“Great Hotel- excellent location”
Review of Red Ledges Inn

Red Ledges Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
Reviewed 2 October 2007

We loved this hotel. It is located next to Bryce canyon and the escalante Grand Staircase National Monument. We stayed three days and loved all our time there. Everything is so beautiful. We want to go back and see more of the area. Our room was wonderful and the service was great.

2  Thank topsash

Reviewed 28 September 2007

My wife and I recentlt syated at the motel for one night. When we pulled up at 8 PM in the evening, there were a number of guests outside their rooms leaning over the balcony. I thought this was rather strange until we entered our room and tried to cool it off using the room A/C unit. The unit would not provide any cold air and I guess this was a similar problem in many rooms and that was why people were outside their rooms in the cool night air. Thr furniture and amenities in the room were fine, however when we used the shower we both had the same experience. The water would go from scaulding to cold no matter were we set the temperature controlm, making it almost impossible to take a shower. The room comes with continental breakfast which is served across the parking lot in another building. This building also sells breakfast items to people not staying a the hotel. The space is very cramped with only a few tables. The breakfast items are spewed over several counters and along the opposite wall. This area is about 6' by 6' with at least 10 people at a time trying to figure this all out and get their breakfast. Some little signs say this part of the breakfast and other items which are don't have signs. There is a large counter with fresh baked muffins and sweatrolls but these are not part of the Continental breakfast. I wound up having a bagle and a piece of fruit. But most people had cereal and skipped the fruit because it was tucked away in a corner and not very well labeled as part of the breakfast. Because of the problems with the A/C unit and the shower temperature value, I would not stay here again our recommend it.

2  Thank Suppo28
Reviewed 27 September 2007

I often use this site when planning trips, but never posted a hotel review before because English is my second language. However, this hotel was so terrible that I decided to warn potential guests.
Our room was located in a building on a back of the parking lot with the view of the dusty trailer park and yard filled with garbage through our dirty window. The furniture was shabby, our bed didn’t even had a second nightstand, the bathroom walls were covered with rust and cracks and its floor had hair and crumbs on it; towels were dirty pinkish. The worst of all was an awful overwhelming chemical smell inside the building. Probably, owners are trying to cover up the odor of dirt and decay. Even we came there around 7 p.m . after a long day and wanted to rest, the whole thing was so bad that we couldn’t stay. We opened windows and left to Ruby’s Inn I’ve read about, but couldn’t get a room, because it was fully booked couple months in advance. After spending an evening in a nice restaurant and lobby there we drove back late at night about 8 miles in complete darkness on unfamiliar mountain road; it wasn’t fun. The smell didn’t get better and I got a headache the next morning. Probably, it was harmful. What if we had children with us?
We like traveling and we never came across such a hole that cost us around $100.00. I would advise fellow travelers to increase the speed while passing by this “Highway Robbery in action” not to be poisoned by chemicals they use on their property.

1  Thank 2TravelersNJ
Reviewed 23 September 2007

It is a passable option for those staying in the Bryce area. The room was older, but clean. The staff was friendly. The wireless Internet access was slow. We did have problems with the hot water from the showerhead the first night that weren't addressed after being brought up to the staff, but resolved itself by the morning. Lastly, we had no problem with our reservation, but witnessed a customer attempting to check in with their reservation lost. I would recommend calling ahead, as I did earlier in the day, to confirm.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I booked a room at this hotel about 6 weeks in advance using the chain's website. I got a confirmation number and an email message. When I arrived at the motel, the hotel was fully booked and they had no record of my reservation. Whether this was the fault of the chain or the motel is unclear. The motel did the best they could under the circumstances and found me a decent room at the Grand Staircase in the metropolis of Cannonville (pop. 156). Fortunately, it's past the peak season, so it was possible to find this room, but people considering this property should double check their reservations.

Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2007

We arrived there in the evening and then had to wait for our keys for half an hour since a former guest had kept them and then nobody had cared about new guests arriving and needing keys...

We were located in the newly built rooms which looked like barns with all the pressboard. The locks of all the rooms in the corridor were clotted with chewing gum turning the keys there war really awful!

The rooms were new, terribly small, cheply furnished, an old rag lay in the bath to clean the shoes or remove the makeup... yuk!

We were given the wrong room with just one bed and they brought in the roller bed which was in a terrible state! Nobody would have slept in it!

Breakfast was moderate, but OK. The guys at the ceck-in and the check-out were really slow.

This is just my personal view of the hotel. It wasn't too expensive, I admit, but I was staying there in August 2006 and it had deteriorated a lot since then. It was really OK in 2006, that was why we went there again.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank USA2007
Reviewed 19 August 2007

The people at the hotel were very friendly both when I booked over the phone and during our stay however they have an issue with their hot water which I think needs urgent attention and I'm not sure was taken seriously. The shower changes from being at an ambient temperature to boiling/burning hot in a second for no apparent reason (this is nothing to do with someone turning on a cold tap/faucet or flushing the toilet) this happened to both me and my husband so we did not allow the children to take a shower. Later in the day the hot water ran out completely!
I reported these 2 things to the girl at the desk who was kind and concerned but evidently this is a much bigger problem and there was little she could do.
Generally the hotel is well placed with some nice views, it has a convenient laundromat downstairs and a nice gift shop and eateries next door.
We had arrived here having had 5 days camping/rafting in Canyonlands and a good wash was all we really wanted! The water situation is serious as someone may be burnt if it is not addressed. If travellers can be assured that this was a temporary problem then overall I would say that it was a comfortable and pleasant stop-over if a bit expensive for what it delivers.

Stayed: June 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
Best Western Plus Ruby's Inn
#1 of 1 in Cannonville
Bryce Canyon Pines
Bryce Canyon Pines
#2 of 6 in Bryce

Been to Red Ledges Inn? Share your experiences!