“Agree about condescending manager”
Review of Twin Farms

Twin Farms
Ranked #2 of 4 Barnard B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2006

All the nice things said about this place are true, however, I have to agree with the previous reviewer's negative view of the general manager and the "clubby" feel. My husband and I are somewhat shy. While we were at Twin Farms different "social" events were planned (wine and cheese tastings, etc) which were a very nice idea, but we, too, were made to feel uncomfortable by the general manager and felt as if he were more interested in certain guests than others. It's hard to explain, but there was a certain obsequiousness/condescending nature about him.

Of course, not everyone can be happy about everything and this was a very nice place (other than the general manager).

I wonder if it was the same general manager who refused to offer a discount to the couple who had to sleep in a room without heat? I certainly would have demanded some sort of compensation for that.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank Chelsea_Girl_NYC

New York
Reviewed 22 June 2006

The peace and beauty of Twin Farms, with its understated elegance and casual refinement, can not be overstated. We were just blown away by the decor, the food, the wine. Our stay was outrageously expensive, but for a special occasion, worth every dollar. There was simply no compare to every single thing we ate and drank. The spa services were terrific -- though we recommend taking massages in your room -- the spa rooms, though beautifully deccorated, are not adequately sound proofed, and we could hear every word coming from outside the room during our massage -- a bit distracting, to say the least.

My only caution is: if you want to preserve the peace and bliss while you're at Twin Farms, you might need to retreat to your room. There was a clubby social feel in the dining room at dinner that the general manager seemed all too eager to encourage. For example, while drifting around the room talking to guests, he displayed such arrogance about the superiority of his hotel that we were itching to leave. We watched as he condescended to us, then tried to ingratiate himself with guests that he must have deemed as more worthy of his respect. His presence detracted from our experience. Our advice to travelers: stay in your blissful room with its views and its tranquility: the staff tells you over and over that they will bring everything to your room -- let them!

• Stayed: June 2006
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2006

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at Twin Farms. Everythings you heard about it is true -- it is the best of everything. Service, accommodations, meals -- everything. And all of it is included into one rate! We stayed in the Red's room in the Main House. Great room, about twice the size of any hotel room.

The staff is amazingly attentive, hence the service is truly great. They will provide anything you want -- all you have to do is ask. For example, I wanted a humidifier in the room. One was provided in about 20 min.

The rates seem pricey, before you go there. Once you see the kind of accommodations and food/wine you are in for, the prices would compare well to any NYC 5-star hotels and restaurants. Another nice "feature" -- the tips of 15% are charged based on your room rate. Once you get there, you can forget about your wallet. There is nothing to pay for, nor anything to sign.

One piece of advise: the place is well hidden. Request directions when making reservation. Your car's navigation system won't be of much help. Twin Farm's address within Barnard is not published.

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank world_traveler_ct
Reviewed 7 December 2005

When you hear such amazing things about a place AND you pay $1000 a night to stay there, you pretty much expect that EVERYTHING is going to be great. Not heaven on earth, mind you, but, at the very least that the heat in the bedroom you are staying in will be functioning.

We arrived at Twin Farms around 10pm on a Friday in mid-January back in 2003 or 2002. It was minus 18 degrees when we arrived (i remember this because the person who greeted us told us so.

I must say, the place was lovely, the person who showed us our room gracious and kind. The room was gorgeous. We had a wood burning fire place, but it was on the other side of our room and separated from our bedroom by a large chimney like wall (hence, the heat was pointing in the opposite direction from where we were to sleep). We put on the fire immediately, but were told by our host that we should turn on the heat in the room since it was so cold outside and the fireplace would not be sufficient.

Well, we turned on our heat, but it didn't work. We called downstairs, apologetically, as it was late, but they said there was nothing they could do about it until the next day. IT WAS A VERY VERY VERY cold night, despite the lovely bedding and the fireplace. any part of us that was not under the covers was literally stone cold. It was pretty bad - and i am from Vermont, so I am used to the cold.

The rest of our trip was great. They fixed the heat the following day. The food was amazing. We went skiing at their own private ski hill.

WHAT DISAPPOINTS ME WAS THAT WE WERE NOT OFFERED ANY FORM OF DISCOUNT OR AMENITY WHATSOEVER TO MAKE UP FOR THE FACT THAT WE HAD NO HEAT THE FIRST NIGHT. If you pay $1000 per night for a room and it's -20 degrees outside you should expect heat. If not, a discount at the very least would be very appreciated.

We mentioned something to the manager, he essentially said that he couldn't offer us anything - we didn't push the point. I am saddened, because it's the sort of place I would have returned to many times over if not for this bad experience.

We stay at nice hotels all the time. It's our hobby to try out highly rated hotels (in fact, I am thinking of starting a blog with my impressions of the places we stay). Given the great service we've received elsewhere , I am doubly surprised at the way we were treated. To make matters worse, they are still sending us mailings.

I am sorry that I can not write a glowing review for Twin Farms. I'm glad that others have had a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2003
50  Thank vtgirltravels
short hills, nj
Reviewed 29 July 2005

Expensive, but worth every penny! Twin Farms spoils you from ever going to another hotel. The service is impeccable, but not hovering or obsequious. The rooms and the grounds are gorgeous and the food and wine are incomparable. They have truly thought of every detail. We loved every minute of our stay there. Don't be put off by the price--you will have a vacation that you will always remember.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 30 March 2005

My husband and I had our first "date" at Twin Farms, then we got engaged there, and we go back when ever we can. The decor, food and service all come together in a graceful way. The service is the best I have ever found, because it lacks pretention. (When you are the best, there is no need for pretetiousness.) It is the perfect getaway for the quieter soul. This is not a see and be seen place. It is comfort for the humble and invisible.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 19 September 2004

I have spent many days at Twin Farms and I must say it is the most beautiful, fascinating, and luxurious property I have ever seen. You are pampered to the level that you desire. The service is always available, but does not hover. They are willing to meet all of your needs, and they seem like they care if you are even the slightest bit unhappy. I would live there if I could.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnard
506 On The River Inn
Killington Mountain Lodge
Killington Mountain Lodge
#2 of 13 in Killington
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to Twin Farms? Share your experiences!