“horrible and atrocious”

Comfort Inn at Convention Center
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in St. George
Reviewed 23 May 2011

the housekeepers or someone with access to our rooms stole my daughter's ipod and two other patrons on the third floor had an ipad and itouch stolen the same day. the manager did nothing about it. keep your stuff safe in your car...in the parking lot...that way at least your alarm will go off. better yet, stay at a better and safer hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank camille009

Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed with our extended family over spring break and the hotel looked nice. The free breakfast was good. The hotel was clean. The only down fall was the mattresses. I am mid thirties and the beds were so uncomfortable I was in pain. My teenage daughter complained of back pain. Her bed was so poor that the mattress caved in. In my parents room the mattresses were no better. If you have a strong back then this hotel is fine but if you have any back problems at all, choose somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank goingonavacation
Reviewed 26 March 2011

For what it's worth my wife said she'd give it 2 stars then she said 2.5 stars "maybe". I asked why. "It stinks?" followed by "bed from hell? Worst I've ever slept on?" Overall I agree. So my review:

1) "It stinks" - not in a nasty, old, rotting/smoke/pee way but like they use the worst possible concoction of cleaning chemicals - the hotel is spotless clean and new/newer. Can't quite put your finger on the smell but it's pervasive (not much in the rooms thank goodness) and bad.

2) "Bed from hell" - to me I've had worse but not my wife. Certainly not real comfortable beds. Wife said she wanted to get up at 5:30AM just to no longer sleep.

3) Good effort, but... - each interaction we had with the staff wasn't bad, but let some to be desired. Zombie'esk, slow to smile, bleh .... that sort. Unimpressive in a competitive world where you see stars shine. The manager, bless his heart, really tries: dresses to the nines, is out "working the crowd" at breakfast, but ah therein is the problem. He introduces himself to everyone while they eat breakfast, asks about their stay, this is wonderful behavior. But not while somebody is eating breakfast with food in their mouth etc! And certainly don't ever extend your hand to shake hands while somebody is eating. My wife was grossed out. She saw other people who looked bugged as well. Knuckles anyone?

4) Spotless clean, good location, sub-par continental breakfast (less variety than most we've been at for the price), no "hassles "

Overall good effort but we'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Matki7024
Reviewed 7 October 2010

When booking I noticed that the hotel was newer and I thought that not much can go wrong with a new place... we were expecting very basic rooms and your run-of-the-mill economy hotel. When we got there, we were able to check in a bit early and our room was very spacious and clean. The bathrooms were emaculate and the bed nice and soft. We had our baby with us and they provided a pack and play and the pool area was great too. maybe a bit more shade though for such a hot place! anyways it made for a great start to our vacation to Zion National Park

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We stayed at this hotel on Sept 1st using our Choice Privileges points. We had a nice big room and whole property was very nice. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It was close to I-15 and easy to find.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2010

My family and I stayed at the Comfort Inn on Riverside Drive for two nights. We normally don’t stay at Comfort Inn Hotels and prefer Marriott or Hilton properties but the hotel was a pleasant surprise, as it was clean, new, and modern. The hotel is located off of I-15 North and Exit 6, which is very easy to find. Also there are many restaurants in the area.

We were assigned Rooms #143 (two queens with a few of the parking lot) and #142 (one king with sofa facing swimming pool). For the most part, the rooms were quiet, though in Room #143 we could hear the loud TV from the person in the room above us. For Room #142 with the swimming pool view, a table and chair set was next to the window with swimmers talking loudly later in the evening.

The hotel is 100% smoke free. A crib can be rented for $5 per night, and a rollaway bed for $10 per night. I had absolutely no problem using the Internet – in fact, there were two laptops in our room and both of us easily accessed the web.

The rooms themselves were actually very large – much larger than normal. However, the bathroom was disappointingly small and a lack of towel racks – no hook on the back of the door. I noted that the water at the hotel is “hard” or the soap given to guests does not contain moisturizers. I had a white, ashy type film on my body, particularly on my nails.

Each room had a small refrigerator, small microwave, and small coffee maker. There is a coin operated laundry on the first floor with two washing machines ($1.00 per wash) and two dryers. I did not see any laundry detergent for sale, but it is possible it is at the front desk. Also, the Fitness Center was on the first floor with four machines in the room.

The layout of the hotel is an “L” shape, making it easy for guests to access from all entrances. The hotel has three stories. Hallways are wide, and there are several ice machines and vending machines in convenient areas.

I arrived in the breakfast area at 7:00 a.m. Even though it was busy, it was well stocked. Items served include: whole apples and whole oranges, English muffins, mini muffins, bagels, toast, four types of dry cereal with milk, sliced cheese, sliced ham, hot eggs, hot bacon, oatmeal, yogurt, salsa, a waffle maker, coffee, a machine with original and French vanilla cappuccino and hot chocolate, and a juice machine with orange, apple, cranberry and raspberry lemonade juices. There is also butter, peanut butter, honey, and other condiments. Though the dining room capacity is listed as 360, there were not that many chairs and tables in the room. There are several types of newspapers available for reading outside the dining room and two televisions inside. At least three staff members were working to keep things well stocked.

When checking out, the hotel advised that their computers had a glitch and added an extra night to all rooms. However, staff was on the ball and rectified the problem immediately.

At the time of this writing, this hotel was listed #22 out of 43. The hotel offers good amenities and a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank VegasBling
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Perhaps we had bad luck, but I have a laundry list of complaints about this hotel.

My brother and I were looking for a place to stay for one night on a weekend en route to Zion National Park. We researched and called a few other hotels before settling on the Comfort Inn at Convention Center due to have rooms available at reasonable rates, considering that the hotel looked relatively new and attractive and had decent reviews. My impression of this establishment went downhill from there.

I called the same day and made a reservation. Twice during the call, I was put on hold for a few minutes. During the reservation process, I had to repeat my credit card number twice to the receptionist as she did not get it correctly the first time. These items were not unacceptable, but a bit unusual, and certainly a foreshadowing of what was to come.

Upon check-in, the front desk staff was very perfunctory and disinterested at best (I was prepared for this, for an earlier reviewer also experienced this.). As we were carting our luggage to our room, we noticed several somewhat dysfunctional-looking young males roaming the halls. One of them asked my brother if there were any "hotties" around. He was offended by this distasteful inquiry. Upon entering our non-smoking room, we were greeted by the smell of smoke as though a previous guest had smoked in it. We did not complain as the odor was not overly offensive.

The sound insulation was inadequate, as we could hear the guests in the room next to ours (naturally, they were somewhat dysfunctional young males). They obviously made little attempt to keep quiet as we could hear what they were saying as well as their too-loud TV. The fact their room and ours were adjoining rooms (with a direct doorway) probably didn't help the noise situation.

The complimentary breakfast was itself a story. My brother arrived at the breakfast area about 45 minutes before closing and was greeted by a line of guests that extended outside of the breakfast area. The guests were, apparently, waiting for replenishment of items that had run out. I arrived at breakfast about 15 minutes before closing and noticed that the English muffins had already been depleted. As I moved through the line, the lady ahead of me apologized for the tiny amount of scrambled eggs still left in the serving dish for me after she scooped up a king-sized portion for herself. The cold juice lineup was typical for a hotel breakfast with the exception that they were warm - not room temperature, but actually WARM (and, hence, unappetizing). This was also the first time I have ever seen a tip jar at a hotel breakfast. I found that to be quite tacky.

A few minutes before breakfast closed, I returned to the breakfast bar to take a second look at the cereals that I had passed up on my first run through. This time, the cabinet-like doors in front of the cereal were closed. I opened them to take a look, a motion that prompted one of the breakfast staff to tell me "It's closed; the cereal's already been cleaned." Perhaps I was overstepping my place by opening the doors to the cereal, but I know that the staff at many hotels would be trained to graciously suggest that I help myself to the cereal and re-clean it later, if necessary.

I also find it a courtesy for hotel breakfast staff to inform guests sitting in the eating area at the end of breakfast that they are about to pull the food and ask them if they need anything additional. Needless to say, this was not practiced here.

After breakfast, we returned to our room to prepare for our departure. About 10 minutes before check-out time (or 70 minutes, depending on which sign in the room indicated the correct check-out time), we received a knock on our door by a hardly English-speaking male Latino housekeeping employee who reminded us that checkout time was in ten minutes. This was despite the fact that we had the "Do Not Disturb" tag on our door.

Upon checkout, I was surprised to see the same front desk staff that checked us in the night before. They were also no less abrupt. My receipt had my address completely incorrect - not even the right city or state - and that was no concern to them and no effort to correct it was made.

My final experience with this hotel really took the cake. As I was loading our luggage into the car, I was approached by the Latino housekeeping guy who accused me of smoking in our non-smoking room. Both of us being lifetime non-smokers, I was appalled by his accusation and repeatedly told him that we did not smoke and that the room smelled of smoke upon our arrival. He told me to talk with the front desk staff. I did so and had them convinced, particularly after the guests in the adjacent adjoining room checked out, one of them with a cigarette in hand. All I was given by the front desk clerk was a rather terse, "I'm sorry."

Other than the terrible service, lack of sound insulation, and dysfunctional clientele, the hotel appeared to be clean and in good condition. Unfortunately, the above-mentioned unpleasantries far outweighed these merits.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple