“Barnard Tavern”

Barnard Inn Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Barnard
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We liked the approach, the grounds etc. We found the atmosphere in the Tavern not appropriate to the prices on the menu. The food was just soso, not bad, but not excellent. Felt like we were being rushed. Was handed the check and was told I could take a quick look. Usually I do not study the bill, but after being rushed I chose to take my time and asked her to come back in a few minutes.

There are newer reviews for Barnard Inn Restaurant

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stopped in Max's with our 2 children before the Street Dance. They obviously don't care for family patrons. We weren't made aware of any kid friendly dishes or offerings. It took at least 10 minutes for our waitress to come by. Our drinks were delivered after our meal. The butter for our $5 loaf of bread took so long the bread was cold by the time we ate it. The pulled pork was dry. The wiener schnitzel was good as well as the tomato bisque. We were over charged for one meal. An all around bad and unwelcoming experience.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just called in for an evening meal and was totally impressed with the quality of the food. Much of it was sourced locally. It was beautifully prepared and delicious. I had the vegetarian option which I would highly recommend.

2  Thank SuzanneSeattle
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had the good fortune to eat dinner here on our recent trip to Woodstock, VT. A local recommended it. All the ingrdients are very fresh (farm to table) and the portions are generous. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious. Our family of four enjoyed the pork chop, steak, bolagnese and tortellini dishes. Wow- it was superb. To top it off, we were seated in front of large bay window overlooking the beautiful flowers and green hills in the distance. It was an awesome dining experienece.

1  Thank NETraveler208
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Ate here with a female friend in the tavern. The prices are high and the portions too large--$14 for a salad with bleu cheese and pecans and $26 for a pasta with pork entree. Although we are normal eaters, we had heard the portions were large, so we split both the salad and the entree, which was more than enough for both of us. Both were delicious but we were glad not to have ordered separately. We would have wasted our money, as we couldn't take it with us.

My only complaint was the bread. They charge $5 for their home-baked bread and two tiny pats of herb butter. The bread was good but nothing special. However, they bring practically an entire loaf. If you are a large party, there is enough for everyone, but for two people, it was too much and too expensive. We took it with us, but it was stale the next day, even though it was kept in a plastic bag. I guess the waitress knew that would happen, as she said the bread would be good for French toast. I would not order it again.

The wine list is reasonably priced--generally about $7/glass and about $24/bottle. In most restaurants, you would get the very cheapest grocery store wine for that price, but their selection was better, even though I didn't care for the one I ordered--a rioja.

The service was very good and pleasant.

2  Thank Kona4