“Great, though some dilly-dallying around”

Don Hatch River Day Expeditions
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Vernal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Grants, NM
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great, though some dilly-dallying around”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Did I spell that right?

We went on the "day trip" though Split Mountain, but it's more like a half-day trip on the river, with the rest of the time spent in transit or on a quick visit to some interesting petroglyphs. If you are an experienced rafter, this trip will be too tame.

That said, it's a GREAT experience for kids and families!!!, and the GUIDES ARE WONDERFUL. So, one star off for the time spent off the river, four very enthusiastic stars for everything else. GO FOR IT! Well worth it, even with the logistical delays and what-not on shore.

Cumberland, Rhode Island
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“One Day of Fun”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I went on the one day Split Mountain rafting trip on August 16th. During this time of the year, the water flow is relatively low and most of the rapids were class 2. This trip is really for enjoying the beautiful scenery and getting wet. If the class 2 rapids don't get you soaked then the water fights between the rafts will. The lunch stop is well timed and the food is hearty: make your own sandwiches, fruit, and snacks. The guides are professional and fun. I would love to come back a do a longer trip in the spring.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Rafting the Green River!”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Some things to know about the Split Mountain day trip with OARS/Don Hatch. You don't go rafting right away. You start out with a 45 minute bus ride to petroglyphs- fun, but the movie shown on the website makes it seems as if this excusion is part of a shore visit during rafting. Rafting doesn't get starting until mid-morning. The guides are the best thing about the trip- very knowledgeable, and they make the trip fun (especially for the kids.) In mid-summer, low river levels cause the rapids to be tamer, so more like Class I-II than III-IV. Lunch, although set up by the guides in expert fashion, is just deli meats, fruit, pringles & cookies. Basically, this is a 1/2 day trip streched out to a whole day trip. We've been on a number of these, and others have covered the same amount of river in a 1/2 day. A steep cost for the actual time on the river!

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Timeisanabstract
Sacramento, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Gates of Ladore Canyon - 5 days - Green River through Dinosaur Monument”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

To: OARS / Don Hatch River Trips

Re: Green River - Gates of Ladore to Split Mountain - 5 Days

What an awesome trip! I've been a river-boater for 36 years and wanted to introduce my 9-year old son to the sport that I love. I couldn't have made a better choice for river trip and outfitter for my son's first descent. Our guides, Matt, Russ, and Colin were just outstanding in every way. They were a 'ton of fun' and made my son's first whitewater experience a total blast - the little guy had 'the time of his life' and he can't wait to do another trip. Our guides were genuine and good-natured. They worked hard to make everyone comfortable and happy. All of the guides were fun-loving, humorous, and knowledgeable. Matt, Russ, and Colin were a pleasure to be around - they paid a lot of attention to my son to make sure the young boy had fun, and for that, I am grateful. The food was great, as well as healthy and plentiful. The whitewater and side-hikes were terrific adventures for families. The 5 days gave plenty of time for a relaxing schedule and nice pace for the trip. I guess you can say that 'we are happy campers.' We'll be back, for sure, for another great adventure with you guys. Thanks for a wonderful and truly memorable experience.

'Doc G'

San Francisco, California
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Professional River Guides, Great Time”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We took two one-day river trips on the Green River: Flaming Gorge just downriver of Flaming Gorge Dam, and Split Mountain Gorge in Dinosaur National Monument. Impressed with the professionalism of the entire operation. River guides are well trained and customer oriented, safety is a number one priority, and last but not least the scenery and river are beautiful.

The office staff was very accommodating; originally my 83-year old mother was going to spend a day at the museum while we went on the river trips, but the staff made a change in the set-up of one of the rafts that allowed my mother to take the Flaming Gorge river trip. She said,"This was not on my bucket list, but I'm sure glad I did it!" This trip was the highlight of my mother's 3-week vacation!

Highly recommend "Don Hatch River Day Expeditions" white water adventure for anyone!