“A Diamond in the Rough”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Sandy
Pickerington
“A Diamond in the Rough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel has great potential. It is surrounded by other hotels that are alot pricier but right now, you are getting what you paid for. The rate is low which is nice if you aren't spending a whole lot of time at the hotel. We were in town for a week to see our new grandson so basically were just sleeping at the hotel. I think with a major customer service training session, it could make a big difference. The staff seems young and inexperienced and doesn't represent the hotel well with first impressions. Be it an employee talking loudly on the phone complaining about a guest (which it did sound like the guest was being unreasonable, still shouldn't happen) to friends dropping off ice cream cones to another front desk clerk. The guests seem to be second thoughts. Towels need major overhaul as very thin and torn to some degree.

We didn't get the housekeeping service and it wasn't the least bit of a problem to trade in the towels or get additional toilet paper. The shower was one of the best ones i've ever had heat and pressure wise, but they do need to get shower curtain liners as no matter how much we tried, it always seemed to look out the sides.

They could really use the option of buying bags of ice or provide ice machines as ice sitting in the trays gets stale and couldn't use.

The breakfast is more than adequate for a fast, quick meal but they really need to watch clearing it away early and making sure there is plenty of coffee throughout the breakfast time since the coffee is really the main feature.

Hotel has slight odors but that is due to people cooking i'm sure so nothing can be done about it and wasn't overly annoying, and didn't travel into our room.

Bed was adequate but not overly plush but again, feel you get what you pay for. If you aren't going to be lounging around the hotel, it's absolutely perfect. I think with a little more "polishing" it could be a great place to stay in this part of the area as there is alot around (bags of ice at Conoco at the corner) and has easy access to the highway.

I guess if it got alot better though, price would go up so this is good if you want to save some money. Beware of panhandlers which i guess has gotten a lot worse since we've lived there and my husband was trying to be a good samaritan and gave $1 to one on the corner and then inquired about his "hard luck" and heard a story about the government taking half his check for child support, etc... we did have a good laugh about though the rest of the week but wanted to warn.

Room Tip: Choose higher floor for less noise. Elevator is fast.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank julietravelut
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of customer service displayed by some members of our staff. I will meet with the entire staff to review our guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Seattle, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Exactly what you would expect with an Extended Stay. The location is great. Right off 15 and easy to get to. FedEx Kinko's is two blocks away. So is a Staples. Good shopping around. There is a men's warehouse and Nordstrom's rack. Walking distance to a Starbucks and other restraints.

The hotel was semi clean. I would suggest washing the dishes before you use them. If you need more shampoo or soap you can ask for it at the front desk. We had the fire alarm go off the second day I was there. The hotel decided to test the system the next day and afterwards the manager called each room to check in. Very friendly staff. Overall, a nice stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed our great location and our friendly staff during your visit with us. Still, I apologize if the cleanliness of your dishes did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review our cleaning standards and procedures to ensure this does not happen in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

I think the staff recieves a lot of complaints. they hide behind the corner. you've gotta holler for them to come out. they usually seem stressed and dont want to bother with the guests. nor do they like to answer the phone. the rooms are pretty tacky. our blinds were ripped up, and the white lamp shades were all stained. the kitchen doesnt come with a spatula or a sponge our toilet broke and there was toilet water everywhere, the maintenance man never came. it was broken for two days until finally the manager came and fixed it. it was gross cleaning the toileet water up because if you want a new towell you have to bring back your old ones so I was transporting dirty toilet water towells back and forth. And the washer and dryers are $2 each! positive things... um the manager was nice to us after the toilet broke. there is a kitchen. they have a little grab and go breakfast.it is relatively cheap.

Room Tip: any room that ends in 15 is larger than the others
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Bethany - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize for your experience including the level of cleanliness in your room, maintenance issues and the level of professionalism displayed by members of our staff during your stay. Please know, I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Also, I will meet with our entire staff to review our guest protocol and maintenance policies so that these issues do not affect our future guests.

If you would like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly at, sls@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Sandy hotels

Sandy, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I found a great deal online and was really excited about my stay at first. Then I got to the hotel they gave me my room key, I went up to my room and they had not cleaned it yet. I then went back down stairs and had to redo my paper work to be put into a different room. This room had a very leaky sink and I have called every day of my stay and they have promised to send someone the following day to fix it... Needless to say it still leaks. On top of that you have to take cold showers because if you turn on the slightest bit of hot water the pipes squeal and hiss and the walls of the bath tub shake, it's a terrifying experience really. I'm convinced it's not safe and it made my child cry. And that goes for everyone in the hotel. So if your neighbor is getting ready at 4 in the morning then you get to hear the awful pipes squeel while you are trying to sleep. Also don't stay here if you actually want a grab and go breakfast because every time I have gone down to get something everything has been gone. Also if you want "free" wifi speeds that are fast enough to use you will have to pay extra. And one last negative comment, the customer service sucks. Every time I take my towels to get new ones they act like it is a total inconvenience and waste of their time. However the rooms are a good size and the beds are nice and it is nice to have a kitchen, but I won't stay at this location again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank KennieAG
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Kennie - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I am glad that you found your room to be spacious and that you enjoyed your fully equipped kitchen. Still, I apologize that your room was not properly cleaned before your arrival. As well, I am sorry to hear about your leaking sink and the loud pipes in your shower. Lastly, I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast, our free Wi-Fi and our customer service did not meet your expectations. I will be meeting with our staff to review your comments and will work to ensure your experience is not repeated.

I am grateful for your feedback, as it will allow us to continue to improve our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at sls@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked a night here through a travel website and got a great deal. The hotel is located near a number of shops and restaurants and in a nice neighborhood. Also near the Sandy REI store. The interior is very clean and welcoming and the front staff were helpful. The room was pleasant and just what I need for the night. For an extended stay it would have been a great room with a small kitchenette, though I was just here for the night so didn't really take advantage of it.

There is a morning breakfast, though somewhat limited, but still a few nice things to choose from. Overall, very happy with my stay here. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 117 which was a little loud since the trash door was across the hall and people kep...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, helpful staff and our clean hotel. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be helpful as we continue to improve our breakfast offering. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My room was also guaranteed but when I got there after a 6 hour drive they were "overbooked" for the first night and they sent me to their sister property up the road. I understand that they were remodeling both facilities but, neither common areas were well cared for during the remodel. When I went to check back in at the first place, no one was available at the desk for over 10 min. The only thing wrong with the room itself was that when you turn the hot water on in the shower for both properties the pipes put up a very loud racket. (so loud the person in the bedroom can't hear the TV)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank awallacenevada
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that we were overbooked and you had to stay at our sister property for a night. Our renovations are almost over, which will allow us to return to our high standards of service and cleanliness. As well, I am sorry for the noise you encountered from the bathroom faucet. I discussed your comments with our team and we are working to make sure these problems don’t happen again in the future.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me at ksavelieva@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Fresno, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I made a reservation the day before arrival with Bianca who assured me of my reservation the next day and guaranteed it with my credit card. After a 14-hour drive, I arrive and Bianca tells me that she gave my room away and they were overbooked. She wanted to send me to another hotel 20 minutes away which wouldn't work for me because I was doing a show at South Town Hall. Poor, Poor, excuse for customer service. I will NEVER stay at Extended Stay America ever.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Troy N Debi F
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that we had problems with your reservation. Unfortunately we did get overbooked and did have to walk you to a sister location. I am so very sorry that this happened. This is not how we normally operate. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to do more front desk training to ensure that we are not having similar situations happening to other guests.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at SLS@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandy
BEST WESTERN PLUS CottonTree Inn
Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Sandy
Sleep Inn South Jordan
Sleep Inn South Jordan
#3 of 4 in South Jordan
Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City / Sandy
Hyatt House Salt Lake City/Sandy

Been to Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy? Share your experiences!