“Was good before, not today”
Review of Piccolo Mondo - CLOSED

Piccolo Mondo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This restaurant has been open for only two months, it is Southern Italian, the chef is Italian. It's the BEST italian restaurant in Southern Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have been here several times and always loved the food. Tonight we ordered the "special" Eggplant Chicken Parmesan- it was what you would expect to get at Dennys. To top it off the cost was $28.00. Everything else on the menu is in the $12-16 range so I didn't think to ask the price since chicken dishes are typically the cheapest. I felt the chef was using his "specials" to gouge customers and did not appreciate it. I still think this is a great place to eat and the gorgonzola salad was great as usual, but tonight they really let me down. My chicken was way overcooked and I was not surprised. Chef spends too much time visiting with the customers and not enough time in the kitchen. Mi Dispiace stasera.

3  Thank ulebwise

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Best choice for St. George. (Don't expect big city cuisine in St. George!) Quiet atmosphere, casual dining, well prepared food. Friendly staff. Decent limited wines by the glass, reasonably priced. Bring your own if looking for high end expensive wines. Very personable Chef comes to each table to talk. We will come back again!

1  Thank saltblock
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The food is authentic Italian food-- as good as when I visited Italy and better than most all other Italian restaurants in other US cities. Note-- during the summer they are only open for dinner, not lunch. It is located in a business building on Main street, down the street from Ancestor Square. Easy to find.
I ate here two nights on a recent trip to St. George. The first night I had meatballs and spaghetti at the recommendation of the server. The meatballs are huge-- tennis ball size or larger. Very tasty. Too much thin spaghetti; sauce was flavorful. Second night I ordered Gnocchetti Alla Piemontese. It was melt in your mouth amazing. I also ate a spinach salad- definitely large enough to share; there was a little too much dressing on it for my liking. The bread served is a toasted foccacia. The first night is was really hard-- hurt your mouth hard unless you soak it in your marinara or the olive oil/balsamic vinegar plate. The second night it was much softer and it had onion on it. Hum... Different, but good.
The service was excellent. The place wasn't too crowed, so I don't know that reservations are necessary. The owner comes out and talks to you-- I really like this.

2  Thank TheProf06
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We've eaten at Piccolo Mondo two times now and both times the food was excellent and service was great. Owner/chef comes out and talks to the tables and makes you feel welcomed.

3  Thank travelfor2and2
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I agree with David's review except I wish I would have read his before we went this evening. I checked Yelp and TripAdvisor and good things were said.

Now first off this is Italian food and what Italian restaurant doesn't have bottles of wine? The only white was a chardonnay (yuck) and 3 different reds. If we wanted "the" bottle of red it was from Spain and was $40. Otherwise the other reds were by the glass. I asked for the driest red and silly me didn't ask how much it was. Found out it was $8/glass for their house red!!!!!!! We did notice that a couple that came in after us brought their own bottle of wine. I'm guessing they were just charged a corkage fee. It would have been nice to know that one could do that. My husband was very disappointed there was no beer. He thought he'd try an Italian beer. The waiter told us they didn't have any "yet". No sure what that meant. ) and were informed that they had a special mussel appetizer for the evening. It was basically the same as what was on the menu but came with garlic and some toast points (3 small). Found out for the garlic and mussels they bumped the price to $16 from $14 (for an appetizer, really??) We both ordered the Veal Marsala, which was excellent but way to big a serving. I commented that we should have split the plate because not only did I not finish the veal, I never touched one vegetable on my plate. Way to full. But I see that David commented there was no "sharing entrees"

This could be a really nice Italian restaurant if they expanded their wine list and also offered beer. Cut down the portion sizes and reduce the price accordingly.

3  Thank S0NIAB