“Great Experience!”

Best Western Coral Hills
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in St. George
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were very please with the overall experience, from check-in to check-out. Friendly knowledgeable employees. Easy access off of I-15, centrally located for local attractions as well as area attractions. We plan on making this our first choice anytime we are in this area. Appreciate the professionalism as well as effort made in cleanliness and keeping furnishings updated. Front desk staff always standing to greet you, breakfast bar attendants friendly and even saw a gentleman each morning outside sweeping drives and lot. Very impressive.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate and love this staff. They are great. I am glad to read your stay was pleasant and positive. I can’t wait to show your compliment to Mori. He is our morning groundskeeper and doesn’t get very many direct compliments. He has been steady and reliable since the day we hired him. If there is anything you find that you feel is not up to standard please let me know. And thank you for the great score!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I'll be honest, when I saw that my company booked me at a Best Western in little old St. George, Utah, I didn't expect much. All too often Best Western's are old and unclean. However--I was extremely impressed with this hotel!

The first thing I noticed when I walked in was the friendliness of the front desk attendant. She greeted me with a smile, welcomed me to the city, and then cheerfully gave me a bit of an orientation to the town. I asked where the local liquor store was, restaurants, etc. She was very helpful--and handed me a list (an extensive one) of restaurants complete with stars, and whether or not they had a liquor license.

The hotel is an exterior access hotel, so I drove right up to my room. When I walked in I was even more surprised! It smelled fresh and clean, and looked BEAUTIFUL! The bed was crisply prepared, everything was in order. I must also say that this is one of the most comfortable beds I've slept on while traveling. A nice flat screen television, brand new furniture, and a well appointed bathroom were also there. This is far from what I expected--it looked more like a Four Points Marriott than a Best Western.

Each day I was there (three nights), I received great service from the smiling housekeeping staff. I was so impressed with their work that I left a rather sizable tip at the end of the week. (BTW..travelers, don't forget to tip your housekeepers, they deserve it!).

The only recommendation I would make is regarding the breakfast--they ran out of food a bit early on each of the days I was there. And--the coffee is terrible. Other than that, this was an A+ stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Mr. Clark,
Thank you for recognizing Britney, Housekeeping and the rest of the staff. High praises indeed being compared to the Marriott properties! Yes, they all work very hard and housekeeping received particular praise. I work alongside the housekeepers on occation, and it is NOT for wimps. They deserved every accolade and tip they receive.
Regarding the breakfast; I am please to make note that we are in the process of restructuring our breakfast. I am sorry it didn’t start until after you checked out two weekends ago. We used to have a problem with bottlenecking of the breakfast line on busy weekends. We asked a food service professional to take a look at our issues and he solved it over night. In addressing that issue it brought another one forward, “how to get the food stocked fast enough for our guest?” For this we have added, only just yesterday, extra staff during the busy hours. Hopefully, this won’t be an issue any longer.
We are also looking into upgrading our breakfast offerings to include more variety and what guest might expect from a property of our quality and standing.
Thank you again for the great review. Please come again, hopefully all of the breakfast changes will be done for you next stay. All my best.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

This motel was not what i was thinking it was going to be! My husband, his mom, and myself stayed here due to a funeral and a wedding. IT WAS WONDERFUL!!! The beds are comfy, the breakfast was good and the staff was so nice! It was deffiantly worth the money!!! I will recommond this motel to other people going to st. george!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

You have our condolences regarding the funeral and congratulations regarding the wedding. I am glad we were able exceed your expectations. You, of course, are welcome to return any time. Thank you for recognizing the staff, I am fortunate to work with such great people. Thank you for the great score and ESPECIALLY for the word of mouth referrals.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

My recent stay at this hotel in St. George was a great experience. For the location in St. George, the staff has updated the rooms, they are modern, quiet and clean. You can swim, have breakfast, work with a very professional and pleasant staff, have the internet all for a very reasonable cost. You can spend more in this city, but you should give this hotel a try instead. The location is central to all you need.

Room Tip: North end will be the quietest, ask for one that is updated if they are not all completed by your st...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for recommending us to the public. All our rooms have been updated with the large 42” flat screen televisions, and have the fridge and microwave. We are in process of updating our breakfast which may take several months as we are also resurfacing our outdoor pool deck and installing updated service lines to provide HD television and increased speeds with the internet. Thank you for complimenting the staff, they really to try hard to serve our guests well.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

When we decided to take a last-minute trip to St. George for the weekend I could not find any hotel vacancies due to several events going on, including the National Music Educators Convention. Out of desperation, I started calling motels in the area that had the best ratings on Trip Advisor, even though all of the online tools said "no vacancy". I was extremely pleased with the cheerful customer service I received when calling the Coral Hills. The young woman helping me named Tricia was not only able to find us a room for 2 nights, but she also offered us a special $55 per night rate!

For that price, we were prepared for a basic no-frills motel room experience, and we just hoped it would be fairly clean. But, when we arrived we were amazed. The check-in was quick and friendly. The room was spacious, spotless, and had obviously been newly refurbished with high grade carpeting, new bedding and wallhangings, new tub and granite sink. I stay in Marriott Hotels often for business, and this room was definitely appointed just as nicely as many Marriott Hotel rooms I've been in. In fact, I have to say that staying here is a better option than at a Marriott (or other 5 star pricey hotel) in many ways! Here are just a few:

1. Price a fraction of a Marriott rate
2. A mini-fridge and microwave included in each room
3. Huge flatscreen cable TV (I have never seen a TV in the Marriott as large as this one was)
4. Towels folded in oragami shapes in the bathroom (who ever does that anymore except on cruise ships?) We thought that was a lovely little touch
5. Bath and Body Works products
6. FREE high speed internet in-room. (Marriott charges at least $10-15 a day)
7. Free breakfast option (granted, it is not a good breakfast, but at least some food is actually included)
8. Indoor and Outdoor pool options (note, the outdoor pool is closed in winter, and the indoor pool is small and frequently over-crowded)

ROOM: Because we did not arrive until very late at night and I had been driving for 6 straight hours I was exhausted and I had no trouble falling right to sleep. The bed was very comfortable, and the room temperature was perfect. However, my husband and teen daughters had a much harder time falling to sleep and staying asleep due to a very high pitched buzzing and an annoying humming noise that lasted all night long. I slept through it. But, the next day I noticed it and we finally discovered the noise was coming from the mini-fridge. Once we unplugged the fridge, the noise stopped. Since we didn't plan to use the fridge, this didn't adversely affect our stay. I told the front desk and they told me not to worry about it being unplugged and that it "wouldn't leak". But, later in the day the management did have to come in and mop up the water leakage from the machine because it had thawed out and, yes, it had leaked. The manager was very apologetic about the problem. The machine was obviously new and must have been a defective unit so I don't fault this event against the motel. But, it is unfortunate it cost my family one good night rest.

LOCATION: The location of this motel is very central and convenient. We spent a day hiking in Snow Canyon State Park (beautiful!) which took less than a 10 min. to drive. The historic district of St. George is just a couple of blocks walk from this motel so you can certainly just walk around to see many sites. Just one block south is the visitor's bureau, where you can pick up lots of free maps of the area, coupons, free samples from local vendors, and a walking tour pamphlet. On our last afternoon we walked over to the historic Tabernacle and had a lovely free guided tour.

KID TIP: If you are travelling with children, this motel is only 2 blocks away from "Laser Mania", a unique arcade that features a 3600 square feet Laser Tag arena with state of the art equipment (the best we've ever tried), and a fun black-lit 3-D miniature golf course, among other things. We had a great time playing here for a few hours with our teens.

INTERNET: The free highspeed internet worked well. I uploaded some photos to my Facebook page with no problems, and I was able to check my email and browse the internet quickly. The only slowing I got was when trying to play any YouTube videos. They were very slow loading. Everything else worked great.

BATHROOM: The new showerheads are designed with TALL people in mind. They are also a very high quality. We had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The toilet also had good water pressure and never clogged. The tub and shower curtain were all new and very nice. The sink & coffee maker machine, etc, is located outside of the room with the toilet & bathtub, which is nice if more than 1 person is staying in the room. It had a new granite counter top. The door to our toilet/tub room needed to be realigned and had a hard time closing.

FITNESS ROOM: They have one. We didn't use it while we were there, but it looked like there were a couple of nice machines.

POOLS: The outdoor pool is closed until late spring. The Indoor is small and potentially can be very crowded. A sign inside our room said to be sure to get "pool towels" from the front desk and not to use our room towels. When my husband dutifully went to the front desk we were told pool towels were located AT the pool. When arriving at the pool, the only towels we found were already wet & used, and laying on the ground. The pool was also crowded. So, needless to say, husband and kids just gave up and came back to the room without swimming. We never tried to use the pool again.

BREAKFAST:
The biggest disappointment of this motel is the "free breakfast". If they could make some improvements, they'd probably earn my highest rating. My advice to any travelers planning to stay here is that you definitely should plan to eat all of your meals elsewhere.

The Dining Location: At present, the breakfast room is located in the basement under the check-in counter which must be reached down a flight of narrow stairs. I couldn't see any other way of access, so this would certainly not accomodate anyone who cannot do stairs. The space is small and was terribly crowded. (it didn't help that it was full of teenaged boys who were part of a touring choir when we were there).

No Water: There was no water (iced, or otherwise) available for drinking, only juice and coffee. When we asked for water, the overworked girl running the entire operation actually had to run upstairs and then returned with a cup of lukewarm tap water.

Lack of Choices: The only hot options are packages of instant oatmeal, or the self-made waffles. However, with only 2 waffle machines the wait is dismally long and really not worth it. The only protein option is hard boiled eggs which are pre-cooked and refrigerated inside the shells (NOT a healthy practice). Everything else is just carbs and sugar. There was no fruit available (aparently a few red apples had been placed in a bowl, but they had run out)

Lack of Cleanliness: The breakfast space was messy! Because there was only one girl trying to keep the food stocked, there was no one bothering to clean off the tables or keep the floor swept. Many of the guests were not even bothering to clean up after themselves! (families with young children the worst offenders) So, all new guests were left to clean off tables for themselves - which were a disgusting sticky mess and nothing to use to clean off the tables with except a napkin (no sanitizer and no water).

MEAL TIPS: Go to the "Bear Paw Cafe" located one block south. They serve the most incredible homemade breakfast we've had in a long time. (I wrote a separate review about them) We highly recommend it! For lunch, we highly recommend eating at Camille's Sidewalk Bistro.

OVERALL: The Coral Hills motel is an excellent place to stay in St. George - especially if you can get a discounted rate like we did. It offers many amenities and some extra features that are often not found in expensive hotels. This is a particularly great place for groups or families. However, you should not rely on the "free breakfast" for a meal. We feel like we really scored BIG being able to stay here, and we would definitely consider staying here again when we return to St. George. I highly recommend that you book as far in advance as possible to ensure getting a room, and make your reservation by CALLING the motel - not online - so that you can find out if they have any unadvertised specials they might be able to offer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #102 which was newly remodelled and very nice but close to the entrance traffic. A...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Hollyday66
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you!!! It has been a while since I have read a review as thorough as yours. I really do appreciate your compliments and candor. It goes a long way in helping us to improve our property and services. Trish is awesome, we have benefited from her skills and efforts. I also appreciate the comparison with the Marriott brand – a very worthy competitor. We have fixed the refrigerator issue; I have no explanation for why we were out of towels but had reminded the staff about keeping the office supply full. The bathroom door has been reported to maintenance. The general manager and I looked this morning at our options for cold water at the breakfast. We are looking to revamp our breakfast in the coming months but as we approach our busy season it may take longer due to the upgrades we are making with our outdoor pool deck in preparation for spring swimming. The breakfast offerings are comparable to several properties in town but our presentation is lacking. Trying to eat after or during a 70 member boy’s choir would be a difficult. We tried to plan accordingly but it did run away from us for about 30 minutes. It is very likely once we make the changes to breakfast we will also be adding additional staff to maintain the breakfast area. Things are continually improving here, and it has much to do with listening and taking our guests comments seriously. Your comments were great, Thanks again. Please introduce yourself to me next time you’re in town.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I and a teammate from Honolulu, HI have been visiting St GEO UT ~ past 7 years , for playing
in the Huntsman World SR Games there, each first week of October . We arrive via LasVegas,but travel for several days, all over the beautiful Utah and SouthWest Canyon Country --- Brice,Zion , Grand Cyn, Navajo lands . We stay in many hotels , including 4 & 5 ***** digs in LAS , and really upscale Hawaii Hotels , like the Moana Surfrider , Grand Wailea, Mauna kea & the like. BUT , each year Tom Y and DR J , return to BW Coral Hills , along with our team from Kauai and Oahu HI --- we really love the friendliness of the Front Office ; Great AM breakfast service; very convenient location ; clean rooms and super services , with
the outdoor pool , ice machine nearby , is all we could want !! We 'll be asking for Room 121
again for ~ 08 to 12 Oct 2012 !!

Room Tip: I personally like the BW Coral Hills rooms about 1/2 way between the Outdoor & indoor pools ; f...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jed H
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2012

…And we LOVE Jed H! Thank you for your patronage year after year, and especially in esteeming us in the same league as some really nice properties.
“Breakfast Sarah” says: ”hello”! I know she always looks forward to your team every year. Travel safe and we’ll see you next October!

Reviewed 26 January 2012

I was traveling through St. George on my return trip from Yosemite in late October. I had driven from Fresno, California that morning and didn't get to St George until almost 10 P. M. There was an accident on the freeway involving a semi- truckload of bees. Decided to stop instead of fighting the back logged traffic.

I went to the trip advisor website and after reading reviews about several other motels, I decided that this motel had the most favorable ones. I have found myself relying heavily on reviews after some previously bad choices.

I had stayed here with my family every Memorial weekend in the late 90's. Boy had they changed it. The property has expanded the number of rooms. I was very lucky to be placed in newer building on the ground floor.

The wonderful front desk person was so kind even at the late hour. She registered me quickly and efficiently. Told me of the amenities and I was off to my room.

I opened the door to the most beautifully decorated, updated room with the most comfortable king bed I have ever slept in. The flat screen T.V. was nice and very large. I would compare this motel to a very expensive hotel I stayed in when I visited Sydney, Australia. It could not have been more lovely.

I believe they have an indoor and an outdoor swimming pool. Which is a very nice option. I did hop in the jacuzzi which was located in the same building just a few doors away from my room before a great night's rest. I actually slept in and missed the breakfast which I was looking forward to trying.

I will choose this place over any other in St George in the future. I have stayed in many other motels in St George and I don't believe you can get a nicer room for the money.

As I was checking out the next morning, I noticed that a whole load of new matresses were being placed in the rooms of the older, original buildings. I think the entire place is undergoing a complete restoration. I highly recommend the Best Western Coral Hills!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Hopingtoseetheworld
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

I am very grateful for your review. All the renovations have been pretty nice haven’t they? As you noticed, all our rooms do have new pillow top mattresses and the large, flat screen televisions. I am sorry you missed the breakfast, maybe next time. Currently we are resurfacing our outdoor pool deck which will be done in time for the swim season. Some of the further upgrades we will be adding this March are a new treadmill, faster internet speeds and High-Definition television service. Thank you, again for your great review and strong recommendation. We look forward to serving you again. If there is ever anything we can do better or you think we should consider please don’t hesitate. We are always looking for ways to improve.