“Great space”
Review of Dixie Palms Motel

Dixie Palms Motel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed in the family suite for 2 nights. Three full-sized bedrooms plus full kitchen and bath. It was not fancy but it definitely met our needs. We would definitely stay again should we return to St. George.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KansasFam1995
Management65, Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2014

Dear Guest,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Dixie Palm Motel. The family suite is one of my favorites because it is a lot roomier and more like a mini apartment than a hotel room. We hope to see you again if you ever return to the St. George area.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were excited for our 3-night stay and had appropriate expectations based on TA reviews. Check-in went fine; Jeff and his wife had just had a baby but he was friendly and helpful though he must have been tired. Our room was 209, two queen beds kitty-cornered on opposite walls. It was very stale and musty-smelling, so I asked for a different room. 207 smelled the same and the “apartment” smelled much worse--mildewy and sour like standing water, overlaid with cleaning supply odors. Jeff was obviously trying to make things right and offered to let us leave the following day without a cancellation fee if we wished. We went back to 209.

I want to give it a higher rating...I really do. I wish I could do separate ratings for management and the facility. Here are the pluses: it's obvious that the managers and owners care about the motel and their customers. They aren't trying to fleece anyone--the price can't be beat--$25-55. Everything cosmetically possible has been done: fairly stylish furnishings without dings, etc. A newly recovered large bench and wing chair. Newer, clean carpet. Thick curtains to block light; inner curtains for privacy. Good-sized rooms despite odd layout. Walls and doors were very well painted with “current” colors. Microwave and fridge seemed fairly new and worked well. A stocked coffee machine. It was clean (except for the front window sill), especially the bathroom. The bedspread had a small stain, but solid beige shows EVERYTHING, no matter how much you wash it. Beds were surprisingly comfortable—we slept well until screaming neighbors arrived. Large, quality towels were plentiful and decent quality linens. Shampoo and soap provided. Water pressure was only adequate but plenty of hot water. A new pedestal sink and a newer water-saver toilet. The interior of the shower had been sealed and well painted. A chair outside the front door to sit on and a glider and more chairs in a little covered patio (available for smokers). It's quiet (usually) and the area feels safe. Parking isn't a problem. There's a free newspaper in the office. A friendly maid quickly provided needed supplies. In the end, the low price, good managers, the obvious attempts to update it and the fact that the smell abated somewhat convinced us to stay.

I'm reluctant to lower the rating based on something management can't control, which is why I've been so detailed about the positives. But the fact is: despite the pluses, THE BUILDING IS JUST TOO OLD. Look at TA pictures of the parking lot, where cracks have been sealed but still show. The same is true of the building. The TA pictures don't show that it smells old and musty; showers are deep and narrow with no light and a shower head too low for most men; thin walls let in noisy neighbors; the small window AC unit can BARELY keep up and has to run 24 hours a day just to keep the room around 75 (so no airing out the room); the foundation is SEVERELY cracked and the room floor is uneven, so walking barefoot is uncomfortable--you can actually stub your toe or trip!; there are cracks in the windowsill, the plaster walls and the popcorn ceiling; walls and the door don't quite line up so it's hard to slide the deadbolt; there is a crack in the exterior brick wall. The building is slowly breaking apart, literally; it's on a slope and maybe it's slowly sliding down the hill.

My boyfriend said, “How can TA users give this a 4 or 5 star rating? There is no way this merits such a great overall review—the building is old and dingy and obviously has issues. New paint and furniture can't fix that.” And I have to agree, even though I don't want to. An A+ to management for trying, but I'm sorry to say that the building is just too dang old to carry it off. If these things don't bother you, you will be fine here. But we won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure to check the room before accepting it and be aware that if you have noisy neighbors, you w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccehawkins

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of the Dixie Palm Motel. If found your review quite accurate although I honestly can say that I did not notice any strange smells in your room when we were trying to find you a replacement room. Perhaps my nose is less sensitive? I am sorry that the smell in the room was bothersome to you and i'm also sorry that your neighbors were loud and disruptive. It is true, when you visit St. George in the summertime, the AC will be running all day/night to keep up with the 100 degree heat. Our property is quite old (originally built in the 40's) but I can say that we do keep it very clean and as nice as possible. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Have a great day!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Some howe they misplaced our reservation (made in april). During the checkin we also asked for an upgrade. For 44$ for 1 night (5$ extra) we now stayed in a four room suite. Full option kitchen where we could cook our meal. Large fridge was available. Reception was friendly and helpfull.
The entire complex had something special. A good vibe maybe.
Unfortunately no pool, which with 101 degrees could be refreshing.
Also the cleaning was not very good. Cabinets were greasy as well as fungussy bathroom.
But value for money was great!

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank KramerremarK

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at the Dixie Palm Motel. I will make a note to have our housekeeping deep-clean in the kitchen and bathroom areas of the room you stayed in. Thank you for letting us know that was an issue. We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us.
Sincerely, management

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The room was clean and cool! The ac worked great. We were stuck in town for a breakdown and had a reference for this place. In great walking distance to shops and the center of town. Found a bunch of stuff to do and they even had movie times available.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cheripunt

Dear Guest,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Dixie Palm Motel. We would love to see you again if you ever return to the St. George area. Thank you for leaving a review!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'm on a road-trip, and St. George was a stop along the way, just to sleep for one night and continue onto the next destination. So, I wasn't interested in investing in lodging. Sad to say, it feels like a risk when something is reasonably priced; but, wow, was I pleasantly surprised. Clean, fridge to store my perishables, coffee for the AM, and COMFORTABLE -- bed, AC, quiet...I couldn't have asked for a better deal. I do a lot of road-tripping and Southwest camping, and I would stay here again for a stopover. The "hamiltonbergen" and "christopherWinnipeg" reviews were what made me book my stay, and I concur.

Room Tip: My room was 209, so it was off the street and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank LosAngelesMoe

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting a review of your experience at the Dixie Palm Motel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you next time you are traveling through the St. George area. Sincerely, Management

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Older family run motel in downtown St. George. Clean and well kept. Very quiet with helpful staff. Electronic appliances and fridge were quite modern. No breakfast offered but this is not an issues since there are numerous restaurants, shops and all other services located in the immediate downtown area .Rating based on a 2 night stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank hamiltonbergen
Management65, Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for reviewing the Dixie Palm Motel! We appreciate any and all feedback. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to see you again if you ever return to the St. George area! Sincerely, Management

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The bathroom was not clean. There was hair and an empty wrapper on the floor. The bedroom was ok and the bed was comfortable. The price was right and I would have been satisified if it was clean. Will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gene A
Management65, Manager at Dixie Palms Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

I'm sorry about the negative experience you had at our Motel. We are brand new at this job and so it is very helpful, especially at this point, for us to receive feedback on areas we can improve. We will do our best in the future to ensure that the bathroom floors have been thoroughly cleaned and that others do not have the same negative experience.