“An Amazing Bargain!”

Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in St. George
Wood River, Illinois, United States
“An Amazing Bargain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

After an exhausting, hot day at Zion National Park we needed a place to crash for the evening before continuing on to Southern California. We chose the Chalet Motel because it was affordable and ranked high on the Trip Avisor list for St. George. The motel did not let us down. At $45 + tax for double occupancy, it was certainly the cheapest place we stayed at during our extended cross-country road trip; however, the room quality was on par with many pricier establishments. The room was attractive with cherry furniture throughout and very clean. The innkeeper was nice and helpful at check-in making suggestions of things to do around St. George. There were a couple negatives to this property worth noting. Our room was very hot when we entered and it took a while for the aging AC unit to cool it down. Also, the blinds on the window didn't do a good job blocking out the light filtering in from the outside. Despite these minor blemishes, I still awarded this motel an excellent rating because the overall value was so impressive and our overnight stay was hassle-free. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Anthony M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

The room was spacious (1 Queen Bed, full size kitchen with dinette, separate bath), very clean, comfortable, and quiet. This mom and pop motel was a pleasure to stay in. The owners take the time to get to know you. I think it's a combination of just being friendly and also knowing who is staying on the property. The location is great, near restaurants, gas stations, and stores. The outlet mall is 1/2 mile away. Like other posters have said, it does look a little sketch from the outside and the decor is definitely late 80s early 90s. The TV in my room was a tube set and I would recommend upgrading them all to HDTVs which are very affordable these days. But overall, this is a great find when staying in Southern Utah.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank eurotraveler032003
Boxtel, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

We were traveling from Page to Las Vegas and were looking for a motel which was more or less in the middle. On tripadvisor we found this motel and we were not sure if this was a good or bad motel because it only had a few ratings at that time.

When we arrive the Innkeepers (Ruben and Sharon Connor) were very friendly and welcoming. After our conversation with them we went to the room and were amazed that they could offer such nice rooms for so low rates. The room was spacious, clean and well equipped with appliances. The bathroom was also clean.

We've seen a lot of motels during our 4 weeks trip in the USA but this was really one of the best and by far the best value for money. Too bad we were only staying for 1 night.

Thank you Ruben and Sharon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Patrick_987
Malad City, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

We have had the opportunity when on business/pleasure travel to stay twice in the last 3 months, at the Chalet Motel in St. George, UT. It is a small mom and pop run hotel, but the rooms are clean and comfortable and they are always appreciative of your visit. This last time we stayed in April, we were on the way home from a trip to California. We came in tired and in need of a good nights rest, and they went out of their way to accommodate us with their best room. The prices are affordable and the rooms have fridges, which comes in handy for a family traveling with kids. Our last room there had a very nice little kitchenette, and comfortable beds. Our room was also very quiet and we had a great nights rest. There are also many restaurants and fast food places nearby, many within a short walk. We're two for two now, so this hotel will be our stopping place when we travel through that area.

Room Tip: Ask if one of the new rooms is available. But if not, the other rooms are also very clean and comfor...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Marla S
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

What a surprise this little gem is! First, know that the Chalet used to have a sketchy reputation, but it's under new management and definitely worth checking out. Driving past, you might be think of this as an older motel with not much to offer. Wrong! The interiors are beautiful! No smoking in any room, so it smells great. The mom & pop who run it are very friendly and helpful. My husband found the Chalet while working in St. George. He couldn't find a room anywhere else, and went there instead. He's stayed there on his own many times, and the managers know him by name. I've stayed there with him a few times, and they know me, now, too. You'll not find a cheaper place to stay in St. George, and the rooms are so pretty! The whole place is furnished more like an apartment than a motel.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have a nice kitchenette. Upstairs rooms don't.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank C O
Draper, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed at Chalet Motel with my 3 year old. After seeing my pet, the innkeeper let me know they do not allow pets in the rooms. After paying for my room I assured the innkeeper that my pet would be sleeping in the car which she has done before and she would not bark or be in the room at all. We were tired and would only be there a short while to sleep. I parked my vehicle closest to the office. We were struggling to sleep as there was a lot of banging, noise and the light blared in through the blinds, the fan was extremely loud, there are no curtains and the beds are uncomfortable as well. My three year old finally fell to sleep and I was drifting when the manager/owner came banging loudly at my door (it was almost midnight). I was startled. He asked where my vehicle was and said there were not any dogs in any vehicles as he had looked. I was shaking and very frightened . I am less than 100 lbs. a single mom traveling with my little one and no one else was around- not to mention it being in the middle of the night and we were traveling out of less than ideal circumstances. I took him to my car and he pointed his flashlight on my shivering little dog sitting on her blanket in the back seat. He stormed off, not saying a word. I was left to deal with my own fright and my little one awake and scared as well. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the owner the next morning as I returned my room key. While she apologized for her husbands rude behavior, she was adamant that her mistake was that she had allowed me to stay when they had a strict "no pets" policy. Wow, interestingly enough my pet hadn't stayed there. I was a paying customer who deserved a refund at the very least, an apology from her husband and acknowledgement from her for her part. To say we desperately needed a good nights sleep free from abuse and unkind people would be an understatement. That is certainly not what we experienced. They display a photo of Jesus Christ on their front counter. It was clean though. I'm sure he's very impressed.

Room Tip: My tip would be to stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank simplyb12
Hailey, ID
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and 2 children stayed here in late March 2012. Rented the room with 3 queen beds. It was clean, quiet and $55 --perfect.

Found it on Tripadvisor---thanks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family