“The Best Mex in Utah”

Description: Authentic mexican food
Salt Lake City, Utah
“The Best Mex in Utah”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've been eating at this place ( a local chain) since they were in a tiny strip mall in Orem, UT - 1984. The food has been consistent the whole time. The salsa is fresh, chunky and just the right spiciness, with none of that chili powder taste that makes salsa seem cheap to me. The only time in 28 years that I've been disappointed was once when they served my favorite dish - Tacos de Carnitas - on flour tortillas. The chicken enchiladas have green sauce, the tacos use real corn tortillas, the rellenos are outstanding. They have a great menu of traditional mexican (MEXICAN) dishes, and we are often the only gringos in the place. I really could not say enough about what this family has done with their chain, and I wish them the greatest success in the future. I am a fan for life.

• Visited March 2012

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Not the place it use to be, save your money!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My wife and I went there to have dinner and to have a couple drinks but we should have gone somewhere else. The waitress got our chips and salsa right when we got there and got us our drinks than we ordered our food. It took forever to get our food and my order was simple but my wife ordered Tostada Grande which was horrible. The tortilla was buried and all the chicken was at the bottom but the worst thing it was runny and water logged. It was like they never drained the water before they put it on her plate. I never knew a tostada was that runny or soggy? I ordered the burrito and tostada and my tostada wasn’t soggy and it was crisp. Also, there margaritas are now $2 and they come in a really small glass which is like a couple of sips. BTW, After we got our meal, we never saw our waitress again and it wasn't busy. We had to go up and ask for our bill and a to go box. Save your money and go somewhere else.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Utah_traveler99
Murray, Utah
“Can't be beat for a great lunch!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

$6.99 for a beef and bean burrito with rice that fills you up? It's one of the power lunch specials and it's great. Combine that with $1 margaritas and how can you go wrong. Sure the drinks are small, but they probably have the same amount of tequila as a large one. This is Utah remember.

The service is great. The food is great. And the prices are very reasonable. What more do you want? We've eaten there about 12 times and it has always been a pleasure.

• Visited September 2012
Lehi, Utah
“Dollar Margarita's!!!”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

and yes they have tequila in them. LOL
This is a fantastic mexican restaurant. We have girls night there at least once every other month. Their appetizers will feed a small army, so it's a great place to go if you have more than a few people to feed. The individual plates are plentyful as well. You can seriously order for one and just ask for an extra plate and feed two people. I'd recommend this place to anyone. But ps...they don't have the coupons in City Weekly anymore, which is really a shame.

• Visited June 2012
SLC, UT
“Great Food, Service, and Environment”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My husband and I often drove past this State Street restaurant and did not given it a second thought due to the location, but then found their coupon in the City Weekly (buy one get one free) and decided to give it a try. We've been back six or seven times in the past year. The food is here consistently good--homemade family recipes--with the right amount of spice and huge portions. The service is always excellent and the one time that they messed up my husband's order they gave us a free flan. I've never had to wait to be seated, which is a welcome change after having to wait 30+ minutes every time we go to Red Iguana.

The chips are super light and freshly fried when they are brought to the table, and the salsa has a slight sweetness and full of finely chopped onions and cilantro. I recommend the chili verde burritos with pork or the chile rellenos. They also serve $1 margaritas, which I wouldn't recommend (there is tequila in there, but it is heavy on the margarita mix).

• Visited October 2011