“The Perfect "Ski-Bum" or "Ski Snob" Hotel”

Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Los Angeles California
“The Perfect "Ski-Bum" or "Ski Snob" Hotel”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Residence Inn, in Sandy Utah, just outside of Salt Lake City the last week in February and it couldn't have been more perfect! Upon checking in, I asked about Military Rates and we received them, bringing our room down to $99.00 per night. This was for a one bedroom suite, which had a very nice bedroom and bathroom with good closets and drawer space, a full kitchen and living-room with a couch that opened as a bed...also with drawer space in the living-room! It turned out that my cousin joined us for no extra charge! The daily breakfast was excellent and the staff was attentive to keep it replenished with cold and hot cereals, oatmeal, several types of bread: wheat, white, bagels, muffins, etc., eggs, potatoes, sausage--which varied daily, waffles with whip cream and toppings, fresh fruit, juices, coffees, and teas. Children staying always enjoyed the variety of donuts that were available. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening there was a "happy hour" with wine and beer. On Monday they had cocktail hot dogs, Tuesday they had salad and on Wednesday they had meatball sandwiches. These could easily be your dinner, or serve as an appetizer for dinner out.
The location of the hotel was also perfect, as we were there for skiing. It is situated perfectly to ski Alta, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude. We purchased our lift tickets for $65.00 for each resort at the front desk and drove a short distance to the shuttle stop each morning. However I did learn that if you don't have a car they will drop you off each morning and then pick you up when you call....this is fabulous and I will do this the next time I stay there.
The hotel also had a pool and hot tub, but I did not take advantage of this.
Without any reservation, I highly recommend the Residence Inn in Sandy Utah and hope to be back next year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jennifer G, Assistant General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Maxine,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. The members of our team here at the Residence Inn were humbled by your kind remarks and delighted that you have recommended us so highly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Residence Inn--Sandy soon. Until then, we remain at your service.

Travis Lindquist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I've been here TDY several times, and will spend about a month in Sandy over the summer. I booked this months out, because it will be a very comfortable place to "live" for a month. Great staff, usual free breakfast, but better than most Residence I've stayed out - more fruit, more yogart, more selection, period. Location is perfect, with all the food and amentities (Super Target) you need close by.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at the Residence Inn—Sandy. Our staff is extremely pleased that your visit was enjoyable! We are glad that we were able to make your stay comfortable, especially on those longer assignments! We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest the next time you visit the Sandy area!

Travis Lindquist
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We booked this hotel for a family ski vacation. We come to Salt Lake City yearly, so we have stayed at quite a few places. However, we booked late and had to find a new place. This year, the Residence Inn was our choice. The rooms are nice, but very, very dark, and you are right off a freeway, so it can get noisy. We were looking forward to cooking a few meals in the condo, as it is equiped with a full kitchen. YAY! One problem, the fan above the stove wasn't working, stunk up the condo, there weren't any proper cooking pans, not even a baking sheet? I called front desk, as I am sure people put stuff in the oven. What are they suppose to use? Her response. NOPE. we don't have pans.
Luckily, Target is close by, so we went and bought our own pans and supplies. Left them here, so hopefully the next person can use them?
The pool is nice and warm, the hot tub is very hot. The breakfasts are very nice...lacking in healthy options and I cringe seeing everything on disposable styrofoam plates, disposable cutlery, glasses...all thrown in a huge trash can. WHERE IS THE RECYCLING? In fact , we would love to see a Recycling bin in the room, as 90% of our garbage could have been. We are use to recycling everything back home, so this was hard for us- producing so much garbage.

The gym in the main buidling is very small, but the machines are great. I finally found out there was a gym in the second building, which had more choices and much larger. I am a fitness trainer, so I would have liked to have known that they offer access to the Golds Gym...that was never mentioned to us, but I just read it on here.

They had evening cocktails, 3 days of the week- Mon-Tues-Thurs. Ran out of food, and again, most of it was unhealthy, fried, chips, etc...and again, all on disposable dishes. SO we opted to eat in, or out at local restaurants. Lots of eating choices in the area....ask at front desk, as they were very helpful and found us reservations.

Maid service wasn't great. In fact she didn't even come one day. If she does come, she made the beds and gave us new towels. That was it.

The location is great, as you are within walking distance to Target for supplies, and a short walk to a nice mall.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank StephanieinOntario
Jennifer G, General Manager at Residence Inn Salt Lake City Sandy, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review regarding your stay at our hotel. We are always looking for ways to improve our product and service and I really appreciate your comments. I will share your feedback with our team members at our next staff meeting. I hope you enjoyed your vacation in Sandy and wish you all the best! Sincerely, Jennifer
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The staff was so generous and caring of our families needs. We loved the pool hot tub and the hotel has two gyms. We even used free gym passes to the local Gold's Gym. The food and shopping within 3 miles is awesome. And the city was fun to navigate and play in! Can't wait to visit Sandy Residence Inn in the future! Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms are all large and spacious. Great way to feel like your home and maintain your lifestyle!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel with my son on a skiing holiday. I had booked a single room suite with the expectation than my son would use the sofa bed. My impressions of the hotel were immediately raised when I was offered a two bedroom suite.
The rooms are a good size, given they are part of a suite with a seperate living room/kitchen/diner they are even spacious. Each room had its own bathroom and wash basin. One of the rooms could be described as the master room being slightly larger and having a larger vanity area. The other room was still ample in size and had the desk and network connection. There is wireless connectivity in the room but the signal strenght was not strong. I had to use the network cable in the bedroom to gain a robust connection good enough for Skype.
The kitchen liked new and was equipped with sufficient kitchen paraphernalia to prepare a reasonable meal.
There are televisions in each room.
Overall the hotel is well presented with a generous breakfast buffet. The evening buffets are somewhat more limited and quantities were limited compared to other Residence Inn's I have stayed at.
My only criticism would be that I felt the swimming pool water and the Jacuzzi had not been properly filtered. Not badly so just slightly off clear.
Overall a fantastic stay. I will be returning next time I am in Salt lake for skiing. Access and convenience to ski areas and airport is excellent. 20 mins to either.

• Stayed February 2012
Whitewater, Colorado
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We spent a Friday & Saturday night at the RI in early February. The room was exceptionally quiet, spacious and clean. The complimentary breakfast was fine, except for some stale baked goods.

What surprised us was how many stores & restaurants are within a mile or so from the hotel. You can literally find anything you want. Dinner at McGrath's Fish House was outstanding!

In our opinion, Sandy is a much nicer area than downtown SLC, and we now have a great place to stay when we return, which we surely will.

Room Tip: Weekend nights are much more affordable than weekday. Ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colorado_Rick
Elk Grove, California, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Residence Inn. It had everything that I and my party needed. We had two requirements when we looked for a place to stay. The requirements were a heated pool for the kids and a complimentary Breakfast. The pool was perfectly warm and indoors which was prefect for our winter stay. The breakfast was good with lots of choices. It also changed a little from day to day. It was nice to know that you didn't have to eat the same thing every day. But if you only wanted cereal hot or cold that was always available. Our rooms were very nice as well. We had a nice big king bed with a very nice mattress. It wasn't too firm or too soft. It was prefect for me as a nursing mom. Easy to do my night time feedings and safe for baby. The suite had nice sized flat screen TV's in the living area and in the bedroom. My husband really enjoyed the channels available. They had the Discovery, History and the Speed channel. The kitchen was beautiful and new. It had a full size stove and range. This was great for cooking big family meals. The dining area was also very accommodating. One night my family wanted to order out and needed a place large enough for us all to get together and eat. They let us pull many tables together and eat in the dining, breakfast area. They even opened the juice bar up so the kids could have some juice. I was very happy with my stay and would stay there again on my next visit to Utah.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and were very happy with our location.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family