“"The flooding happens every Three months or so?" The hotel staff said”

Best Western Coral Hills
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in St. George
GreenLeadersSilver level
Park City, UT
“"The flooding happens every Three months or so?" The hotel staff said”
Reviewed 21 April 2010

We arrived eager to tryout a new hotel - as our usual hotel was not available. Used the spa and pool - which were old but well kept overall. Slept poorly - thought there was someone in the room with me (besides our child)! The walls were so thin you could hear the person sleeping/breathing in the next room. The following day, in the bathroom, I could hear every piece of conversation as if it was happening right next to me - in the same bathroom. But what was really odd was discovering the ceiling was missing inside the overhead light cover - about a 3 foot by 8 foot space - with exposed plumbing??? It all came to light that morning when we stepped outside our room to a raging flood of hot water in the hall! I reported it to the manager on site - 2x as the hall was filling up and flooding some of the rooms! 20 minutes later the handyman showed up and said - oh yeah - it is the pipes - this happens often! What? are you kidding - 9 am in the morning and now there is no electricity and no water as they are both shut off. It appears I see why the ceiling was missing in our room! This after going to breakfast in a tight little basement with 75 people stuffed inside - inside temperature - I would guess about 90 degrees and the employees were eating the food as they were puting it out on the buffet tables! Yuck! After checking out at 9:30 am with our unwashed hair and unshaven faces - we asked the onsite management about the flooding problem - they confirmed saying it happened every 3 months or so. No apologies or credits? They offered late checkout to those that ended up with water in their rooms not with a puddle outside their doors or lacking in electricity or water...why would anyone want to stay longer - you cannot use the toilet, take a shower or clean your face?? UNBELIEVABLE!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
AAARGH! I am sick with disappointment. I am very sorry your stay with us fell so far short of reasonable expectations. I will try to address each concern in the order it is listed.

With the exception of the outdoor pool deck, both pools and spas have been renovated with new plaster, railings and deck within the last three years.

This is the first time I’ve received a complaint about hearing a guest sleeping/breathing in a room next door. I presume there is more to this than I am being made aware. Under normal circumstances if a guest informs the staff of loud neighbors they will investigate to the exact source of the noise, and ask the offending parties to quiet down.

As best I can ascertain, the water was shut off within 5 minutes of being reported. However, the leak being in a downstairs room, water continues to drain from the upstairs pipes even after the water has been shut off. Unknown to you, the manager did see the location of the leak then left to a sister property to retrieve a water extractor for the carpets. In the meantime, maintenance being told the water was off went directly to the shop to retrieve tools sufficient to begin repairs. This was done in the intervening 15 minutes. The guest with the leak in their room was aware of the staff’s efforts.

The 3x8 gap in the recessed lighting over the sink is an oversight from a prior renovation, this may have attributed to hearing the other room’s noise so well. It is an embarrassment soon to be repaired. As to the staff stating and confirming there is a leak “every three months” is a gross exaggeration and made from flippant remarks of a prior conversation between the same two employees. The staff members involved have been embarrassed at how their comments are now known to the world-at-large, and especially since ALL guest comments are shared with the owners and ALL hotel staff.

At one time the breakfast room was originally the largest meeting space in St. George. The building was build prior to the advent of hotels serving any kind of breakfast. So, yes the room is smaller than we would like.
The a/c has at times been shut off by guests who feel the room temperature is too cold, or is not turned down soon enough by staff. We are looking into a lock box or digital/programmable thermostat to fix this problem.
Some breakfast staff has taken occasion to eat their own food in the kitchen during breakfast, which is no longer allowed because of the perception it gives.

The occurrences you experienced are not typical and we strive to make any inconveniences fair for each guest. I am disappointed all of your concerns were not brought to the attention of the front desk at check out. Efforts would have made to not have you leave until you felt fairly treated, cared for and appreciated. I sincerely do appreciate the condor, and feel the frustration of your comments and have made corrective measures as much as is possible. I hope it is not too late to improve your opinion of our property & staff and have yet an opportunity to “do things right” by you. If there is, please contact me. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We have stayed here several times and can always depend on a clean, comfortable room with a nice breakfast at a great price. We appreciate the two pools (one inside and one outside) and the long swim hours. The grounds are clean and well kept. The service is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Well, thank you very kindly for continuing to stay with us; this is the best compliment our guests can give. It’s nice to know we are serving your needs when you are down for business. If there is anything you can recommend to improve our services(s) for future stays please let me, or one of the front desk staff, know. I just found this out, but several of the top 10 (out of 90) St. George Restaurants are all within 3 blocks of the Best Western Coral Hills. It’s good to be in the Downtown Historic District! See you soon.
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Team travel is always difficult, the management and staff made arranging the accommodations very easy. All of the rooms we needed were located on the same floor and together. The rooms were clean and updated. Adults were not required in each room but there was a system of responsibility that had to be followed. The pool was a great distraction for the boys as was the putting area. Breakfast was a little congested but the boys were able to find food that they liked and in the amounts they needed. The team wants to return again next year. The only negative is a personal and very minor. I' am a light sleeper and the Hotel is located on arterial road so there was a little traffic noise that abated around 10 pm, Friday night. Our wing of the hotel was located near the road.

• Stayed March 2010
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 15 March 2010
Thanks for your review. We have always done well to make certain we have enough breakfast food for everyone. Your team was a pleasure to work with and well behaved. I hope to accommodate your team again next year. When you stay again, ask to have your room assigned toward the back of the property. I have made a note on your guest history regarding room location as well. Hopefully this will assist you to sleep even better next time. Thanks for staying with us!
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Great service -- the front desk folks were prompt, courteous and very helpful. The room couldn't have been cleaner, and it had a very large t.v., perfect for watching the Academy Awards (which happened to take place the night of our stay). The hotel is close to lots of restaurants (though we had fairly slim pickings because many places in St. George close on Sundays).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank danslos
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Danslos,
You’re right, watching the Academy Awards is perfect on a 42” flat screen television. Thank you for your compliments toward the staff. I share your compliments with them. Personally, I think the BW Coral Hills has the best location for a varied selection of ten excellent restaurants within walking distance.
Happy Travels,
Chichester, NH
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I can't believe it! I booked a room here for 2 nights. I did so because I has stayed at Best Western Abbey Inn in St. George one month earlier and found the internet access to be almost impossible. (You can read my review of that experience). I figured this would be fine. Wrong! After checking in, I turned on my computer only to find that this hotel uses the same local internet provider (Air 2 Data) and had the same problems.

The room was fine. The front desk staff supplied us with extra bedding. The breakfast was nice.

But if you need hi speed internet, forget this place. After logging onto their wifi network, I was able to get out onto the internet only occasionally. A page would come in, then wait for 2 minutes for the next one. Then all internet access would be lost. I complained. The desk staff person went to another hotel to get me a ethernet cable so I could connect by wire. When I did, there was no difference. I carried my laptop to the front desk to show the problem. I was told that I should call their ISP to figure out what the problem was. That is the same thing was told at the other Best Western! I am their customer and they want me to solve their problem?

The problem was not in my laptop. It connects just fine to other wife networks every day, including those at other hotels and airports. The only paces I have had this problem are the two hotels in St. George where I have stayed that have "Air 2 Data" as their ISP.

If you don't need consistent hi speed internet access, this place is fine. If you do, STAY AWAY.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DougHall
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 10 March 2010
Doug Hall,

I’m VERY grateful to report the hi-speed internet is now working perfectly.

After receiving your comments regarding your recent stay we contacted Air2Data and shared with them your frustration; which we quickly took on as our own. They were very prompt to respond to all our calls and e-mails. They immediately scheduled a representative to stay with us and over the weekend no less. He found it necessary to replace various components of the hardware located on the property. He and the manager then tested the wireless and wired service at various locations throughout the property all during the evening and following morning.

Everything is running as it should have for your stay. On behalf of the BW Coral Hills and Air2Data I am sorry it this feature was not running property during your stay, it is obviously very important for your needs.

I’m pleased to read that the room, extra bedding and breakfast were satisfactory for you. I was also pleased to read of the initiative my staff took to locate an ethernet cable in an attempt to resolve the issue. I have since purchased an additional thirty cables to avoid any such delay again. Even if you do not try our property again I hope you will take a moment and test the internet service when in the area and tell me what you think.
All my best, John
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed here while looking at homes in the area. Very friendly staff, Above average continental breakfast, and clean rooms, lobby, and bathrooms. Staff was very helpful in providing me with directions & restaurant recommendations. When I found my husband accidentally booked my return flight 1 month later than it should have been, the desk clerk was very helpful in adding a last minute additional night stay to accommodate my rescheduled flight. My husband stayed here in January when we began looking for a home in the area & again in April for our closing. Now that we have a home in the area, we will not be staying here again, but will definitely recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Sassafras22
BWCoralHillsManager, John Kessler, AGM at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 5 February 2010
How is it that many of our best guests end up moving to St. George?!
Stop by and visit for ‘old-times’-sake’ sometime….and welcome to the neighborhood! :-)
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We have stayed at this BW hotel before and enjoyed it. The front office staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arnoldboy
Thanks for staying with us multiple times! The next time you visit you will notice some nice renovations completed in the front section of the property. We have constructed some red-rock pillars and replaced the rod-iron railings that help blend the property better with the historic district. It has turned out very nice and we’re receiving some great comments.