“Southern Hospitality in Dixie”

Best Western Coral Hills
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in St. George
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Dont let the exterior entry doors deceive you into thinking this is a "typical" low budget hotel. The BW Coral Hills is gem in the heart of Dixie. Dixie in Southern Utah, that is! Our room, on the second floor near the pool, was great. The room was beautifully decorated. Two arm chairs, two queen beds, a spacious desk and a wide screen TV made this room seem more like the hotels where I've stayed in hotels twice the price. The room was clean as was the bathroom. There was a window in our bathroom facing the St George Police Dept. It was nice to have the window cracked while the bathroom was in use, especially because there was no fan to remove the humidity from the shower. The screen was ripped, however, and I'm thinking that some previous tenant may have decided to take a smoke outside the window in the otherwise non-smoking room. It was nice to see a coffee maker in the room as there was no coffee in the small, but elegantly appointed, lobby. Breakfast was as great as all the reviews had stated! The eggs were not dry or runny. The sausage links were juicy and cooked to perfection. They also had two different types of waffle irons and a wide selection of dry cereal. We were surprised to find they had French toast on our second morning. We had totally missed it the first day. Orange and apple juice were available as was coffee and milk. No water, however. A nice selection of breads were available as well as super-yummy mini-muffins.

The outside pool is exposed directly to the traffic on St George Blvd with very little privacy, but it was a nice pool area. The lounge chairs are comfy and there is a covered area with chairs and a table. There is also an indoor heated pool for the winter and a simple, yet adequate, exercise room. They are a bit a ways from the front check-in area.

This is a great hotel for the money and location. A quaint area called Ancestor Square is just a few blocks away as are nice vintage shops, a jeweler, a local pharmacy and a bowling alley.

You can't go wrong with this choice. I'm sure we will stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank S F
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

WOW, what a fantastic review! It is true; we are NOT a typical hotel. There are quite a few unique features at this property. We have TWO pools indoor and outdoor. Some of our rooms have a sunken bathtub; we also have both exterior and interior entrances to the guest rooms. For the overall location and amenities and for the price paid it is truly a great value. Thanks for letting us know about the screen – we will have all of them checked. For the comparative age of our property and for the rankings and reviews we receive on TripAdvisor, it is a testament to the great owners and staff that work here. Thanks you again for such a great review!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

They recently upgraded the rooms. The beds were very comfortable. The breakfast bar has expanded and now includes sausage and eggs. It is a smaller hotel so the pool is not as crowded. This is an excellent place to stay when visiting Saint George.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Thank you for your review. I presume our pool doesn’t get as crowded because we have the luxury of having two pools. There is an indoor pool and spa towards the back of the property. It is especially nice to have during the winter months. Come again!

Reviewed 17 August 2012

In transit along the I-15 and needing a rest, this BW property is a perfect location. The rooms are comfortable and well-appointed with fridge, microwave, and flatscreen TVs... recently updated. Pool. Outstanding and friendly staff who care about your stay. Very good breakfast (and I'm not a big hotel/motel continental breakfast type). All at quite reasonable prices.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Come again, next time you stop over in the area. I appreciate your review and having mentioned some of the room amenities that everyone enjoys. I think our location is perfect because we also have 13 restaurants within three blocks of the hotel. We are in the Downtown, Historic District of St. George; which means we are centrally located to everything. Happy Trails!

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I didn't get to spend a lot of time here - I was just passing through on my way to Mt. Carmel Junction. I arrived very late - late flight, long line at the rental car desk, but the front desk staff member was very helpful and energetic. Room was very comfortable and clean - bed was extremely comfortable.

It was nice and quiet even though the hotel looked pretty full

Th free breakfast was as expected, including the popular waffles.

Housekeeping staff was wonderful. I left my contact lenses in the room. They called me that afternoon and kept them for me until I was on my way back through St. George. They even offered to mail them to me.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

I am glad you got your contacts back. A recent change to our breakfast was from a continental to hot breakfast to include sausage, scrambled eggs and on occasion we even make omelets. We have become a very popular property in the southern Utah area. We have been here for over 40 years, are continually updating and have fourth generation family members staying with us. We also consider our guests as an extension of our BW Coral Hills family. That said, you are “welcome home” next time you’re in the area.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

The front desk staff were VERY friendly & helpful during registration. Stayed in balcony room which was nice for privacy & some view. Room was decent size & clean. Closet with full-length mirrored doors, big flat screen TV, good size bath area, coffeemaker. FYI-no elevator. Lots of parking space. Only 1 place to eat within short walking distance (Iceberg Drive-Inn which is kitty corner of hotel...good!) Would probably stay here again when back in St. Geo.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for balcony room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Glad you enjoyed the room with the private balcony. Next time you stay you need to try some of the other restaurants within walking distance, we have 13 within three blocks and the majority is within one. Pizza Factory, Pasta Factory, The Painted Pony, Benja’s Sushi Thai, George’s Corner, The Bear Paw, 25 Main, Nelsons’ Frozen Custard, Café Rio, Iceberg you mentioned, and the other three I can see in my mind but don’t recall their names…an Italian, Oriental and Hot Dog/Burger place. Now that I count them there is also Capilletti’s on Tabernacle which makes a grand total of 14! Wow! And it’s true, there is no elevator available at the property so anyone needing a ground floor room please be certain to tell the staff at the time of reservation you need a ground floor. Thanks for your great review.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My family and I stayed at the Best Western Coral Hills for 2 nights and had a wonderful stay. The hotel is newly remodeled and very comfortable. My daughter, husband and I had great time in the outdoor pool along with other families. A lot of the families staying there were going to Tuacahn for the musical Aladdin so this hotel is great for families. The rooms were very clean with just the right amount of furniture and decor. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating and even called our room to check and see how our stay was going and if we needed anything. We will definitely be returning in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GMJB

I am glad your family enjoyed their stay with us. If you return in the winter to see Tuacahn’s indoor production of White Christmas be certain to ask for a room in the east wing which has an indoor pool and spa along with the exercise room. As it turns out we will be updating the furniture yet again this fall for 40 of our room. Something is always getting updated at the Best Western Coral Hills.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I do travel reviews all the time and I will say I was truly impressed with our stay at Best Western Coral Hills. The staff were on top of their game and the rooms were clean and recently updated. As soon as I walked into the room the phone rang with a courtesy call from the front desk asking how I liked the room and if there was anything they could do. A week after my stay I received an email asking if we had any difficulties and thanking us for our visit. Customer service goes a long way and I will be certain to recommend you! Thanks for a wonderful stay in St. George.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JLB1977

I appreciate the acknowledgements you have given our staff and some of the things we try to consistently do to stay in touch with the needs and perceptions of our guests. We sincerely do appreciate all feedback. Now that those two “cats are out of the bag” we should further develop some other ideas we have had to add that extra nice touch. Perhaps next time you are in the area and stay with us, or maybe even sooner, you might give me a few ideas that you have enjoyed at other properties. Thank you so much for staying with us.