“Actually I see some interesting improvement in the surroundings”
Review of The Philadelphian

The Philadelphian
Ranked #42 of 230 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: Fast food, Soups
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This is my favorite sandwich place. NEVER disappointed with the quality or the taste. Price is very reasonable for what you get.
I am a little worried though as they seem to be keeping the place much more tidy than they have in the past. That might mean more customer and that might mean I have to wait for a sandwich or a table. I really thought they had replaced the carpet, however I was told they have it cleaned on a schedule now.
Go hungry, leave full and satisfied :) YUMMY

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Sandy is my hometown but I now live in Washington so there are certain things that I really miss and make me feel like I’m home when we visit and this place it one of them. I love their turkey, avocado and sprout with the works, but my husband would crawl the 900+ miles on hand and knee for their hot combo. We part ways on the fries or chips (English style fries) but neither of us are willing to share anyway ;) so it’s all good.
Their only low point is their onion rings, but there are so many other yummy options that it’s not a total lose. As a side note, don't let the appearance fool you, the restaurant may not look great, but the food soooo is!

The other PLUS is they are open on Sunday, and if you live in or visit Utah, you'll know how great this really is!

Reviewed 18 April 2013

The Philadelphian is delicious and inexpensive. I mean really, it's absolutely delicious if you love greasy-spoon food.

The fries are the best part. A "regular" fry will feed 2 people easily, 3 if you're those skinny folk. The fry sauce is delicious. You can't go wrong with the classy philly cheese sandwhich, although some people like the bbq sandwich too.

They'll make your sandwhich any way you want, with any toppings you like. There's really nothing wrong with the food.

Now the downsides:
The Salt Lake Valley Health department is there every other week (Google: 'Salt Lake Valley Health Restaurant inspections' and search for the philadelphian - you're welcome).

Sometimes you look at the cooks and wonder "I wonder if that guy has all his shots?" - but he is a super nice guy, as is the ol' lady behind the counter taking orders.

Nothing is sanitary. Absolutely nothing. There is rodent poop in the pantries (health inspections record), the bathroom looks like a bio-weapon waiting to happen. The fry sauce is delicious, but the bottles they're kept in are sometimes stored on top of the garbage can, and never, ever, ever get wiped off.

The soda machine has fuzzies growing on it (It's a little cleaner since the county shut the soda machines down last year). The ice usually has crap on it because they don't clean the inside of the bin. The walls of the whole restaurant are filthy disgusting. They're hairy, dirty, food particles... it's like the cabinet above your stove at home, except no one has ever, ever, ever cleaned it.

That being said... I've eaten there probably 15 times and I've never gotten sick, and it's always delicious. Reading the county reviews has made me weary, so I don't go as often as i used to.

If you're the type to bungee jump or skydive, and you also love great food, this could very well be your next great adventure.

Unfortunately, because of the condition of the restroom and kitchen, it could also be your last adventure.

4  Thank 358RyanC
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Yes it is a typical greasy spoon. I don't know they have cleaned last. How do they pass their food inspections? Are they paying the state inspectors off with a Phlly. When you order, order by phone run in and pick your order without looking at the floor and behind the counter and where they store their food. The sandwiches are excellent..... There fries could be excellent if they didn't take their freshly cut fries directly out of the bucket of water and dump the fries and a ton of water into their fryers.(oh by the way I don't the shortning has every been changed and the fryers cleaned.) Onion rings are ALL BATTER. THE FILTERS ABOVE THE GRILL AND FRYER DON'T EVER APPEAR TO HAVE CLEANED.It smells like grease everywhere. IN MY OPPINION THE STATE HEALTH INSPECTOR SHOULD FIRED.....CLEAN IT UP OR SELL THE BUSINESS TO SOME THAT WILL. (YOU MIGHT WANT TO WATCH RESTAURANT IMPOSSIBLE OR RESTAURANT INSPECTOR ON Satelite TO SEE HOW THE BACK OF RESTAURANT SHOULD LOOK.......

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Yes it is a typical greasy spoon. They have painted and cleaned up and it still smells like grease.
But...there are times when I NEED one of the sandwiches! Also, some people like the tiny stick like fries they sell at other places, and sometimes I do to. But when you feel the need for the thick greasy fries mixed with the little crunchy ones with lots of fry sauce, this is the place you go. The service is a little slow too. Still wondering why I go? The sandwiches are full of meat and not just the little bits of meat at some places. Go for the philly's and fries. Get it to go if you need to, but try it out. Price is a little high, but you get lots to eat.

2  Thank Scott-Melody