“Definitely not 5 star”

Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Park City
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The hotel is fine, rooms are 4 star, nice views and hot tubs, but average bathrooms. The housekeeping and spa staff are great, but the rest of the staff has a lot of room for improvement. I called several times to request a second floor room, there are only two floors, but unfortunately I could not get a second floor room. Also, I received numerous billing errors, including several duplicate charges. I was repeatedly told by various staff who answered the phone that only a manager could fix the errors, however it took nearly a dozen calls to get through to the front desk manager. I never received a return call. When I did speak with her, there was no apology for the errors or for the lack of response, and guess what, the billing errors were still never corrected. I emailed her and again received no response and eventually had to resolve them through my credit card. Also, the hotel added tips on our bill, but did not inform us of this policy up front, so we ended up double tipping everyone. I haven't stayed there, but have heard St Regis is much better. There is another 5 star on the mountain as well. Stein Ericksen is definitely overrated.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 11Deborah
Dan F, VP & Managing Director at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Stein Eriksen Lodge. I am very disappointed to read that we failed to follow through on your room request and for not being able to handle your billing issues in a timely manner. We do make every effort to exceed our guests expectations and I apologize that we were not able to do so in your case. Should you decide to give us another opportunity in the future I would hope that you would contact me personally so that I can see to it that you have the experience you expect and deserve.

Dan Flick
VP & Managing Director

There are newer reviews for Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Steins offers one of the top best Sunday brunch buffets anywhere in the world. From magnificent seafood to several chefs standing by to prepare-on-demand the most scrumptious and delectable dishes, not just breakfast personified, but lunch/dinner dishes not to be found anywhere else. Seriously, I live in Heber and I'm not in the top 1%, but at least once a year I try to find a friend who enjoys spending three or so hours relishing this dining experience overlooking the ski resort and beautiful pine forests outside the vast windowscape. In the spring, after this dining extravaganza, it can be nice to walk around the decks, sit a while under the sun, take in the crisp fresh air. Living in the area, it is easy access for me as long as I have a reservation, but I can assure you, this will me a dining memory you'll never forget. As a favor, message me with any other fabulous Sunday brunches in the US, if, after trying Steins, you believe the other one matches the quality, service and selection. I would seriously plan a trip around a buffet like this one. Thanks!

Room Tip: Try to reserve a seat near the window. Call a week ahead to reserve.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Guy M, VP Marketing at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for patronizing our Sunday Brunch and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor. For a different experience this summer - please consider our Tues night "Hops on the Hill" . . . where we partner Utah's craft breweries with great food & live music. Hoping to welcome you back!
Kind regards,
Guy Morris
VP Marketing & Sales
Stein Eriksen Lodge Management Corporation

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We just spent the weekend at Stein with my family (6 adults and a 2 year old). I wish I could be taken care of like that in my daily life (as most people probably feel).

We were catered too the entire time we were there. Between our bags being delivered and car parked to the bellman having toys to give to my little boy while we checked in.

We ate the restaurant and I actually learned to ski for the first time as well. Each part of Stein that I went to and interacted with was a comfortable, clean, and luxurious treatment or experience.

The mountain was in excellent condition and the snow was perfect. There is not a better way to go sking than to walk away from your breakfast buffet and walk 20 ft. where you have your ski's prepared and ready for a day on the slopes

(I rented all of my gear and it was sized perfectly for a beginner like me)

Thanks for the weekend Stein. Can't wait for the summer activities.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the right side of the lodge when driving up you get to the view of the vall...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Lunch was delish. Service was exceptional. Cozy by the large fireplaces. Amazing Cocktails. Casual and comfy seating after an active day. Fresh Snow. Live music. Outdoor fire pits. The experience was lovely!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2014

There is no better! We will be back to Steins every year! As soon as we leave, the kids ask when we are going back... I think they may like it even more than Disneyland and that is saying a lot for a 10 year old and a 5 year old!

Before our arrival, Chef Zane called and talked to me about our dietary concerns as we are vegetarian and gluten-free. The food was amazing. The breakfast buffet is more than you could ever need/want. They even went out and got my kids gluten free pancake mix so they could have pancakes for breakfast, which was way above and beyond. We ate the same thing for lunch for the 4 days we were there and was completely happy about that as the soup and grilled cheese was yummy. But they have a huge buffet for lunch as well, and the desserts are killer! Dinner had enough options to keep us all happy and our tummies even happier! The restaurant staff is all very nice and remembered us day after day.

We had never skied before, and Stein Sport rented us everything we needed and was very helpful. They even helped with my son's GoPro that we bought elsewhere. All the gear was bought to the locker room for us so we didn't have to deal with it.

We love the ski valets! They would boot us up every morning and get our skis outside. We would meet the ski instructors right outside the door of the locker room and they would ski out. I love that it is mid-mountain as it is far less crowded than being at Deer Valley's snow park. When we would come in, they would take the boots off, dry them, bring in the skis and a hot cup of cocoa or apple cider was always waiting. Very personable and friendly. You can also buy your lift tickets right next to the locker rooms.

Our room was amazing! Fireplace and 2 cozy double beds. A hot tub on the private balcony. Huge bathroom and lots of closet space. I recommend asking for the rooms right by the front entrance because we were able to pull up in front of our room. Very helpful when you have a kid undressed of all the coats and boats and winter stuff. The sidewalks are heated so the little man was able to walk in his socks about 10 feet and go inside.

If you like luxury but would rather skip the stuffiness, this is the place to be. And if you are lucky enough to meet the official greeter, Stein himself, then that is just the icing on the cake! He is lovely!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stopped at the famous Stein Erickson Lodge for a drink and early snack. What a gem and fantastic pit stop to have available on the slopes. ONLY IN DEER VALLEY! We don't usually comment on snack items but the spiced mixed nuts were fabulous. And the warm pretzel was as good as they come. But the real coupe de gras was the one in a thousand chance to meet Mr. Erickson himself who was exceedingly gracious and allowed a photo opp when respectfully asked. This was a big deal for my friend whose father had the chance to ski with Mr. Erickson back in the 50s in Colorado. Just made our little stop a lifetime memory!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TNTATTHEBEACH
Reviewed 23 March 2014

After spending nearly $100 for some hot chocolate and pizza on the mountain, a $30 lunch buffet did not seem entirely unreasonable. The Stein Eriksen delivered in so many ways, we could not eat anywhere else after we went here. Rows of salad, fresh seafood, carving stations, desserts, pastas, sushi...you name it. There were so many healthy fresh choices that we didn't feel bad having 2nds and 3rds. Loved it! Our kids loved too!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Guy M, Public Relations Manager at Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Skil22:
Thank you for patronizing our lunch experience this ski season! The sharing of your comments is greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,