“Nice place with good prices and friendly owners/managers”
Review of Scipio Hotel

Scipio Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scipio
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Nice people running this establishment with very fair prices. Very clean rooms with fairly updated appointments. The kind folks running it said they were going to start providing optional home-cooked meals at dinner. That would be nice since the only alternatives were Subway and Dairy Queen. The continental breakfast had good bagels in addition to the normal cereal, yogurt and fruit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 February 2013

Having stayed here when it was owned by a prior national chain, I can say that not much has changed. It is still a convenient, clean, well managed property. It isn't fancy but meets my needs - a reliable, safe, comfortable place to stay on my way from Salt Lake to southern Utah. The manager is very personable and kind - he gave me an unadvertised discount without my asking.
The room was impeccably clean-No dust, no odor, no stains, no residue in the bathroom. The appliances were all in good working order. The decor and furniture wasn't fancy but appropriate for the rent. There are pet-friendly rooms for an additional $15. For the price, this place is a bargain. I would stay here in the future.
I have a couple of recommendations. One is too improve the signage - I knew where to look off the highway because I had been here before, but the sign is small, dark brown, and behind the hotel so it doesn't stand out. Secondly, the hotel's website is not secure, so I was uncomfortable making reservations on line.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Xorreaux
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We arrived in the evening at this quiet friendly hotel.This hotel was very clean and the owners were very nice. It is a friendly clean family owned hotel. Would defiantly recommend this hotel. We stayed on December 7 2012. The room was one of the cleanest we have stayed in on our two week vacation. We were passing through the area when we found it. They had a guest washer and dryer which were both clean and close to the room. They also had a nice breakfast including cereal, coffee, juice, toast, oatmeal, and breakfast rolls. Overall a great clean place at a great value. We have been on vacation for twelve days and by far one of the best we stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Kylegogel
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We stopped in at the Scipio hotel because of a huge snowstorm on the way to Moab and spent a couple of nights before the mountains cleared up. We could not ask for more. The price was right, the rooms were very clean and freshly painted, and the owners (Clint and Melanie) were so kind and great hosts. Melanie even surprised us and cleaned the snow off our car. This is the type of hard-working family hotel that is hard to find these days.

They offer a simple but good home-cooked dinner option that hit the spot. You can eat either in your room or in the lobby. The continental breakfast was standard, but solid with no complaints. Local eating options are limited to the Dairy Queen and the Subway in local gas stations. The pool was closed for repairs when we were there, but they have a sign that says that at check-in.

I think this used to be a Super 8 motel, if that comes up on your GPS. The owners bought it a little while back. For the price, what you get in terms of cleanliness and service is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gene K
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My Husband procured this lodging for my friend and myself... The owner was the desk clerk for the evening and was very nice and very accomodating... This is a very clean hotel, which is family operated and one to be proud of... Has a quaint continental breakfast, but nicely done... The hospitality of the Scipio Hotel was truly a comfort...... It is also rare for the clerk or owner to offer help with luggage... Fab...

Room Tip: Did not use a resturaunt here.... Could not leave the resturant box empty after I put a dot on it...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank derkattzenvomen
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My wife and I were on the way home to Los Angeles from Provo when an urgent need for Internet service came up. Clint and Melanie, the hotel's managers, accommodated us without any conditions. Their kindness brought great joy to us and we felt as if we were best friends for ages from the first time we met. We didn't have time to stay the night but surely we will return to visit this paradise of a valley. Central Utah's scenery has always been the most attractive to me, I hope to break away from Southern California's madness to spend some time there to reflect. I now know exactly where to stay.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank docster6
Reviewed 23 September 2012

After a long day of driving, we checked in about 10 pm, ate some sandwiches we'd brought, and got ready for bed. That was when we discovered that the toilet handle mechanism was broken and the only way to flush was to reach into the tank and manually lift the stopper. The bathroom sink stopper was missing. How can housekeeping miss these things??? The beds were reasonably comfortable; the pillows were not. Before leaving, we checked the breakfast and decided to eat elsewhere. The gallon jug of milk was sitting out on the counter unrefrigerated. Overall, the place is quite dated--bedding, furniture, TV, general decor. The check-in and check-out staff were friendly. It was nice to be able to bring our well-behaved dog with us.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scipio
Best Western Paradise Inn & Resort
Comfort Inn & Suites Fillmore
Gunnison Inn
Gunnison Inn
#1 of 2 in Gunnison

Been to Scipio Hotel? Share your experiences!