“Outstanding!”

and 1 more site!
Twin Farms
Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This is the first review I have written. Having graduated from the Hotel School at Cornell, having spent 8 years as an Owner's Rep in the industry (managing 5 Four Seasons Hotels amongst many others), having lived and traveled extensively in Europe at many luxury resorts I will admit that I can be hard to please. My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at Twin Farms after having to cancel a planned trip to rock climb in the French Alps due to illness. Word of mouth from everyone we knew who had stayed was very good but I was expecting stuffy, pretentious, kitschy and bug bites. Instead, I was truly blown away. Every detail was taken care of and done with forethought from the upkeep of our cottage (Log Cabin) to the vast choices of sunscreen, chilled beverages and stand-up paddleboards at the ready by the Pond. We never saw housekeeping yet out cottage was cleaned by the time we returned from breakfast. Each and every staff member was incredibly well-trained and, more importantly, followed through with any and every request with a smile and friendly demeanor. Want a picnic down by the pond at 1:30? It will be there. Change your mind at 1:00 p.m. and decide you would like a chilled bottle of the delicious Sauvignon Blanc from last night's starter course along with lunch? No problem. You must be prepared for a lot of eating and drinking, as meals are at the forefront at this resort. Be sure to spend some time on the questionnaire regarding food preferences before you get there because it is taken VERY seriously and to the letter. This is THE place for picky eaters and gourmands alike. The sommelier was equal parts knowledgable, chatty, enthusiastic and friendly. It appears that everyone who works there loves their job. I did find it just a bit strange that in the 4 nights, 5 days we were there I never saw the GM on property but the staff were all at the top of their game anyway! My only suggestion is about the Furo, the co-ed indoor Japanese hot tub: it should be made clear in a sign that bathing suits are optional, or there should be a way to indicate (hang a certain sign outside?) the use of the tub and your state of dress ( or undress! ) so that no one feels uncomfortable. My husband and I chose the no-suit option, and I fear we made the couple who were in their bathing suits self-conscious and uncomfortable.
While the price might be prohibitive for some, we felt it was worth every penny and in fact quite a good deal when you consider the quality of facilities, size of cottages and rooms, delicious high quality food, amazing wines ( and beers, cocktails, anything and everything ) and no tipping accepted at all. We never left the property, never put our hand in our pocket and loved every minute. We have already discussed coming back in the Winter to snowshoe the property and have dinner in front of our fireplace, one option we didn't get a chance to sample this time.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele K
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Michele K,
Thank You for your extensive review of Twin Farms and our many services! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hard work of the entire staff throughout the property. I am very sorry that I missed you, unfortunately I was traveling and away from Twin Farms during your visit. Please contact me to help plan your next stay and I will make sure we meet! Thank You for your input on the Furo and we will work to make that experience flawless, so no one feels uncomfortable. Thank You again for staying with us and I look forward to meeting you at Twin Farms in the future!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We started going to Twin Farms in 2005 and recently returned for yet another visit.The good news is that Twin Farms is maintaining its high standards with superb food and facilities, a great staff and, of course, individual accommodations each with its own character and setting, e.g. meadow; woods; hillside etc.. This was our first visit in the summer and the private lake provides excellent swimming and boating, while there are abundant hiking and biking opportunities. Ranks in our top three US favourites (the other favourites: Dunton Hot Springs and Post Ranch Inn). Please note: Twin Farms is all inclusive: you never see the bill after you arrive (unless you have special spa treatments or request "reserve wines") and it is not for those on a limited budget. Superb quality has a price attached.

Room Tip: Each accommodation is unique: you need to view the website to select the cottage that suits your tas...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plkmtk

plkmtk,
Thank You for joining us for your first summer stay at Twin Farms! It was a pleasure to see you both and show you all that we have to offer in the warmer months. Please contact me when I can help plan your next winter getaway. Thank You again and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I'm picky and spoiled. I am hard to impress. With that said, I'm impressed. As a return guest after 11-12 years I figured something at twinfarms would start to show its age, but the place is pristine. Service is impeccable, facilities clean and new and food was incredible!!!

Here's the carzy thing, its not THAT expensive. I stay In suites in NYC that are the same price and they include nothing, no food, no services and no alcohol. This place is all inclusive at thiks price point.

Thank you Twin Farms for an amazing 20th anniversary. Next time I won't wait so long to return.

Room Tip: Aviary was magnificent.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

drgmBoston,
Thank You for joining us for your very special anniversary! We were happy to welcome you back, and pleased you enjoyed The Aviary. It was great to see you enjoying the Wine Cellar dinner for your special occasion! Please let us know when we may plan your next getaway or special occasion.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have traveled the world 10x over...I have been truly blessed to have stayed in some wonderful places...with that said...Twin Farms is in the top 3, and that is saying a lot.....Yes...this place is cost prohibitive for many, with that said...if you can treat yourself once in your life...a must go to place...for just a special occasion or a needed weekend getaway..I highly recommend Twin Farms. I am looking forward to another trip in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Defender66
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Defender66,
Thank You for your review and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! We are also honored that you consider us in your top three hotel experiences in the world. Please do come back in another season to enjoy all that Vermont and Twin Farms has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Twin Farms

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My partner and I knew we wanted to get married in Vermont. Initially we were planning over a year out, but our plans changed after Supreme Court ruling and we wanted to get married in less than a month.

Thank goodness we found Twin Farms! Immediately, they had people in contact with us recommending venues on property, florists, photographers, and asking us about the kind of meal and cake we wanted after our ceremony. It was like a wedding planner was included in our package. Azusa made sure everything was perfect, including getting our own private dining room after the wedding. She took extra care to drive us around to look at sites, arrange for pickup at airport, assist with getting marriage certificate, etc.

And that doesn't even begin to describe the experience that is Twin Farms. Immediately on arrival, every staff member knows your names, your lodging, any special requests. We never once had to remind anyone of food requests at dinner. With only ~40 guests on site at a time, the staff really get to know you and treat you like family. In fact, the manager, Michael was always around making sure that our expectations were met (as well as congratulating us).

Plus, everything is included, and they mean everything. Same day laundry, car service to nearby town of Woodstock, all meals - including picnics, or dining in room. We called for milk and cookies a few nights and they magically showed up (hot and fresh).

There's so much more I could stay about our stay, but overall it was incredible and fantastic. We could have had our small wedding at a cheaper price, but with Twin Farms, we got the experience of a lifetime. We can't wait to visit in Autumn and Winter.

Room Tip: We loved Barn Cottage. All cottages are much more private and spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajpruett
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear ajpruett,
Thank You for allowing us to make your wedding a memorable event! It was a pleasure to have met you both and I am pleased that our staff made your stay most enjoyable. Please do come back in our other seasons to take advantage of what Vermont has to offer throughout the year. We would also look forward to welcoming you back for an anniversary. Again, congratulations from all of us here at Twin Farms!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Our first trip to this gem in Vermont and expect to make many more visits in the future. Property was great, staff very attentive without being overbearing and there's enough possible activities to keep everyone occupied. The Aviary was our cottage and turned out to be everything we could've expected. The food was very good and we enjoyed being pleasantly surprised with our lunch and dinners where the Chef took into account your likes, dislikes and allergies and cooked variations to cater to each individual.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

R S,
Thank You for visiting us during this spectacular summer we are having. Our culinary team is thrilled to utilize the summers’ bounty from local farms we partner with and our own on-site gardens to provide you with the freshest and most creative dishes during your stay. We truly appreciate your loyal support and taking the time share your experiences.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just returned from an amazing visit to Twin Farms. We stayed in the Orchard cottage and we were impressed by every aspect. The staff is wonderful and very accommodating. We can't wait to go back and visit again soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MichaelTwinFarms, General Manager at Twin Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Nathan R,

It was a pleasure to have met you both during your visit. Thank You for your kind words to our staff and facility. Spring Time in Vermont is a wonderful time to visit with many outdoor activities to choose from. We look forward to your return and showing you both the many activities that are available in other seasons as well.

Michael Beardsley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
#4 of 13 in Killington
Woodstocker Inn
Woodstocker Inn
#4 of 15 in Woodstock

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!