“Gooey Pie, Sticky Surfaces”
Review of Mom's Cafe

Mom's Cafe
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Salina
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We're 5 minutes away from the worst apple pie the 3 of us have ever eaten (and 2 of us are from Utah). Mom needs to go back to 4H to relearn pie making. Minutely diced apple in a gooey and tasteless corn starch filling with a bulky, heavy crust. Our lunch entrees were passable but the overall experience was dragged down by the horrible pie. A health inspection is recommended due to sticky counter surfaces, table top and restroom door knobs. Servers were brusque. Come to experience the local color not the food.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

If you're wanting a cultural experience, eat here. No, the food isn't healthy or even very good. The Californians all want fresh fruits and nuts which isn't going to happen in the middle of nowhere. But I've had great food (abeit calorie laden) in the middle of nowhere and this isn't it. The wait staff are probably unfriendly. You are in the heart of rural Mormon country. You are more than an outsider, you're a gentile. Read the ratings from people living in Utah that ate here. Totally different story - see UtahLion. Wait staff friendly, smiling, food great. It wasn't an accident that the terrible / poor experiences were vastly different from this reviewer. If you go, chalk this up to a cultural experience, enjoy it and learn.

1  Thank foodiefool_10
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We always look for local places , especially those who say they make home cooked food. There was nothing home cooked about this- fish was old and chewy, veges were from the bottom of the bag, and they even gave us a bottle of honey-butter " flavored" stuff for a fried bread type thing they brought. I mean- you can't mix up honey and butter? Below average, and $30 for lunch for two.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

For many years we would stop in Mom's and buy dinner and lunch. This May we made our annual trip to go fishing at Fish Lake Utah, and stopped in for lunch.

I understand it has a NEW OWNER!

I asked what three menu items she would recommend:
Chicken Fried Steak
Spaghetti Dinner
Prime Rib

Upon inquiring about the spaghetti dinner, the waitress mentioned the new owner is from Italy and makes a great spaghetti dinner with great meat balls, so I ordered the spaghetti. Upon the dinner arriving I noticed there was no meat balls, and she mentioned the meat was in the sauce.
This was the worst spaghetti I have tasted! ( I even ate the Boy Scout cooked and prepared spaghetti from a can and liked it more) The sauces tasted like Ragu sauce and there was no meat. My kids and nephews also mentioned their food didn't taste like it use to from Mom's Cafe. We have been stopping off at Mom's for 20 years, this is our last time.

On our way back through Salina from fishing at Fish Lake, we ate at El Mexicano right by I-70 and loved it! We now have now found a new place to eat in Salina Utah.

4  Thank Kurt O
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

I have ate here several times now & never been disappointed. The food is always great but the service is impeccable. There has never been a time yet that we have not been greeted with smiles & eager to please attitude that you can only find in a small town like Salina, Utah. I have taken clients here before to have breakfast before a business meeting & now they request meeting here first. Thank you Moms Cafe staff for always making this a great stop.

1  Thank UtahLion