and had one marginal day of weather, but SEL can't control everything!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have hot tubs on deck, larger decks, better views, etc - be sure to ask for room details...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the SE for the first time, after many trips to Park City and Deer Valley. There were some very positive aspects of the resort: the service overall was very good, everyone was very pleasant and no service mishaps. The bathtub in the room was very large and for after skiing, this was a nice amenity. The main building or lodge is a very cool area, lots of character and very handsome deep, dark, massive wood beams and that classic lodge feel. I very much appreciated the complimentary breakfast, which was good, but nothing special.

The first thing I immediately noticed was a disjointed layout to the resort. You have to realize that except for a few rooms are completely separate from the main building, and you will walk outside to get from your room to the main building. The fitness and spa is separate from both also. And, the reception or check-in is separate from each of these. So for example, if I want to work out, I will have to carry a change of clothes to the fitness, or wear my shorts in winter temperatures. Worse, if I want to swim or hot tub, afterward I will be walking outside back to my room. Not just into a main building and back up to a room. But walk across the resort outside back to your room. From the main lodge, the ski-out area is downstairs, then walk across the underground parking garage, then downstairs again to the locker room area. On my last day, to check out at noon and still ski, I came in from skiing, got my suitcase, walked it to the reception where the luggage storage was, then walked back to the main lodge and out to ski.

Location on the mountain at Deer Valley is fantastic. This is the best aspect of SE. You are right next too Silver Lake Lodge, and right around the corner from the lifts to the back mountains. Very convenient.

Rooms are okay but somewhat dated and frumpy feeling. Like from a past skiing era. Not terrible but certainly nothing 5 star and more like 3 or 3.5 star rooms. To get to my room, I went up a flight of stairs with old carpet on the stairs, then through two doors, then to my room. I did like the large bathroom and large soaking tub.

I ate at the Glitritind for dinner one night, service was good, food was good, but neither were exceptional.

Overall, Stein was nice, but for the price, it is not even remotely close to the luxury and service of the Montage or St. Regis which are also in Deer Valley. Simply enter either one of these hotel lobbies and you will see for yourself. If the SE was half its price, I'd happily go. But for the prices they were charging in my view it is way over-priced.

Room Tip: I might suggest a room in the main lodge itself. There are only a few.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris D
DBullert, General Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Stein Eriksen Lodge for your return trip to Deer Valley. I’m sorry you did not find the property layout conducive to your expectations. Stein Eriksen Lodge was built to represent a unique personality within Mountain Resorts. Our traditional European charm is prominently found within our service philosophy in addition to our property design. Your compliments on the many positive aspects of the resort are greatly appreciated and I hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again in the future. I will reach out to you personally for further commentary.
Dan Bullert