“Sundance was amazing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sundance
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
“Sundance was amazing”
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We live in New England and have skiied all around the Northeast, Colorado, and even Europe, but had never been to Utah. My wife and I decided decided to join some good friends to go skiing in Utah (2/08). After we had booked the trip, I was excited to tell people of our plans. When I told people we were going to Utah ...they would ussually ask, "where are you staying Park City? Deer Valley?..". when I told them Sundance Resort they ussually repsonded by saying ..oh thats a smaller place isn't it ....more of a family mountain.

I had been on to various web sites and I knew we would not be dissapointed by the food ( 4 stars restraunt on site) but I have to admit I was a bit concerned I was going to be spending my ski vacation on the bunny slope (not the most challenging of terrain). So that I would get a feel for other resorts in Utah (and what we might be missing for terrain) we actually planned to ski the day we arrived at Park City then drive down to Sundance that night.

We arrived on a Thursday morning, we went directly to Park City. We skiied the afternoon at Park City, the mountain was huge, conditions were great and there were alot of people around. The base layout was a bit confusing, the slopes were full of people but in general a good day of skiing.

Thursday night our arrival at Sundance Resort was a bit delayed by an avalanch in the pass which was eventually cleared (can't complain about the amount of snow). Friday we awoke to clear blue skies, temps in the high 30s and more snow than I have seen im a long time. By the end of the day I had skiied some of the most challenging terrain in the 35 yrs of skiing (Far East, Red Finger).

We stayed at the Sundance Suites, which was a unit with a bed, sitting area with leather couch and a fire place, a small kitchen and a huge bath with steam shower and whirlpool tub. For less than $300/night peak season we had a rooom with our own fireplace, whirlpool tub and it included 2 list tickets per day and what ever we wanted to order for breakfast from the Foundry Grill Restraunt each moring...it was a great deal.

The staff was nice, everything was run well and very low key. We were on site for four days and never left. It is a compact resort but the 2 restraunts on site were very good, and the Owl bar had live music and a great atmosphere (I only complained about the half beer once).

Overall one of the most beatiful settings of any ski resort I have even been to, great food and accomidations and the best kept secret was the challening terrain. I would highly recommend Sundance as a ski destination.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
ventura, ca.
Reviewed 26 February 2008

We stayed at the Sundance resort while attending the Sundance film festival in January. We found the front desk help to be exemplary, flexible, friendly and absolutely professional, and we had a complicated itinerary with frequent changes in plans, parties, and screening times. Sundance resort is a little less than an hour from the hub of film festival action in Park City. Our cabin was a “Sundance Suite” Mandan cottage-and it had a stunning view of the mountainside that we could enjoy with a glass of wine while watching the snow fall by a warm fire in our room. It doesn’t get any better …..
We purchased the resort’s “epic package” and that included tickets to screenings which are otherwise difficult to obtain. There are film festival competition screenings in the attractive and intimate screening room within the resort. Many people, so I was told, go to the Sundance film festival and are never able to see the films they want to see! With the package you’ll get at least 8 tickets. The skiing is beautiful - maybe not widest selection of hard core runs in Utah but thrilling and awe inspiring scenery from the top and zero lift lines. During our stay a handful of movie stars were spotted, but part of the good vibe there is to get away from the (in my opinion) persistent “film industry wannabe” feel in Park City during the festival. The longer we stayed at Sundance Resort the less we cared about going to the Sundance film festival! The spa’s massage therapist fixed a back pain that I’d had for weeks. Part of the epic package is the opportunity to go snowmobiling with a private guide one hour away - just a blast! Others we met chose to make their own jewelry in the “art shack.” If I had to complain I guess the bathroom was rather small… who cares?...., and there can be a bit of walking. The entire resort is spread out amongst leafy walking trails with footbridges over rocky streams and small waterfalls - all well cleared in the snow. We enjoyed it, but mobility impaired folks would lose some of this pleasant interactivity. If you don’t want to take the 10 minute walk down to dinner just call the front desk and within 5 minutes a young driver is there for you in a Lexus SUV. Round trip private transfer form SLC airport is $180, and you might want to stop off on the way in from the airport to buy wine etc. at the state store, since the cabins have a full kitchen. The Owl Bar was fun and funky. Another warning - the epic package books up early and is expensive. Though it represents, I think, a very good value for what is included, especially in light of the recent Travel and Leisure #2 spot. A Platonic winter vacation!

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
West
Reviewed 8 February 2008

My wife and I recently returned from a very enjoyable stay
at the Sundance resort nestled in the beautiful Northern Utah mountains. We stayed three nights (a long weekend) celebrating our 16th anniversary. What a great time!! It was just what we needed. The accomodations were just as you would expect for this type of resort. We stayed in a very comfortable well maintained cabin with a homey feel. It was a short walk from the cabin to the ski lifts and restaurants, but worth in. I would choose a short walk or drive to the "center of activities" over staying in a high rise concrete hotel with to many people. The food at the restaurants was excellent. I recommend the Foundry Grill, it was delicious! During our stay we met a couple from Minnesota, they ate dinner at the Tree Room and he said it was probably the best meal that he ever had (said he had the buffalo?).
The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. Our room was neatly cleaned upon our return each night.
Don't even get me started on the skiing! WORLD CLASS is all that I can say!!!!!!
I would recommend the Sundance resort to anyone. For the atmosphere, value, scenery, snow, and memories you can't beat it!
Good Times.........

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — maybe to spread out, but it was also a plus
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrialsRider
ketchum, Idaho
Reviewed 28 January 2008

If you have loved SUNDANCE, keep the memories and don't go back!

We have been there four times in the last 4 years and just got back from a stay that was very unpleasant and downright depressing. We will NEVER go back. This is why:

We were in a Mountain Suite (over $600 a night without breakfast), had requested an upstairs for our anniversary and were given a dark low-level condo that was partially buried in snow. Lights were a must to negotiate your way in the condo during daylight ours. Most bulbs were burned out, lampshades were crooked and there was a musty, dead odor in the condo. When we activated our flashlights (never leave home without a headlamp!), we found mouse traps throughout the condo, some had dead mice in them. There was mouse poop on the bed and the pillows, also in the kitchen sink. The down comforters of past years are gone and have been replaced with thin polyester blankets. Overall, the condo looked dark and tired. There were massive water stains in the closets and towels had been placed on the floor inside the closet to absorb standing water.

Dinner was at The Grill, service aloof and short (we had to ask three times to see a wine list), the food uninspired and expensive. On Sunday, we were unable to secure a breakfast reservation - although we were registered guests - we were told that brunch was sold out and that resort guests could purchase food to go at the convenience store.

We have had magical moments at Sundance and deeply regret this experience. We were scheduled to stay for two nights and left after one. The front desk manager was kind enough not to charge us for the room which I thought was very kind. Overall, the resort needs some creative overhaul, detailed staff training and a chef that cares.

Stayed January 2008
5 Thank lagordita
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 25 December 2007

Wow. What beauty and elegance. Lots of ruff-hewn wood, casual elegance, very Redford. A beautiful village at the base of huge inposing mountains on all sides of you. Makes you feel small with the mountains surrounding you. This resort is perfect for a romantic or alone holiday. I came alone and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I took a silversmithing jewelry class in the Art Shack and ended up being the only student- got an hour of uninterrupted time with the artist and a beautiful, created-by-me pendant as a once in a lifetime souvinier. I stayed in one of the least expensive rooms in the Mandan cottages but it was beautiful and all I needed for sure- a queen bed, a beautiful woods view, fluffy robe, and complimentary Sundance slipppers you could take home with you! It was nested in the woods behiind the spa- very quiet, cozy, and warm, and decorated very inviting in a southwestern decor. The Sundance Store was great, lots of neat but expensive treasures, plus sweathirts, tees, and that stuff. The real treat for me as a Redford fan was the hall between the two restaurants that chronicled in words and pictures the entire history and evolution of Sundance- the Redford family, his movies, the film festival and those who became famous because of it, etc. Hundreds of photos and text explaining it all. It was awesome. The food was fabulous- Sunday brunch in the Foundry Grill was included in my room rate and was phenominal and HUGE. I ate dinner in the Owl Bar, as a single I didn't want to go to the Tree Room alone. The Owl Bar was casual, rustic, and very warm and comfortable- had a meal and drinks while sitting around the fireplace chatting with others. Also had a great sandwich upon arrival from the deli- awesome homemade baked goods too! The beauty and grandeur of this place is absolutely breathtaking-a river runs through the whole property and the new fallen snow during my time there was incredible. One can understand after seeing this spot why Redford bought up the whole place upon his first visit there. Just go, you'll get it. What a beautful place created by a visionary man.

• Liked — cottages in woods, isolated and quiet, beautiful views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank Shari C
DC
Reviewed 6 December 2007

You'll have a beautiful stay as long as you don't need the help of their staff and/or nothing goes wrong (like the heat in your room doesn't work)... if something goes wrong, watch out - the most obnoxious, unhelpful staff we've ever come across.

• Stayed November 2007
3 Thank greenb7
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 November 2007

My trip to Sundance Resort was brief. You can visit for the day just to breathe it all in. I decided to stay overnight after having an incredible dinner with charming, attentive service at the Foundry Grill. The decision to stay came after having a glass of wine with dinner: it is not advisable to navigate the mountain in the dark, especially after a long day, a great dinner, and alcohol. The desk clerk accomodated a lesser rate, the bellman was friendly and knowledgeable, the servers at the Grill were wonderful.
The room was warm, inviting, and romantic in a natural not frilly sort of way--over just incredible. I just wanted to know when I could move in. I am going back as soon as I can figure it into my schedule. An overnight stay out of curiousity (and a flight too early to enjoy even breakfast) is just not enough.

• Liked — Comfortable and inviting
  • Disliked — I didnt get to stay long enough
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sundance
Stein Eriksen Lodge Deer Valley
Hotel Park City, Autograph Collection
Hyatt Centric Park City
Hyatt Centric Park City
#6 of 60 in Park City

Been to Sundance Resort? Share your experiences!