“This is one of the best B&B's we have ever stayed in and the breakfasts are wonderafully good.”
Review of Seven Wives Inn

Seven Wives Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 St. George B&B and Inns
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed in the cottage and our granddaughter and husband in a room. The accommodations are very good and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stay almost exclusively at B & B's because we like the extra TLC, the homey touch that the proprietor provides. The Seven Wives Inn is an interesting old building. A touch run down, but with a nice feel of having stepped back in time.

But the Inn does not provide the TLC that we expect from a B & B. We were never greeted by anyone. We were checked in by a young woman who appeared not to know her way around the place and couldn't answer basic questions like where to dine.

The breakfast was excellent, but again was served by what appeared to be staff rather than the owner.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Iambic
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Beautifull house in a very quiet street. Welcoming and helpfull staff. Rooms (ours and the others we checked) are magnificently decorated in old fashioned style. The breakfast varies from day to day and was very tasty. The little pool allowed the kids to cool off after nice day hiking in Zion.
Only negative remark we have is the placement of the airco units just below the master bedroom window of the lovely Amanda suite. Inn-keeper switched off the airco's to limit the noise on our request. This left the room a little warm to sleep. Our recommendations, stay at Seven Wives for sure, but not in the Amanda suite.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Stayed here In October for 2 nights. Very comfortable bed, quiet neighbourhood, marvellous breakfasts made especially for you. Utah's first B&B now has young energetic owners.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 24 May 2009

We booked the Julia room for one night because the room boasted a whirlpool tub. The room itself was nice enough (just a little shabby around the edges) and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast foods are yummy, although limited. However, the whirlpool tub was a big let-down. The tub drain wouldn't stay closed so the water leaked out at a quick rate, necessitating frequent refills. And when I turned on the jets a big dead bug came whooshing out of the jets and swirling around in the water with me!!! YUCK! That ruined the experience for me and I immediately got out of the tub. I paid extra for the special tub and couldn't enjoy it. I told the young woman on staff about all the troubles when we checked out and she just said sorry, that's all news to me, and thanks for letting me know. She didn't offer to refund the extra cost for the whirlpool room vice a regular room or anything in the way of compensation. So we won't stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank empressjulia
7inn, Owner at Seven Wives Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2009
We apologize for the drain not working efficiently, it has been looked into and repaired. Our staff takes pride in the cleanliness of our Inn. All tubs w/jets are bleached after each use.

Vanessa
Owner/Innkeeper
surrey, british columbia
Reviewed 24 May 2009

Consisting of two neighbouring houses and a cottage in the Historic District of Saint George, Utah is the “Seven Wives Inn”. The two main houses were apparently built in 1873 and 1883 respectively, and are on the Historic American Buildings Survey. As the story goes, the 1873 house was built and used by a local Judge in the 19th century to hide polygamists after the United States Government outlawed the practice. As a point of interest, not only does Saint George have some of the best golfing in the entire south western United States, but it is just a short drive from Saint George to Colorado City, Arizona, if you’re interested in seeing some modern day polygamists! But I digress...

I booked my room at Seven Wives Inn via telephone five days prior to my trip (after viewing TripAdvisor and the Seven Wives Inn website). When I mentioned to that the purpose of my trip was to relax and play some golf, the Seven Wives Inn offered to pre-arrange my golf for me. I provided a list of the five courses I was interested in playing to Seven Wives Inn via e-mail. Seven Wives Inn then contacted the golf courses I was interested in playing, made my tee times for me, e-mailed me my schedule (with tee times booked in advance for me as a single!) and I received discounted green fees on all five of the excellent golf courses that I played!

My check in at 4 pm on May 18, 2009 went smoothly, albeit without much fanfare or excitement. Drew, the young man who checked me in, was straightforward and matter of fact in his dealings with me. No tour of the residence or grounds; just pay in advance for the room, here’s your key, and what time do you want breakfast in the morning? By the way, my six nights broke down as follows: $125 the first night, $70 for each of nights 2 through 4, and $135 for each of my final two nights (a Friday and Saturday).

I was given the room named “Lucinda” for my 6 night stay. Located just off the main foyer and communal dining room, Lucinda is a large room (I measured the room to be approximately 21 feet by 16 feet, not including the washroom and closet areas) featuring a king size bed, historic furnishings, a small 19 inch old style television (with satellite reception!), a small washroom with a basic tub and shower, and a second door with direct access to the backyard area. The ten foot ceilings added to the grandeur of the room. I note that the hardwood flooring is, for the most part, covered by carpet and the lock on the outside door access to Lucinda was broken, so despite the website advertising a private entry to Lucinda, there in fact was no private entry way for me. Other than the fact Lucinda needs two new doors with better (or at least working) locking systems, the room is nice and what one would expect in an old historic home.

Each day you get to select one of three breakfast meals, with the choices changing daily (you make your selection the day before by filling out a written form and handing it to the kitchen). I have no complaints about the breakfasts. They were yummy and the food service by Vanessa was excellent.

With a total of 13 guest rooms in three buildings to maintain at Seven Wives Inn, the cost and logistics of running the inn must be significant. I was impressed by how serene the location is, given the significant size of the operation. I noticed a man working on the grounds daily. I know the kitchen crew were busy every day getting meals ready, and the rooms are clean and well taken care of. Yet my privacy was respected and I never felt intruded upon by the staff or other guests.

Seven Wives Inn has a very small swimming pool with lounge chairs, a shaded sitting patio area in the front of the house (several rooms appear to have private balconies) and as mentioned above, well manicured grounds. The street is quiet and uneventful (yet only a block and a half to Saint George Boulevard). During my six night stay, I noticed that the guests varied from senior citizens, to people in their 40s (like me), to couples in their 20s with small child in tow. And I must admit, after four or five nights at Seven Wives Inn, the place really started to grow on me.

Pros:

1. Good location in a quiet historic neighbourhood. Seven Wives Inn is located kitty corner from the historic Brigham Young Winter Residence and as long as it is not too hot outside, you can walk to all the historic sites.

2. Satellite television was a nice touch.

3. Free wireless internet (I received excellent reception in Lucinda).

4. Very quiet at night.

5. King size bed.

6. Excellent breakfasts served daily with a smile.

7. Lots of parking.

8. Arranged my golf in advance, with discounted green fees! Note: green fees were $41 (Sunbrook), $43 (Sand Hollow), $49 (Sky Mountain), $65 (The Ledges) and $85 (Coral Canyon). Better golf than in Las Vegas at a half or even a third of Las Vegas prices (where $125 to $500 per round is the going rate).

Cons:

1. Given how large Lucinda is, the small 19 inch television needs to be replaced. I appreciate that you’re not in Saint George to watch television, but Saint George is dead at night and so a modern 42 inch plasma television would come in handy.

2. The tub/shower in Lucinda is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. There was a hanging flower pot above the shower head, which I had to remove in order to stand for the shower. Weird!? And the shower curtain hangs like a cocoon. When actually in the shower, the curtain touches your body and there is little room to manoeuvre. Creepy, in an old house sort of way. I cannot help but think that there must be a better way to organize the bath/shower, without compromising the integrity of the historic aspects of the washroom.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, I have no hesitation recommending Seven Wives Inn as a place to stay in Saint George, Utah. I have not stayed at any other Saint George area Bed and Breakfasts, so I cannot compare Seven Wives Inn to their competition (I note that the two mansions across the street from Seven Wives Inn are also Bed and Breakfasts – albeit one of them has a “For Sale” sign in the front yard). All in all, I had six pleasant sleeps, several excellent breakfasts, and an enjoyable time while staying at Seven Wives Inn.

On a scale of 1 to 10 -- where 10 is the highest score possible – I give the Seven Wives Inn an 8. The owners of Seven Wives Inn have made the most of their little inn in Saint George, and they are to be commended on a job well done! I highly recommend the Seven Wives Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank David P
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We loved the jacuzzi tub, the great staff, and the ability to walk to restaurants and other historic areas nearby - it was so quiet you just drifted off to sleep at night. We will be back - B&B's are our only choices.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple