“Friendly place but dangerous showers!”
Review of Red Ledges Inn

Red Ledges Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Tropic
Reviewed 19 August 2007

The people at the hotel were very friendly both when I booked over the phone and during our stay however they have an issue with their hot water which I think needs urgent attention and I'm not sure was taken seriously. The shower changes from being at an ambient temperature to boiling/burning hot in a second for no apparent reason (this is nothing to do with someone turning on a cold tap/faucet or flushing the toilet) this happened to both me and my husband so we did not allow the children to take a shower. Later in the day the hot water ran out completely!
I reported these 2 things to the girl at the desk who was kind and concerned but evidently this is a much bigger problem and there was little she could do.
Generally the hotel is well placed with some nice views, it has a convenient laundromat downstairs and a nice gift shop and eateries next door.
We had arrived here having had 5 days camping/rafting in Canyonlands and a good wash was all we really wanted! The water situation is serious as someone may be burnt if it is not addressed. If travellers can be assured that this was a temporary problem then overall I would say that it was a comfortable and pleasant stop-over if a bit expensive for what it delivers.

Stayed: June 2007

Reviewed 15 August 2007

Our reservation had been made 5 months ago from Europe, direct by the America best value inn web site!
After a 8 hours drive, we arrived around 9 30pm at the hotel; a teen ager was at the front desk. The young person, totally unexperimented, couldn't find our reservation neither with our name nor with our credit card nummer! We still din't know if she really was able to use a computer but she answered us right away that our reservation had been cancelled!!!!!!!!!!! By who and when, she was unable to say anything about it . Other people came after us and they got their rooms. I suppose the young lady wished we went away in the dark with our three children just like that... We had to insist, to say it was impossible our reservation had been cancelled. We wanted to see the manager but we couldnt even call her by phone as we asked for! After a moment as we didn't want to leave the place ,the young person at the desk proposed us another room only for one night, as we needed 2, and we had to pay extra for it! So we had to pay for another room, much smaller available just for one night as we made a reservation fo 2 nights in a double queen bed! ! As our children were exshausted , we took this room. We arrived at he door with all of our suitcases and we tried to open the door with the key; Impossible to open ! Someone was already sleeping in the room and was totally scarry because we tried to open the door!
At 11 pm, completely despaired, we had to find en "emergency room" in Tropic in another place with the children crying......
We went and see the manager the morning after and told her about our story. In fact our room had not been cancelled, but the young person was not able to do properly her work... Why was she then left alone with the responsabilities of the customers?The morning after, we came back as we promissed to meet the manager, who saued she didn't no about our problem. We told her about what happened, she just apologised lightly, but didn't propose anything else and more, we had to insist not to pay the price of the ungiven room, because we were still registered in the computer and they couldn't have charge us for the ungiven room, just as if we didn't come!!!!! THE REAL NIGHT MARE OF OUR HOLIDAYS!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank fatherandmother
Reviewed 13 July 2007

I was actually surprisingly pleased with the quality of the room and service at Bryce Valley Inn. It was very clean and comfortable and although the room itself was a bit dated, the bed, furniture, television and all looked brand new. The staff wasn't very cheerful but then again I did arrive about 2 minutes before closing time. But they still catered to my needs without complaint. If I ever have the chance to go back, I'll definitely return to the Bryce Valley Inn

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MEGREG
Reviewed 8 July 2007

A terrible choice and poor AAA listing. This place is run by gum chewing teenagers at the front desk with the Gen Manager MIA. The rooms are old and dingy with poor lighting. Half the laundry machines were broken and there was a long wait while local residents competed for their use. The on-site handyman did little but look, tinker and say he would check back later. The parking lot is a dusty, gravel lot with very large propane and other fuel tanks outside one side of the building, along with a smelly horse corral. The free continental breakfast is adequate and offered next door in a cleaner restaurant. One word of caution, if you arrive after 11 PM, the front desk is closed and your key will be in an envelope with your name on it, taped to the locked front door of the office - Big Security Problem here.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 26 June 2007

There are very limited choices for lodging and dining in the Bryce Canyon area. We stayed here two nights in June and had a pleasant stay. The room was ample size, it has a small refrigerator and the hotel is in a very rural area. There is a general store, gas station and restaurant on the premises. A continental breakfast was included. The hotel is an older one but the room was clean enough and the bed was firm. it is convenient to Bryce Canyon and I would recommend taking the scenic drive on Highway 12 to Boulder.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Krusj
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Stayed here right before Memorial Day. I wanted to stay at Ruby's Inn , but was already booked two months prior to our staying, so were the other lodges located closer to Bryce Np. I was concerned about staying here, but did not want a long drive to and from the park, so I decided to give it a try. Booked a king executive suite that they said had just been redone. The room was pricey around 100 dollars. The room was nice and I could tell it had been rececntly renovated. The room had a very musty smell to it. We put on the a/c and eventually it got better. I dont know if I got used to the smell or it did actually go away. The hallways were in desperate need of a vaccuum on both nights of our stay. The room was large and had a small sofa and the bedding was very smart. I really cant say exactly what it is, but there was something about the place that did not sit well with me. The breakfast choices were limited, but I dont like to complain about that because it is free. I would not say to not stay here, but I would definetly try one of the other lodging closer to the park instead if they were available.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lg49
Reviewed 8 September 2006

This was one of the least favourite hotels we stayed in on our tour round Grand Canyon country, and also not one of the cheapest. We had the same experience as another reviewer, of being charged more than the internet quote. When I queried it, they were apologetic and changed to the quoted rate with no problem.
I can confirm that there is a small trailer park out the back. Not very scenic from our bedroom window.
The hotel definitely needs updating. Ancient tele with no remote control, and the ice-machine wasn't working when we were there.
Having said all that, there didn't seem to be any where else much to stay within a reasonable distance from Bryce National Park for the price. It was ok for just a couple of nights.

Stayed: August 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
Best Western Plus Ruby's Inn
#1 of 1 in Cannonville
Bryce Canyon Pines
Bryce Canyon Pines
#2 of 6 in Bryce

Been to Red Ledges Inn? Share your experiences!