“Their Anniversary package made up for my crappy Best-Western honeymoon!”

Green Gate Village Historic Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 St. George B&B and Inns
Saint George
“Their Anniversary package made up for my crappy Best-Western honeymoon!”
Reviewed 18 January 2008

Every year on our anniversary, I try to make up for the short, low-budget honeymoon we had when we got married. This year, I finally got my wish! Green Gate Village Historic Inn is perfect for those of us looking for a quiet, but luxurious place to stay. We stayed in the Lela suite, also known as the Bridal suite. We happened to be there when nobody else was in the house, so we got the common rooms all to ourselves as well. The jetted tub was my favorite, but I also loved the candle-lit fireplace. My husband was happy there was a tv (covered in an armoire) with a DVD player so we could watch a movie. I loved the King-sized bed with canopy. The whole place is just adorable with all the antiques. They've really tried to restore the original historic charm of the place. The Judd store sells historic candy and pop that you can't find anywhere else! The management is so friendly and one of the greatest things is that you can add packages to your deal. We added the breakfast in bed package and the romantic package, which included chocolates, sparkling cider, and flowers.
They also had a pool and hot tub, but we had our own whirlpool tub, so we were content to stay inside in January!
Some of the other packages sounded really great, too, but we didn't have the extra money for them: have a barbershop quartet sing to you and your spouse at your door. Or a swedish massage in your room. There are also theatre packages and more. It's the most unique place I've ever stayed. My husband and I are definitely going to return to Green Gate Village Inn!

• Liked — Historic charm and personal service
  • Disliked — reserving online was tricky, better to call
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katrinangel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Oakland
Reviewed 21 November 2007

I’m an architect from the Bay Area who worked on two of the newest hotels in Southern Utah this past year. Our team could have stayed at any chain in the area but our travel department booked us at this truly unique place through Expedia. After that first chance stay we now won’t let her book us anywhere else, even if it’s only for one night. (Often they are sold out on Expedia so she books directly on line through their website where she can usually find a vacancy.) We’ve been back 17 or 18 times in the past year or so and like the historic theme, the classic 125-year-old buildings and beautiful garden setting. We often bring along our wives. They enjoy the historic district and musical theater packages as well as the romantic fireplaces and jetted tubs in most of the rooms. I’d come back anytime, even on my own dime. It used to be that, if we had an early morning meeting, the innkeepers would put together a great takeout meal the night before. However, we purposely no longer schedule early meetings so we won’t miss out on the inn’s hearty breakfast of baked apples or fresh fruit, thick smoked bacon, eggs, omelets, Belgian waffles, etc. The antique telephones in the rooms don’t have Internet ports but only two of the most remote bungalows at the inn still lack wireless Internet access. That’s been a minor issue for us as it’s always working in the main house and the old general store. Everything else is solid three stars, three diamonds.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank OaklandFastdraw
utah
Reviewed 30 March 2007

We stated at the Green Gate a couple of weeks ago. The trees are in bloom and it really is very pretty. We rented the Judd House. I love the architecture and the large bathtub. I swam in their pool, a bit small, but lovely and quiet. Breakfast was simple but good, especially the fruit. The only down side is the challange of keeping very old buildings from getting musty, maintaining the historical character while using furniture that isn't overly used. To that end our "house" smelled old...no kidding it was built in 1911 (?), but still I wanted to get some ceder chips or something to put in the drawer with my clothes. I think the couch is used also as a futton and could have used a bit of febreez, or maybe a different fabric that is easier to clean. The front porch is lovely, be warned however that there is construction going on across the street lots of beeping. The owners/inn keepers were darling and very friendly. We would go back, but probably venture around first.

• Liked — The beautiful history and trees
  • Disliked — The musty smell of the room and couch
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
Bountiful, UT
Reviewed 16 March 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Green Gate Village in the Daniel Suite. Upon arriving, we found reception polite and they showed us to our room. The room is quite spacious. The decor is mix and match with pieces of furniture--some appear new and others well-worn. Some pieces appear to have come from a garage sale. Nightstands, lamps and chairs did not match. The microwave is in the bathroom?? The berber carpet did not match the decor. Some pieces of marble tile were broken and chipped in the entry way. The paint was faded, chipped and in need of replacement. The tub was dirty and stained, the shower curtain was faded and had mildew on the bottom. Some wallpaper was peeling in spots. The bathroom sink was stained. The king size bed sagged in the middle as did the daybed. Overall, the furnishings need to be replaced and the room and bathroom repainted and spruced up.

The breakfast was good and they even served my breakfast earlier than their appointed 8-9:00 PM timeslot one morning. But, this was not convenient on our second day as I went to an early meeting and did not get breakfast.

The night before checkout, I requested a late checkout at noon, one hour longer than their 11:00 AM checkout. I was told that they could not accomodate us since the room needed to be prepared for other incoming guests. I was a little confused since checkin is not until 3:00 PM. But I quickly read between the lines--an incoming guest is more important than one checking out. Also, since we did not receive any maid service the first day (though we put our maid service sign on the door) it would certainly take longer to clean our room for the next guests???

So, overall I was disappointed. This B&B is not convenient for business travel if you want breakfast or late checkout. The price is a bit steep at $129 for a 2-star property. I've stayed at many 4-star properties that are far superior and less expensive. I suppose most travellers staying there probably are from out of town and had to book this place last minute since other properties are probably full.

We will skip this place in the future. For the same amount of money, stay at the Hilton which is new and more accomodating.

• Liked — Location is convenient
  • Disliked — Well-worn and not accomodating for special requests.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank Parched
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2006

There's so much to like about the Green Gate Inn. The owners and staff weren't just friendly and helpful, they treated us like close friends visiting from out of town. The homes are comfortable and spacious. They have all the charm of the pioneer ear from which they come, with modern and well maintained electricity, plumbing and air conditioning. Breakfast every morning was wonderful.

The location of the Green Gate Inn is terrific. It is right in the heart of the historic district of St. George. There are plenty of historic sites to visit and nice restaurants to enjoy within walking distance or the Inn.

My wife and I couldn't have stayed at a more charming place on our honeymoon. We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The friendly staff and comfortable accomodations.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the Green Gate Inn if you can make it fit your travel budget.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlueTucson
Arroyo Grande, CA
Reviewed 13 June 2006

We had a lovely two room cottage with a full bath. Breakfast (included) was terrific, eggs plus something different every morning...pancakes, baked apples with cinnamon sauce. The place is quaint, but amenities are up to date. This has to be the best place in Saint George. The owner cared for our needs personally.Right in the heart of the Historic District and with an old fashioned soda shoppe next store. The place is absolutely enchanting. We will return. Arroyo Grande

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Asilo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 February 2006

Our scrapbooking group stayed here four nights earlier this year. What a pleasant experience. The rooms were all unique and actually much nicer than the photos on the Internet. 24-hour-a-day use of the Carriage House area for our seminars and workshops was exactly what we needed for a successful retreat. Can't say enough good things about their staff and management. Even the owners were involved. Don't know how they turned out so many meals for breakfast each morning, but it was delicious as were the catered luncheons and dinners. We've already booked again for next year.

• Stayed February 2006