“Worst hotel experience of the year!”

Best Western Coral Hills
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in St. George
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado
“Worst hotel experience of the year!”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Wild drunken revelry! Great place for a wild party until 2am! Two busloads of drunken revelers showed up at 10:30 pm, broke out the beer and music and had a party outside the rooms in the parking lot. Hotel staff couldn't deal with their guests, but refused to call the police...company policy. I had to instead. Once the cops responded, peace and quiet finally! 4 hours of sleep before my presentation to a confernce facility full of people the next day. I have limited expectations of a hotel...all I ask is a decent night of rest. This hotel couldn't even provide that. However, if you love to party on a Wednesday night, the hotel staff is very accomodating.

• Stayed February 2010
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 24 January 2011
At first I was uncertain if your review was applied to the appropriate property but then noticed this took place almost a year ago. To my embarrassment, I am able to confirm there was a group, there was noise, and the police were called. The auditor did mention to me there was an attempt on his part to calm the noise and the guests seemed respectful. He also recalls a guest had informed him the police had been called regarding the noise. Apart from this, timelines and memories are too vague to give an accurate reporting to my satisfaction. I can only speculate as to how and why it continued, what measures were taken and at what times.

I apologize on behalf of our other guests who caused the disturbance, and that our efforts were not sufficient to quiet them in a timely manner. I also apologize for your loss of sleep and hope your presentation was successful. I am grateful to you for having brought this to my attention. This is a rare and unfortunate incident, which, that I can recall, had not happened before, nor has it happened in the year since.
All my best,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Kanab, Utah
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I am in St. George at least one night every week on business. I use a well-known auction site most of the time to book a three star (i.e. Marriot/Hilton) hotel. I usually get a room for around $46 plus tax/fees. This time I decided to try a two and one-half star hotel. It still cost $46 plus and I won the bid at this Best Western property. It was my first stay at Coral Hills. I was given an updated (i.e. recently remodeled) room. It was clean, had nice beds with a good selectiono of pillows, a refrig/microwave, nice large LCD/flat panel TV, free local and USA Today newspapers, etc. My stay was pleasant and comfortable. Only two slight drawbacks: 1) the breakfast room at this property was being remodeled, so I had to go several blocks down the street to their sister BW property and eat there. Breakfast was nice, but nothing too fancy. 2) There was no soap dish/holder in the shower/tub. I thought this was really odd. There was no place to sit the soap while showering. First time I have ever encountered somethign like this.

While I would stay here again if the price was right, I will probably just keep bidding $46 for a three star and stay at the Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

Overall, it was nice.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
I was happy to read your overall good experience with us was good. It’s appreciated to be in league with the hotels you mentioned. The major portion of the breakfast room renovations is complete. We have taken out the carpet and installed tile which will be easier to clean and has brightened up the room. We also moved counters around which helps guests get served faster. Thanks for giving us a try!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I am a Best Western fan, and am platinum with the chain. The rooms are great, big, clean, even have flat screen tv's, fridges & microwaves. Love they have an indoor pool/hot tub and could park my car right outside my room. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Thank you!
The familiarity you have with the Best Western chain and the frequency of your traveling leads me to really appreciate, and be grateful for, your comments. When you venture this way again you will find we have renovated our breakfast room. This week (Jan 10th) we are installing a tile floor and will soon have new serving fixtures which will improve the presentation of the food. We anticipate finishing our renovations later this spring; so the remainder of our rooms will include the 42” flat screen HD televisions.
Thank you again, and all my best.
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Enjoyed staying with teen-aged son. Plenty of room in room with queen beds. Good bathroom. Quiet room. And the breakfast is great! Will stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 27 December 2010
Thank you for the perfect marks! Most of our rooms are larger than the typical hotel spaces that are built today. Which helps overcome the cramped feeling some folks get when staying at hotels. I am glad your stay went well, and look forward to your return, all my best to you and your family.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed here from Oct. 28-31, 2010. You know all you need to know when you see that a representative of this hotel responds to the reviews on Trip Advisor: the staff here cares about the quality of their product. This is a moderately priced hotel with excellent service. We stayed in one of the rooms which has not been renovated but it was clean, quiet and the king-sized bed was very comfortable. Lots of choice in TV channels. Good wi-fi connection (which is not always a given!). The room was large with plenty of closet space where we could hide away our golf clubs and travel bags .The breakfast selections were numerous: waffles, bagels, pastries, cereal, pancakes, juices, milk, coffee etc. There are both indoor and outdoor pools and they appeared to be well-maintained and clean. It is conveniently located only a few minutes' drive from the Outlet Mall and good restaurants and an easy 45-60 minute drive from Zion National Park. The only complaint we had was that, even though we were in a non-smoking room, the smoke from the outside found its way into our room. This could be a concern if you had allergies-which we do not. At worst, a minor irritant. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MesaMac
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 1 November 2010
Thanks for speaking with me when you checked out. You’re right, you left a great review. I’m grateful. It’s interesting you mentioned the wi-fi connection. We had the opportunity to review our connection speeds this past weekend and found a way to improve them. We are currently looking into wi-fi redundancy so access may be uninterrupted for our guests. We’ll know by the end of the month what approach will be the most practical.
Also this past week we replaced the outdoor balcony carpeting (which was only a year old) due to cigarette burns. This, and comments like yours, has prompted us to look into making a small section of the property more of a “smoke-free zone”. We acknowledge this won’t be a 100% avoidable, but it should increase the likelihood of this not happening for someone who does have smoke allergies. Wish us luck!
American Fork, Utah
Reviewed 18 October 2010

The breakfast was great, but the hotel it self was not great. It seemed old.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank RaeDudley
JohnKessler, Manager at Best Western Coral Hills, responded to this review, 20 October 2010
I’m happy to read breakfast was great. True, this is an “older” property in the St. George area. The oldest section of the property was built in 1968 if I recall correctly. That said, about half our rooms were renovated last winter and the remaining half will be done this the coming January. I’m curious if you had a renovated room or not. Even so, your impressions may have been the same. This year we have done a complete facelift on the exterior of the property; with water efficient landscaping, rock-faced pillars, new railings, new stucco, a new paint scheme and exterior lighting. This has done much to update our curb-appeal and tie us in better with the Downtown Historic District.
Thanks for your honest and objective review. It helps us recognize there can always be improvement.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Remodeled room was very comfortable and well-appointed. Really enjoyed the flat screen TV. Great breakfast! Really nice having an indoor pool & spa for rainy days and outdoor pool & spa for the sunny days.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Thanks for staying with us. I’m glad you found several of the amenities to your liking.
We are now in our slower season for the St George area…for the weekdays at least, and some of the weekends. In the coming months, if you need a break from the Wyoming snows, be sure to look us up as the rates tend to reflect the slower season.