“Cute cabins, not bad.”

Bryce Canyon Country Cabins
Seattle
“Cute cabins, not bad.”
Reviewed 8 July 2008

It was nice to have our own little log cabin. They are about the size of an average double motel room with bathroom. The panel on the front screen door was loose and about to fall out. The venetian blinds were bent at one end. The air conditioner worked ok thankfully. So, the place is not perfect, but is just fine for a night or two. Tropic is tiny, but it has a couple of restaurants and a grocery store. Nice to be so close to Bryce and Grand Staircase.

• Liked — It's a standalone log cabin
  • Disliked — Lack of attention to small details in cabin maintenance
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank EasyGoingTraveler77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Raleigh
Reviewed 5 July 2008

The pictures on the website depict a nice cozy farm and cabin feel. When we arrived we discovered we were about 50 feet from a busy highway. ACROSS the highway are some poor neglected horses that people feed weeds from the road beside of them. Behind the house that I'm guessing the owners live in is a ramshakle shed that has a buffaloe in it and futher back there might be some sheep. I wasn't brave enough to venture that far back because it looks like somewhere you're not supposed to go. I wouldn't know because there is NO information given to you upon check-in We arrieved around 4pm and had to bang on the owners door. Finally a rumpled looking man came around the house complaining he had just sat down (sorry, I thought we might try checking in at check in time). He handed over the keys and pointed out the way to the cabin then told us to just leave the drop box on the way out (wouldn't want to bother him again). So in the front your view is the busy highway and a cemetary and some kind of industrial plant thing. Out the back is a pretty view of the surrounding mountains and a nice green farm. If the people in the next cabin happen to be seating at their picinic table you can wave to them from your bathroom window, how nice. Speaking of bathrooms, the shower is barely big enough to turn around in (coming from a average size woman, you can not shave your legs in here ladies!) There is no place to lay things around the sink thats outside of the bathroom stuck in a corner. The AC was a joke, it only worked if you stood infront of it and turned it down to about 66. The website says fresh, new and decorated in country style, yep, right out of Wal-mart the washed out comforters, sheets and towels made my skin crawl, the pillows were old and nasty with stains on them. The worst part of the hotel is how far it is from Bryce National Park. It seemed like it would be close, but the drive is along a steep mountain road. If you're going back and forth a couple times or even once during the day it's too much, especially with gas being what it is these days. Oh yes, almost forgot about the "3 great restaurants within walking distance." Yes, you can walk to them along that highway, they are not great. They are OK, not great. The pizza place is good, but not so clean. All the waitresses were coughing and the bathroom was kind of yucky. Clarks is alright but food is overcooked and they gave us sourcream with our bread...weird. If I had it to do over again, I'd stay at Ruby's, it looked better and was much closer to the park.

• Liked — That we only had to stay 2 nights
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank belllyjean
utah
Reviewed 23 June 2008

I booked a cabin in March by sending in the fax with credit card AND calling the owner to confirm. I received a confirmation and my credit card was charged. My vacation was in July so I booked early and emailed the owner in June to reconfirm. I waited 2 days for a response in which they told me they did not reserve the cabin for me because they could not charge my card!!! I faxed my charge proof to them. They had full voice mail, no response by fax or email until 2 days later "sorry we did not know it went thru, we will credit your card"...One week before my vacation!!! They ruined my vacation and don't have the decency to call me. Stay away from this place!

• Disliked — owners poor service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank dontogo
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 30 May 2008

Compared to the poor reviews and complaints of cleanliness of the other motels in trip advisor, a few months ago Bryce Country Cabins sounded like the only safe place to stay and we wanted to stay away from the mayhem of Ruby's. It was clean, it was away from mayhem and yet close to Bryce NPS, however, I agree with previous reviewer, the road is noisy. It is the major road and the decor is pretty minimal. Compared to the price of other places, it seems high...I guess "clean" is worth a lot!

In general, Tropic is a problem. The grocery store was minimal and we purchased moldy bread there (and exchanged it the next day), but the restaurant there, Clark's was OK. The pizza place, the only other restaurant in town, had horrible service so we left after not being seated or acknowledged. Dinner became frozen dinners in the microwave! So maybe you do just have to put up with Ruby's for a night?!?!?

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — It is in Tropic
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank litkt
Alaska
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We decided to stay in Tropic, as it is just a 10 minute drive from Bryce National Park, and would keep us away from the hustle and bustle of Ruby's. The cabins are clean, have a nice atmosphere, and from the front offer a nice view looking across Highway 12 (and the local cemetery) up into Bryce. It was quiet until about 6 am, when traffice heading out of this small town started up- the speed limit increases right in front of the cabins. But, no one comes to Bryce to sleep in anyway. We went up to view the sunset over Bryce Canyon the evening we arrived, and did have the dinner buffet at Ruby's- you can buy beer and wine with your meal there, in comparison to the local restaurants in Tropic.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — morning traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank akwild
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 25 April 2008

Yes, like a prior reviewer, Bryce Country Cabins also ripped us off. We should've checked here first. We reserved several days there, meeting some friends in 2 other units. We wanted to cut short our stay so I canceled the 4th and last day a couple of days before our arrival - the first day of our stay.

They interpreted that as within 3 days and did not return the deposit. Any other place would consider that 6 days in advance and refund. To top it off they charge another 25 for that. So we should not have told them and just left, saving the 25 at least. That's right, it cost more to cancel and return the room to them than to walk away!

Their staff is nasty rude and they retroactively claimed the rate is different although we only asked for AAA rate. This was in Oct. of 2007. We notified AAA and requested they investigate and remove their approval of this motel operator for their dishonest practices.

There are lots of other places in Tropic and also in Panguitch so this one should be avoided unless it is a one night drive by and vacant.

What a crook. My friends are amazed and we will all tell people to stay away from this one. And I travel through UT a lot so I know, I've never found a place this dishonest.

• Disliked — nasty desk staff both in person and on phone
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank festernboyle
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 September 2007

As others have stated, this is the best place to stay in/around Bryce. We booked 3 cabins for a total of 8 family members and everyone was thrilled w/the accomodations. We loved the little town (within walking distance), were visited by the cat, saw the new puppy, buffalo and assorted ranch dogs on property.

We enjoyed the horse back ride into Bryce Canyon one morning and the fabulous scenery throughout the area. You can't go wrong booking a cabin here and enjoying some quiet time.

Stayed August 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tropic
Best Western Plus Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel
Stone Canyon Inn
Stone Canyon Inn
#1 of 5 in Tropic
Bryce Trails Bed and Breakfast

Been to Bryce Canyon Country Cabins? Share your experiences!