“Great location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. George
Quicksand and Cactus Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 9 St. George B&B and Inns
“Great location”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This very nice home is well located in St George. I'd been here previously to run the marathon, but had little recollection of the town, and no expectations for the area that we'd be staying. So I was happy to find this B&B to be so close to downtown and convenient to the rest of the city.

We stayed in Bedroom 3. It was nice to be somewhat detached from the main home. Felt like you were in your own little place. There is a sitting area downstairs, along with the bathroom, and you go upstairs to the bed. To be very honest, it wasn't our most restful sleep, only because the wall heating units (both upstairs and down) rattled kind of badly. The tub was also a bit unusual in that you couldn't really take a bath, but it wasn't really a shower either. So you just kind of hosed yourself down. I didn't mind that for one night, but it might have been inconvenient for multiple nights.

The breakfast was quite good. Carla is an excellent cook who served up a great spread for us.

All in all, a nice break for us from the standard hotels that we stayed out during the rest of our NV/UT vacation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kcboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I traveled to St George to run in the St George marathon in October. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this wonderful B & B. I had only stayed at one other B & B in Michigan and that was a long time ago so I wasn't too sure how it would work out. The inn keeper Carla was a delight to deal with. She definitely has a passion for her home. Carla was so accommodating during out stay. We stayed Friday and Saturday night. I only was able to take advantage of breakfast on Sunday morning but all I can say is WOW! It was such a wonderful breakfast. The room we stayed in was room #3. It had a couch on the main floor and up the stairs we had a large bed. The bathroom was spacious but only has a tub. It was fine for me as it felt good to take a soak after running 26.2 miles. The location is fabulous. Its walking distance to a lot of nice shopping and eating. We ate at a nice thai restaurant just down the street. It was so nice not having to deal with all the hotel crowds. It was a peaceful trip and I have Carla to thank for that. If I go through St George again I will for sure stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John L
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed ten nights at this B&B. Yes...ten wonderful days, and I will return.
During my visit, a book from Carla's library called 'Quicksand and Cactus' was borrowed. Since I failed to finish reading this book, this gives me another reason to return.
My favourite time always happened in the early morning. I would walk the stone pathway to the main house and Carla always had a wonderful cup of coffee ready for me. But Carla's morning smile was the best part. Oh yes...I will return to this wonderful experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Catherine S
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I needed a place to stay in St. George that was quiet and comfortable and I found that and more here! Quicksand & Cactus B&B sits back off the main highway in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of the St George Art Museum, Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum, Brigham Young winter home historical site, Pioneer Park, fabulous restaurants and much more - but without the traffic noise! Even the neighbors walking in the evening were pleasant, greeting us like old friends. Owner and host Carla is delightful! She is warm and accommodating, has created a comfortable environment to live and sleep in, and fixes scrumptious breakfasts to fuel us for the day. I felt like family from the moment I walked in and saw her extend that same gracious demeanor with everyone who entered the door. It's my go-to place from now on! Thanks Carla!

Room Tip: My stay was in Bedroom 1 but all the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ReikiLinda
Las Vegas
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were looking for a place to stay while we went to see some plays at Tuacahn with our grandson. Our favorite type of accomodation is a bed & breakfast whenever possible, so I went online & discovered the Quicksand & Cactus Bed & Breakfast right in the heart of St. George.

We arrived on Friday afternoon to find a very pleasant older home that had been beautifully renovated. Our host Carla Fox welcomed us with a big smile & made us feel right at home. It was a very comfortable room with an adjoining room for our grandson. We thoroughly enjoyed staying there & can I just say that our breakfasts were absolutely phenomenal!! Carla outdid herself in the kitchen & when a 12 year old raves about the food...you know it's terrific!!

Carla has created a beatiful retreat that is small & intimate, but close to everything of interest in the area. Tuacahn was only about a 15 minute drive away & I might add the plays were just outstanding! Another plus was that the rates were very reasonable & even if there were no breakfast included it would have been a great deal. However, adding in the delicious food was just like yummy frosting on a very attractive cake. Kudos to you Carla for a wonderful experience...we will be back!!

Room Tip: This is a small bed & breakfast so not a lot of rooms available...don't wait until the last...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lascallady
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 March 2013

What a fabulous Bed & Breakfast! My husband and I had a wonderful stay in this beautiful historic home. It's so comfortable and cozy that we felt right at home. Carla is an incredibly gracious and thoughtful hostess. Her gourmet breakfast is positively delicious. Great location, within walking distance of St. George's downtown attractions. Rates are unbelievably reasonable. The home has a fascinating history and beautiful gardens. We really enjoyed our stay & will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BouvOnTheMove
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I was attracted to Quicksand and Cactus B&B because it was the former home of well-known Utah author Juanita Brooks. My husband and I fell in love with the place because of the warm, friendly demeanor of Carla, our host, her delicious breakfasts, and the beautifully-decorated home. We stayed in the room that had served as the original home, and it is located just off to the side of the main living area. Carla has lots of books and information about Utah history in her home, and the entire house is decorated with Victorian era pictures, decorations, etc. Her breakfasts were delicious, and when she found out we (and several other guests) were "foodies", she tried out a couple of new recipes on us! We stayed there several days, using St George as our home port while exploring Zion, the Mountain Meadows Massacre site, and the Hildale/Colorado City area made famous by Warren Jeffs and his FLDS followers.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, but when I tried to correct my mistake (I was giving the place all positi...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple